Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can this team man-up?

I'm sort of curious what all of you think regarding our team's ability to 'bounce back'? This was a beatdown of monumental proportions. I can only draw an analogy to the Frazier-Foreman fight of years back: "Frazahh is down...Frazahh is down", in the words of the late great Howard Cosell. Well, the Ravens D was Frazier, and the Giants collective offense was Foreman, who just Pounded the living day lights out of our boys in purple. After a pounding like that, can this team mentally rebound? The mental aspect of life is always the hardest thing to deal with after a personal beatdown. Frazier never really recovered mentally (and physically) after that fight, and the jury is still out on whether the Ravens D can rebound. With a savvy QB coming to town next week, how will this team contain him? Our pass rush/pass defense sucks, and we'll need a superb performance by this collective bunch to pull out a win. With Ray Lewis at the helm, I believe the answer is yes; but there is only so much he can do. If these guys are truly whipped, there is nothing Ray can do to reenergize this group - it takes a team who can impose its will on its opponent that will move towards the playoffs. I guess we'll get the answer on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it!
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 11-17-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Can this team man-up?

If the linebackers tackle like we know they can, those two long runs don't happen and the game may have gone the other way.

To me, the team as a whole just looked gassed. No speed, no pressure on the QB (Suggs just disappeared)...no push by the OL.

I hope Harbs chalks this up as a bad day at the office, on the road against a better team...and gives them the next 2 days off. Then works on tackling drills.

I have no doubt that they'll come out strong on Sunday.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

A beat down of monumental proportions? Are you for real? The Colts game was a beat down. That was not a beat down.

Our guys were whipped on both sides of the ball - that's a whipping! When you get punched in the mouth like we did, that, my friend, is a whipping, just ask anyone on our defensive front. Guys were whiffing on tackles, and did Not want any part of the Giants.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Our guys were whipped on both sides of the ball - that's a whipping! When you get punched in the mouth like we did, that, my friend, is a whipping, just ask anyone on our defensive front. Guys were whiffing on tackles, and did Not want any part of the Giants.
    please, Ray missed one tackle, the difference was our defensive line wasn't keeping the o-linemen off of him like they have been.

They got all of their rushing yards on two big plays...one of which when the game was 27-10. I'm sorry, that's not a beat down, especially when you are still in the game at the end of the 3rd qtr.

What I saw was a defense that was over-eager to shut down the Giant #1 rush offense. We overpursed on a number of plays and left the backside wide open. Overpursuit left us with bad angles, and you can't bring down those backs with arm tackles from bad angles.

I don't think we got dominated up front. In fact, on their explosive runs we had great penetration. That's what made the game so frustrating. Our line penetrates, and gets to the back 3 yards deep, but doesn't make the tackle and he goes for a big run.

If the Giants were consistently ripping off 5-6-7 yd runs, I'd call it dominating. What I saw today was us getting shocked by some great individual efforts by the Giant running backs, and not being able to regroup before it was too late.

All depends on which defense shows up, IMO.

Ray is always there so I am not worried about him.

But Suggs? Scott? Ngata? It wasnt like these guys were getting blown off the ball of anything. Bad tackling killed as on D as much as anything.

I mean, who tries to tackle Jacobs up high? Yet, that's all you saw from these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    the difference was our defensive line wasn't keeping the o-linemen off of him like they have been.
    Agreed; but our Defense Needs to tackle a hell of a lot better, and play with more emotion! That was Not evident yesterday, in large part because the Giants just punched us in the mouth, and took the game to us - that should not happen.

I think this is Scott's last year as a Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    If the linebackers tackle like we know they can, those two long runs don't happen and the game may have gone the other way.

To me, the team as a whole just looked gassed. No speed, no pressure on the QB (Suggs just disappeared)...no push by the OL.

I hope Harbs chalks this up as a bad day at the office, on the road against a better team...and gives them the next 2 days off. Then works on tackling drills.

I have no doubt that they'll come out strong on Sunday.
    Me too.

As far as Suggs goes, he made the weirdest move on one of the Giants long runs where they bounced it back outside. As the outside guy on the weak side of the D-line, Suggs should have responsibility for containing the run to the inside. As soon as the ball was snapped, he appeared to take an inside route right between the tackle and guard, who promptly sandwiched him, leaving the outside wide open. The weird thing about it was he didn't appear to read the play at all. It seemed like he decided, prior to the snap, that's what he was going to do. Bizarre. Maybe filmstudy can confirm this. I didn't get it at ALL.

Blog Entries

I think this team can and will man-up...to be rushed all over on when we're supposed to be the #1 rush defense...if they don't man up against the Eagles, you might as well blow up this defense then. If there was ever a time to have Ray lead and inspire, it's now.

I think this loss, combined with the Eagles spotty play of late, points to a much more exciting game for us next week....still a challenge, but I think we will get it done against them, especially for Harb's facing his former team.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Relax people.

Ray Lewis leads this team.

They will bounce back.

Did we bounce back after having our heads handed to us at Indy??

Watch how hard we hit the Iggles Sunday.:hammer: