Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

assistants on the defensive side of the ball

Who are Rex Ryan's assistants? If he leaves, are we likely to be promoting one of them from within? Given his success, I'd think so, but if not, who is out there?

If we go deep into the playoffs obviously Rex will be late to the head coach interviewing process, which may hurt his chances. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: assistants on the defensive side of the ball

Id hate to see Rex go. Dont know too much about the assistants backgrounds on the defensive side but here is a link to the coaching staff...
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/inclu...0&personType=0

3. Re: assistants on the defensive side of the ball

ESPN Classic was playing a Rose Bowl marathon yesterday. It was cool to see Dennis Thurman playing for USC.

Not a current assistant but a former one for if Rex goes (I don't think he will, there's hotter HC candidates in my opinion), I'd love to see us go and get Donnie Henderson back in here. Our DBs haven't reached the level they played at with him, he's knows our philosophy, he's a top coach and players love to play for him. Factor in that he's having to coach in the cover 2 in Detroit with far inferior talent and I think he'd be a good candidate if we had to go out and get a new DC, though I don't think we will.

Aaron speculates that Vic Mangio, Clarence Brooks, or Jeff Fitzgerald would be the next man up.

I would want us to attempt to get Donnie Henderson and offer a DC/assistant HC job.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    I would want us to attempt to get Donnie Henderson and offer a DC/assistant HC job.
    Just out of curiosity, why? (I know nothing whatsoever about Donnie Henderson.) Why would you not want to promote from within, with someone who is already familiar with our system, which seems to work very well, rather than bring in someone new?

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skaybaltimore View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why? (I know nothing whatsoever about Donnie Henderson.) Why would you not want to promote from within, with someone who is already familiar with our system, which seems to work very well, rather than bring in someone new?

GO RAVENS!!!

Donnie Henderson is a our former secondary coach and he is greatly respected amongst our defensive player much in the way Rex Ryan is currently respected. Henderson also kept CMAC in check while he was here. Had Henderson not left, he would probably be our current DC. He is currently the Lions DC, but he has a desire to be a HC one day. Our DC position seems to be a hotseat for those that want to be a HC. It is like the California Governor's job being a great precursor for the US Presidency.

It seems that Ryan may get shutout of HC jobs this season, because these teams are looking to make quick hires. Ryan may be here for one more season.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Thanks PR. That it explains it very clearly.

GO RAVENS!!!

I suspect DHen will go to San Fran; Nolan just dumped his DC. (I'm not sure Nolan and DHen worked together here?) He'll would be a great hire wherever he ends up. the Lyons habitually hire people for a year or two and dump them (while keeping the upper brain trust that's really the problem).
    I think it's too early for RexR to be a HC. I just hope he doesn't go to Arizona or Oakland, which are both football graveyards these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    I suspect DHen will go to San Fran; Nolan just dumped his DC. (I'm not sure Nolan and DHen worked together here?)
    Yes, Henderson and Nolan did work together here. And since Henderson is available and the 49ers have an opening, it seems like a good fit.

A Lions fan I know at work tells me Henderson did a poor job in Detroit because he apparently didn't have a clue how to run the cover 2 defense, which they insisted on running. But that wouldn't be an issue in San Fran (or here).

Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com this morning on WNST said Nolan and Henderson do not have a history of getting along, though he also said if they got over that otherwise the move makes sense.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Leave it to the Lyons to hire a coordinator and force him to use a system he doesn't like. these guys have a history of using up good people and dumping them (Bobby Ross, Gary Moeller) and blaming them for the team's failures. I know the Cardinals have only won 1 playoff game since 1950; have the Lions won any playoff games since 1960?
    I'd love to see DHen return here; I'm sure he'll be fine.