Defensive Line 12/24/06

This sure is a great year to be writing about the defensive line. To be honest there was nothing drastically new about Sunday's performance, just more domination. Most of the Ravens padded their numbers some with the Steelers generating just 3.9 yards per play (3.5 Rush and 4.0 Pass). By number of snaps (incl. penalties):
    Edwards: 10
    Franklin: 7
    Gregg: 28
    Johnson: 45
    Ngata: 26
    Pryce: 56
    Stills: 0
    Suggs: 70
    Team: 70

Observations:
    1. Johnson got a lot of snaps with the pass rush team (Johnson, Suggs, Pryce). Roethlisberger got away for 2 long runs while he was in, and he also happened to have the worst per play pass average of any heavy (4.3 YPP). For the year, he still leads the Ravens in YPP at 4.7. I think the Ravens have more pass rush flexibility with him lining up over center. As I mentioned last week, I think he sells the fake rush better than any other heavy we have. He takes a step, pushes off, uses the leverage to get back, etc. If he's lined up in the center and does that, he has a great opportunity to aid an overload to either side by taking his first step into the appropriate G/C hole or just by getting his hands up on a guard or the center. With the outside presure, delayed pressure, and stunts the Ravens bring, paralyzing a guard for just over a second helps a ton. There are probably other players out there who could learn to do what he does, but he's one of those valuable role players on this defense.

2. My GF got me a Ngata jersey for Christmas. We were watching the game Sunday, and she seemed awfully happy about that sack. It was by far his best game. 10 carries for 18 yards with him in there (1.8 led the regulars). He also led the regulars in YPP at 3.7. The 6 tackles are really something. He was only in there for 25 non-penalties. He had only 1 tackle (the sack) on a passing play (a mess of those plays were incomplete). The others all came on runs (5 tackles on 10 running plays). He's still getting stood up a lot, which is a formula for both fatigue and injury, but when he does get stood up, there are usually 2 guys on him, and the 3 of them are taking up a huge hunk of the space between the tackles. One more thing to watch...he gets pancaked a lot less than the replacements (Bannan, Franklin, Edwards). Some of it is mass, but some of that has to be technique. Despite the fact that he always seems to be trying to penetrate (as opposed to push), Kelly Gregg is also pancaked relatively less. Must be the wrestling. Both of those are purely eyeball judgments, nothing scientific. If I were looking for some sort of scientific experiment, I'd like to suggest that some Steeler troll should have to watch every Haloti "I'm-not-going-anywhere" Ngata play for the season along with every Casey "But-I-collapse-the-pocket-better-despite-my-0-personal-sacks-and-18-less-team-sacks" Hampton play. My hypothesis is that the Steeler fan would still not change his Pro Bowl vote, but would harbor deep feelings of resentment.

3. Terrell Suggs has made a very good comeback from a 6-game dead spot mid year. Much like the 2000 Ravens offense, he went 0 for October, and from games 4-9 he had only 15 total tackles and 0 sacks. I was calling for rest, but he's played virtually every single down since, recording 24 tackles and 5.5 sacks in the 6 games since. He's in the top 15 among NFL defensive linemen in virtually every important category (Tackles, Sacks, FF, FR, PD). Great year, and I have to agree with TSizzle that he has to be a huge extension priority at age 24.

4. Edwards and Franklin each made a contribution while in there (2.4 and 3.1 YPP respectively). I'm not sure Edwards would be so bad if they kept him at tackle, but Bannan and he both look out of postion at DE.

5. On third down, the Ravens allowed just 23 net passing yards on 13 3rd down pass attempts (1.8 ). Roethisberger's 20-yard scramble was the only 3rd down run.

6. 4 of the Ravens 5 sacks occurred with 5-man pressure, but only 1 of those included a zone-blitz scheme, when both Johson and Suggs dropped into coverage. The last sack came on a vanilla 4-man rush. For the year now, by number of rushers, the Ravens have sacked the QB:
    --3: 0 times, 9.1 YPP
    --4: 27 times (10.1%), 6.1 YPP
    --5: 21 times (11.8%), 4.1 YPP
    --6: 7 times (14.3%), 4.1 YPP
    --7: 2 times (15.4%), 4.4 YPP
    No wonder they say Rex wants to blitz every down. Despite the Colts lackluster performance the last 6 weeks, I think it is still likely that will be the team the Ravens face first in the playoffs. When that happens, I hope Rex cuts lose the dogs on Manning. He's smart and reactive, but the Vault (I hope) should be damaging his eardrums, and Harrison needs an interpreter when it's quiet. We still won't sack Manning a lot with pressure, but he'll make many more bad throws.

7. There are still internet promotional fares available on Southwest for 1/20 (sadly not for the return on 1/22). Sure, the Ravens might very well not play the AFC championship there (if anywhere), but since you can always use the credit (less $5) for another flight, it's a good idea to get that reserved now if you might go.

Wink Re: Defensive Line 12/24/06

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    There are still internet promotional fares available on Southwest for 1/20 (sadly not for the return on 1/22). Sure, the Ravens might very well not play the AFC championship there (if anywhere), but since you can always use the credit (less $5) for another flight, it's a good idea to get that reserved now if you might go.
    As a frequent manipulator of the SWA reservation process, allow me to clarify. There are two portions of the Southwest fare that may be banked: the non-refundable and the refundable. The non-refundable portion must be reapplied within a year of the date that one made the reservation (not the flight date). That can be done by click-click, and my be repeated if one changes their mind again. (That's what I did for Super Bowl reservations, changing my plans on Florida airports and dates twice). The refundable portion (some taxes, often $5) may be reapplied at any time. They may alternatively be refunded, but only via phone call.

I hadn't really previously considered going out to San Diego, but you've given me an idea. I'll watch out for BWI-San Diego Ding fares.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Defensive Line 12/24/06

I sure hope the Ravens can keep TSuggs AND ADThomas. of course I was heartbroken when Boulware and EHartwell left, and we survived.
    Casey can enjoy his Pro Bowl; the Pineapple will have to settle for his division title and home playoff game.