Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TL's Letter To Ernie

Tony,

As a friend I would only hope that you mailed that letter. I also agree with you on that matter and you know that most of the fans on these boards also share your thoughts. Byner does not belong in our Ring at all. Some fans will still be pissed when we add Jamal Lewis for his trash talking the city when he left, however the truth is he holds the records and the yards. Can we make it a petition like Colts Heritage and then send Ernie one big list of Ravens Fans asking the man to do the correct thing. I have nothing against the man as a player and I supported him when he was with our team, but he is not a Raven in the eyes of the rest of the NFL so why should he be in our ring. That is like us trying to get PrimeTime Dion to enter the HOF as a Raven ... It just would not happen and it would be wrong!

Great Letter and Lets Keep This Movement Going!

FREE THE RING ?? (( really original LOL!! ))

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Re: TL's Letter To Ernie

I have been asked via a blog post to forward the letter below to Ernest Byner. It represents how I feel about his inclusion in the Ravens' Ring of Honor so sending it to him doesn't require courage or "cojones" as suggested in a blog response. It's simply the right thing to do...

Now I can tell you that my feelings alone won't sway Ernest Byner. It will take the opinions and feelings of many to have a snowball's chance. Here is the link to the blog entitled, Ernest Byner needs to step up and take down his own placard. Post your thoughts and then in an email to Ernie, I will provide a link to the blog so he can see that my feelings are supported by many.

Let's see what we can do TOGETHER. Here's the letter:

Dear Ernie,

I’m writing this letter to you in an attempt to appeal to your sense of reasonability and your assumed appreciation for the history and tradition of the National Football League.

Back in 2000 during halftime of a game between the Ravens and the Browns, you became the first inductee into the Ravens’ Ring of Honor. You later admitted, "That [award] was a tremendous thrill. My legacy was the tie between two cities."

Now you must admit and understand that the Ring of Honor is a prestigious award. It is intended to honor Ravens of the past who performed on and off the field with distinction. Please allow me to be perfectly frank here Ernie, your career as a Raven was hardly distinguished. And as the inaugural inductee, you should represent the standard upon which all future inductees are measured.

Let’s talk about measurements…

During your two seasons as a Raven, you rushed for 947 yards, had 398 yards receiving and you scored five touchdowns in 14 total starts in 1996 and 1997. As of this writing, your rushing totals don’t even place you among the top 5 Ravens’ of all time despite the franchise’s short history.

This past Sunday, Willis McGahee moved into fourth place on the team's all-time rushing chart (1,558 yards) one notch above Bam Morris (1,511 yards). Jamal Lewis (7,801), Priest Holmes (2,102), Chester Taylor (1,599) and even Errict Rhett (1,032) have more rushing yards as members of the Baltimore Ravens. Of those six only Lewis is expected to be a ring inductee.

You know as well as I do that your inclusion in that ring was yet another example of Art Modell’s sentimentality and philanthropic tendencies. In an obvious moment of weakness he honored you for your commitment to his organization for time served in Cleveland and in Baltimore. You even admit that your inclusion in the ring ties the two cities together. But Ernie, let’s be honest here, those two cities don’t care about sharing connectivity. Actually they would probably prefer to untie any ties that bind them.

You didn’t ask me, but I think Mr. Modell should have given you a nice watch and said thank you. Instead, we are all reminded of his egregious error every time we look at the Ring of Honor.

Yesterday, Jonathan Ogden, arguably the greatest Raven of all time was honored and placed among your distinguished brethren. Yet with you as the standard, how is that an honor? It isn’t your fault that you are up there among them but really isn’t Ogden placed in your company of honor about the same as Joe Flacco being named MVP of a high school all-star game?

I don’t mean to diminish your accomplishments as a professional football player. You had a fine career with the Redskins and Browns. You were a Pro Bowler in ’90 and ’91 while you were with the Redskins, won a Super Bowl while wearing the burgundy and gold and you were even named one of the 70 greatest Redskins of all time. That you deserved! The Ravens Ring of Honor you do not deserve and I’m sure if you’ve given it any thought, you’d admit it too.

Future generations of Ravens fans will remember Jon Ogden. They might even remember Michael McCrary or Peter Boulware. But they will only remember you as an inductee who doesn’t belong, if at all.

So how can this be corrected? How can future inductees feel a greater sense of accomplishment? Surely if your 947 yards serve as the measuring stick, how soon will it be before they run out of placard space down there at M&T Bank Stadium?

Steve Bisciotti won’t take down your name. That would be a slap in the face of a man he respects and admires – namely Art Modell. Mr. Modell would never take it down. He wouldn’t want to embarrass you and he’s simply just too kind and considerate of a man.

So really Ernie, it’s up to you. You should volunteer to have your named removed from the ring. Instead of being looked upon as an undeserving and almost laughable member of that ring, you could be viewed as a very reasonable man with such an appreciation of the league’s history and tradition that through your voluntary removal from the ring you would be viewed by all as incredibly selfless.

You would be remembered for your dignity.

By definition honor is a token of esteem paid to worth; a mark of respect.

How ironic is it that you would be viewed as more honorable by removing your name from the Ring of Honor?

But you know what Ernie? That is exactly what would happen.

So from my vantage point it really boils down to this – keep your name in the ring and be the butt of jokes or remove it and earn the respect that you will never realize as an undeserving inductee.

The choice is yours and yours alone.

I hope you make the right one.

To the future,

Tony Lombardi

Earnest Byner was a quality player for many seasons . It pains me to say this because how much a fan I am of not only his play but how he conducted himself off the field. I'm sure like we know that EBs in the ring of honor because of not only his relationship but what he has meant to Art Modell he knows as well in his heart. Problem with EB in the ring of honor is it isn't Art Modells ring of honor. It's Baltimores and the Ravens ring of honor and by any professional measuring stick Earnest Byner doesn't belong I'm sorry to say.

Bottom line is that he's going to be up there as long as Art is alive. Earnest wouldn't do that to him, and Art certainly wouldn't do that to Earnest.

Letters and petitions won't change that.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Agree with camdenyard.

If it does happen, it will happen off season with no notification to the press AND after Art has passed away. They will simply pull it down in the middle of the night.

If it does happen, it will happen off season with no notification to the press AND after Art has passed away. They will simply pull it down in the middle of the night.
    I don't think Steve Bisciotti would enable the night bandit. The placard removal only happens if Byner does it himself in my opinion but keep in mind, the point here is to show Byner himself how the city of Baltimore feels and then appeal to his reasonability. I think the opinions stated thus far are fair. Byner was a very good player -- just not as a Raven.

Carry on by all means...

Not to be too picky, but does he go by "Ernie" these days?

If not, he may see that as mocking right off the bat.

Is there any precedent set for this type of situation in any other sports cities?

I would not think that Ernest requesting his name removal would affect Art at all. I believe that it would only show that he understands that Baltimore has it's own history and players that will always be thought of as Ravens no matter what other teams they played for. Ernest is not one of those players. Again he was not even a great player for his time he spent here.

No matter if it works or not, with out the true support of the fans the team and Ernest will never know how we feel.

That RING is OURS!!!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

If someone pays Art Modell to remove it, he will. Let's not forget who we are talking about here.

STANDING AND APPLAUDING THIS EFFORT!!....I've been sayin' this since his was the only name in the ring.....other than borish drunks, seeing Byners name in the ring sours the game day experience!!

"So from my vantage point it really boils down to this – keep your name in the ring and be the butt of jokes or remove it and earn the respect that you will never realize as an undeserving inductee.

Worded perfectly!!

"Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts!"

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
    if you show me how to be a more effective dictator!
    "--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos

I think everyone agrees with the premise: that Byner has no business being in the ROH based on his playing time with the Ravens. And you are probably right in your assertion that Byner's award was more of a "career thank you" by Art Modell. But when pleading for someone else to be the bigger person you don't want to come off as small and petty. It's not what you said but how you said it.

I could help you edit it if you like, but I would recommend the tone of your letter be gracious and deferential, not marginalizing and indignant.