Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever bring a radio to the game?

after 10 years of attending nearly all the Ravens home games, this was the first time I brought a pocket radio with me.

I couldn't have it in my ear the whole time, felt like an old man and not as immersed in the game as I like to be.

Having said that, it was cool to have at halftime when I heard about the QB change as well as listening to the remaining 3:00 minutes on the clock for the long walk to the parking garage.

Do you take a radio with you? If so, what station? I had it on 98 Rock.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Ever bring a radio to the game?

I listen to WBAL (same broadcast) on headphones so it isn't a task. It's nice to get injury updates and they help with replays we don't get in the stadium despite the jumbotrons the people running don't know how to work.

speaking of the jumbo trons, why was the screen blacked out on one side of the field for some of the replays while the other screen was working?

Wink Re: Ever bring a radio to the game?

Ironic that you made your post. I brought radio built into headphones for the 1st time since the 2003 season yesterday. My wife had made me stop because she couldn't get my attention to explain each play -- she sat out yesterday due to the wind & cold.

Radio adds a little to what you can't see on the video boards. Not worth the effort for most of the plays, especially since the announcing team has gone so far downhill from Scott Garceau + Tom Matte + Mittermyer. But very valuable when leaving my seat. The TVs on the south concourse are totally worthless due to sun glare, and the radios in the restrooms are overwhelmed by drunken assholes who want to shout, instead of listening to the game.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Your wife often has to explain the plays to you T?

Anywho, if I'm forced by my wife and my mother (or as I call them, the Duel-Head Hydra) to attend an Alabama game I always carry a radio. Mainly because I want to see how often Eli Gold says, "John Parker Wilson". Wilson is the Tide's QB but ol' Eli can't say Wilson or John. He has to say John Parker Wilson everytime. One game last year we heard John Parker Wilson 90+ times in a three hour game. Once again, John Parker Wilson just so you can see how annoying it really is.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Ironic that you made your post. I brought radio built into headphones for the 1st time since the 2003 season yesterday. My wife had made me stop because she couldn't get my attention to explain each play -- she sat out yesterday due to the wind & cold.
    You are killing me man. I need to have a beer with you. I split tix with a co worker so the next home game for me is the hated stillers here.

Hit me back.

always...i need it for injury updates, official reviews, bathroom breaks. other than that, it sits under my seat. also my radio has a t.v. tuner so there are times i might tune into steelers game or other scoreboard watcher games.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGlennDale View Post
    You are killing me man. I need to have a beer with you. I split tix with a co worker so the next home game for me is the hated stillers here.

Hit me back.
    Beer ....schmeer ... it will likely be too cold for a brewskie before the Dec 14th Stillers game. Come by Lot J anytime after 9 am or so and have a drink on me. Great!

Here's where we hide out (red block):

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Having said that, it was cool to have at halftime when I heard about the QB change
    You mean you didn't listen to the band?

Personally I've never brought a radio to the game, reminds me of old people. Out of curiosities sake, is that what everyone did back in the day before stadium loud speakers?

speaking of the jumbo trons, why was the screen blacked out on one side of the field for some of the replays while the other screen was working?
    I think I know what you are talking about, they usually black out the scoreboard if we are going to kick a FG, and I think I remember a timeout before one of the FG's, they just have the logo's up.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Personally I've never brought a radio to the game, reminds me of old people. Out of curiosities sake, is that what everyone did back in the day before stadium loud speakers?

When did a football stadium not have loudspeakers? The 1920s? The sound from Memorial Stadium's loudspeakers carried to Greenmount Avenue. I don't think there's anyone around today who attended NFL games without loudspeakers.

Guess again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

Radio adds a little to what you can't see on the video boards. Not worth the effort for most of the plays, especially since the announcing team has gone so far downhill from Scott Garceau + Tom Matte + Mittermyer. But very valuable when leaving my seat. The TVs on the south concourse are totally worthless due to sun glare, and the radios in the restrooms are overwhelmed by drunken assholes who want to shout, instead of listening to the game.
    Boy, you got that right! Try listening to the game without the visuals - it's extremely difficult to follow the action at all. Pretty sad.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."