Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 key things for the Colts game

I see these 2 stats being MAJOR factors in which team wins:

1. Red Zone TD conversion %:
    I believe the Colts are around 56%...we are worst of all the playoff teams at 42%. We can NOT settle for FGs vs a team like the Colts.

2. Field position
    I can see the defense stopping the Colts for a WHILE...but not the entire game. When we do stop them we must take advantage of the field position. This has been a major problem since Sams got hurt.

Thoughts,

FM

Re: 2 key things for the Colts game

I honestly think this game will come down to which team scores more then the other.

but what do i know?

I want to see a successful pass rush without blitzes. If we can reach Manning only rushing 4 then we should be able to contain them with the occasional turnover.

Our touchdowns will come. Fresh legs for everyone, remember. . .
    [fingers crossed]
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I think the keys to the game are:

1. Ravens score early and maintain the lead throughout the game.
    2. Rush and Sack Manning. Hit him hard. Hurt him if you have to. He is very ineffective, when he is running scared.
    3. The offense needs long drives, like 6 to 7 minutes long. No 3 and outs for
    the offense.
    4. The running game has to gain over 75 yards. If Jamal can't get it done, put in Mike Anderson.

Generating a rush with minimal blitzes will be a key. I saw PJ Loserman be fairly sucessful early with quick slants, and saw the Indys do the same early against KC. If we can negate that option by only rushing 4 or 5 and keeping people back, I think we win fairly comfortably. Addai will be a non factor, and Peyton may become frustrated. If that happens, it'll be over.

PS: "Pity the Fool" that dares to wear blue & white to the vault.

As long as the Ravens stay in a 3-4 defense, they will confuse Peyton and test him often. Everyone knows that he doesn't do well against 3-4 defenses.

I think this game needs to be a running back-by-committee, using Jamal, Mike and Ovie. I think that makes it harder for the Colts D to stop just one player.

This is not the same team we had when they played Week 1 of last year. Scott wasn't a starter, Ngata wasn't here and the Boller/Wright combo was disasterous. We'll be up to the challenge
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Take the lead and make them play from behind.

Pressure on Manning.

Win the turnover battle (although you can pretty much say that about every game, I really think it will be especially key here. Taking an early lead will likely help in this regard. Make them try to catch up to us, not the other way around).

Extraordinarly loud crowd noise.

> I think this game needs to be a running back-by-committee, using
    > Jamal, Mike and Ovie.
    I find it surprising to hear people say this even still. Do people not remember how poorly we did with a running back by committee with Jim Fassell as OC?

The thing about Jamal Lewis is, he *can* be caught at the line of scrimmage, but the defense has to devote defenders to doing it, because though you can catch him, you still have to tackle him, which takes a few bodies. So we don't get massive rushing yards, but we do force the hand of the opposing defensive coordinator, and by getting the strong safety's attention in our backfield we help the passing game.

Usual disclaimers about being an armchair quarterback apply, but that's how I see what's happened this season. Also RavensFanIAm I'm not trying to pick on you, I've heard others say the same thing.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

We control Manning we control the game. Simple.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

I'm not too worried about the defense keeping Manning in check. I am worried about the offense being able to generate points. The performance vs Buffalo was less than comforting.

FM

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I want to see a successful pass rush without blitzes.
    That isn't likely to happen, they have a very good OL. We will need to send 5 on most occasions. They key will be mixing it up so they never know which 5 are on the way. This is why having AD, Suggs, Scott, Pryce' Ray, Reed, Landry and even the CBs we have is key. Any of those guys can be back in coverage or rushing the QB. Hell, even Ngata has dropped off in zone on occasion. The key will be to make him rush just a little and confuse him with the coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanIAm View Post
    As long as the Ravens stay in a 3-4 defense, they will confuse Peyton and test him often. Everyone knows that he doesn't do well against 3-4 defenses.
    I think we need to disguise our D-schemes as much as possible, and NOT allow Manning to get a clue as to what we are throwing at him. Also, we need to stuff Addai and Rhodes, keep AD on Clarke, keep an eye on Utech, and give Rolle whatever help he needs to try to prevent getting beat deep.

From what I've seen of Manning this year, if our D can't punish him and his offense, then there's something very wrong. Our D is for real; he's been doing a lot of smoke and mirrors this year, like the "win" against KC. Indy hasn't really dominated anyone this year. And Manning has proven to be even less effective in the post season. He is a choker, and our D needs to put their feet on his throat (figuratively, not literally) and not let up for 4 quarters.

The only question I have is how well our D will perform against the no huddle. In the past, the inability to get the right personnel in seems to have hurt us; it's really the only time I've ever seen our D look out of sync.

I think this game needs to be a running back-by-committee, using Jamal, Mike and Ovie. I think that makes it harder for the Colts D to stop just one player.
    I've been saying this for quite some time now. I hope BB really understands how important this is. It seems as if he's been involving Ovie more; I'd like to see him extend that to Mike also.

This is not the same team we had when they played Week 1 of last year. Scott wasn't a starter, Ngata wasn't here and the Boller/Wright combo was disasterous. We'll be up to the challenge
    What about Landry, Pryce, Kock, & D-Will? Last year's team isn't even a shell of this year's team. 6-10 vs. 13-3 isn't hype. These Ravens are for real; the Colts are the smoke and mirrors team, IMO.

GO RAVENS!!! (41-0 when +2 in turnovers)