Thread: Drug Reform

Drug Reform

Some interesting things happened as far as drug reform during the election. Now that I have recovered from my 7 day hangover of joy, I have taken a look at some other important ballot issues. The two major victories are:

Massachusettes decriminalized marijuana:

Question 2: Remove the threat of arrest or jail for possessing an ounce or less of marijuana, replacing it with a $100 fine, which could be paid through the mail without lawyers or court appearances, just like a speeding ticket.

Michigan approved marijuana for medical use:

Proposal 1: Permit terminally and seriously ill patients to use medical marijuana with their doctors' approval.

California lost:

Proposition 5: Expand the number of drug offenders diverted from prison into treatment and decriminalize the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana, among other things.

geez...that combined with Prop 8 deosn't make California look so progressive after all.

more at : http://www.mpp.org/library/2008-ballot-initiatives.html

While I am at it there are some great things going on at Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). MAPS President Rick Doblin has been a groundbreaker for obtaining funds and FDA/DEA approval to begin experimentation with drugs such as MDMA and LSD to gather more information about the effects of the drugs and study whether there is any psychotherapeutic benefits of these drugs.

http://www.maps.org/

Just to be clear, I am not a drug user nor do I condone the use of drugs. 75% of my work is with adolescents and adults who abuse substances. I understand there are those who are able to manage their lives with the use of drugs. To make drugs illegal has not prevented the use of them. We need to stop wasting money on policeing and jailing drug users. We should be educating and treating them...as well as taxing them.

A quote from a recent email I received: Now that our fellow citizens have done their part to hand the government a huge mandate for a major paradigm shift, it’s now time for President Elect Obama and his administration to do their part to put science before politics when it comes to medical marijuana research

Re: Drug Reform

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Some interesting things happened as far as drug reform during the election. Now that I have recovered from my 7 day hangover of joy, I have taken a look at some other important ballot issues. The two major victories are:

Massachusettes decriminalized marijuana:

Question 2: Remove the threat of arrest or jail for possessing an ounce or less of marijuana, replacing it with a $100 fine, which could be paid through the mail without lawyers or court appearances, just like a speeding ticket.

Michigan approved marijuana for medical use:

Proposal 1: Permit terminally and seriously ill patients to use medical marijuana with their doctors' approval.

California lost:

Proposition 5: Expand the number of drug offenders diverted from prison into treatment and decriminalize the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana, among other things.

geez...that combined with Prop 8 deosn't make California look so progressive after all.

more at : http://www.mpp.org/library/2008-ballot-initiatives.html

While I am at it there are some great things going on at Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). MAPS President Rick Doblin has been a groundbreaker for obtaining funds and FDA/DEA approval to begin experimentation with drugs such as MDMA and LSD to gather more information about the effects of the drugs and study whether there is any psychotherapeutic benefits of these drugs.

http://www.maps.org/

Just to be clear, I am not a drug user nor do I condone the use of drugs. 75% of my work is with adolescents and adults who abuse substances. I understand there are those who are able to manage their lives with the use of drugs. To make drugs illegal has not prevented the use of them. We need to stop wasting money on policeing and jailing drug users. We should be educating and treating them...as well as taxing them.

A quote from a recent email I received: Now that our fellow citizens have done their part to hand the government a huge mandate for a major paradigm shift, it’s now time for President Elect Obama and his administration to do their part to put science before politics when it comes to medical marijuana research
    Do we at least agree that the war on drugs is a bigger waste of money then the war on terrorism? At least the war on terrorism has reduced terrorism, whereas the war on drugs has expanded their use, and trafficking.
    Decriminilizing Marijuana, and legalizing it's medicinal use nationwide would be a great step towards reducing the federal budget. This would SIGNIFICANTLY reduce court and prison costs.

Re: Drug Reform

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Do we at least agree that the war on drugs is a bigger waste of money then the war on terrorism? At least the war on terrorism has reduced terrorism, whereas the war on drugs has expanded their use, and trafficking.
    Decriminilizing Marijuana, and legalizing it's medicinal use nationwide would be a great step towards reducing the federal budget. This would SIGNIFICANTLY reduce court and prison costs.
    Finally, sir, something I can jump on board and agree with you 100%, wholeheartedly.! What a colossal waste of money and resources!!!!
    And, might I add, the TRUTHFUL education about their usage would be money much better spent than the current "just say no" approach!!!!