7 of one, half a dozen of the other

From AW's article on the main page:

QUICK HIT: One of the Ravens’ five sacks against the Browns has been taken away by the NFL after a film study by the Elias Sports Bureau determined that it was a rush by quarterback Derek Anderson for a loss. Anderson tripped in the backfield. The Ravens now have six sacks for the season.
    @#$!ing bean counters with nothing else to do. Made me laugh, anyway.

I'd like *that* job, watching football games to distinguish between quarterback rushes "for a loss" and sacks.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: 7 of one, half a dozen of the other

This thread should win an award for craftiest title. Kudos.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Well the good news is that Anderson got hit all the times not matter what the stats say....

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

So, as long as the QB is moving forward at the time he's tackled behind the LOS, it's no longer a sack?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

This decision doesn't really make much sense to me and I'd like to see the play itself for why they've changed it. This happens on the quiet all the time but usually later in the season, in my analysis work I sometimes get conflicting plays in the NFL gamebook and the analysis package that is downloaded at the time as the NFL changes a rush to a sack or whatever.

If all of the players were going out into routes and Anderson was tackled behind the LOS then I fail to see why it wasn't a sack, but if he tripped pulling out of centre then it does make some sense.

Whilst we're on the subject of sacks as a statistic, am I the only person who thinks that "half sacks" are one of the more ridiculous stats in the league? Why split the sack when both players have got there? Why is their play diminished statistically because someone got their at the same time as them? Just award the both of them a full sack, their effort on that play has earned it more often than not.

If I remember correctly he got his foot stepped on by a lineman and fell down, Jamal covered him up to protect him til one of the Ravens got there for the touch to end the play.

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    This thread should win an award for craftiest title. Kudos.
    I was thinking the same thing!!!
    Season Ticket Holder Since 1996 Sec 545

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I'd like *that* job, watching football games to distinguish between quarterback rushes "for a loss" and sacks.

I had the same exact thought...I think I just found my calling!! I mean you probably get to sit down, and then watch Football. Just bring nachos and cheese for lunch and your getting pretty close to hanging out on the couch watching your favorite sport. I mean talk about liking your job!
    Season Ticket Holder Since 1996 Sec 545