Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Our Week 3 Ref is....

Eddie Guns according to this link.

http://www.nfl85.com/

Re: Our Week 3 Ref is....

Good. I think he's an excellent ref - everyone makes mistakes. I just hope that this particular mistake doesn't make him doubt himself

JERRY JONES SAY HOCHULI IS “HIGHLY CRITICIZED”
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2008, 9:36 p.m. EDT

Although the general action in media and fan circles seems to be that referee Ed Hochuli deserves a break despite his badly blown call in Sunday’s game between the Chargers and the Broncos, our own MDS has pointed out that one of the league’s most influential owners is singing a different tune.

“That particular official gets a lot of criticism,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.

Ouch.

“He’s a highly criticized official in the NFL.”

Double ouch.

If Hochuli has that reputation in league circles, that reputation has never made its way outside of league circles. Until now.

But don’t look for Jones to be fined for his comments. As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday, fines are imposed only when criticizes the integrity of officiating. In this case, Jones is simply saying that Hochuli gets criticized a lot.

In other words, Jones isn’t questioning Hochuli’s integrity — he’s criticizing his ability.

Still, we have a feeling that there will be more to this story.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ly-criticized/

Also from PFT we have this...
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ll-do-the-job/

Thank God for that. I thought you were going to say Mike Carey.

The real problem here is not that he got the call wrong (which everybody knew he did immediately including himself), but the fact that he is not allowed to reverse the decision and get the call right.

Something about that just seems stupid to me since the entire idea of instant replay is to get the call right.
    What good is it if a glitch in the rules eliminates the ability to make the right call.

I'm just damn glad it didn't happen here as I could see our crowd doing something ugly displaying malice in our hearts.:D

Tough break for SanDiego as they were definitely screwed hard.

With that being said, the dude is one of the better officials in the league and hopefully this one incident doesn't screw him up in the head causing him to officiate in a less then confident manner.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Glad to see such great Ref at such an important divisional game for us.

Evereyone has their moments and Ed had his in Sna Diego. Now it's out of his system and we will have a fair game this Sunday.

Great ref, I just hope it is fully out of his system. From what the VP of Officiating (name slips my mind at the mo) was saying on NFL Total Access on Wednesday this is really nagging at him. Just hope that he puts it completely out of his mind when puts the zebra stripes on on Sunday afternoon, absolutely no reason to think he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Thank God for that. I thought you were going to say Mike Carey.
    Malice in the Heart Mike Carey is far worse than Eddie Guns. That was a very bad call the other day, but no worse than the same call Mike Carey blew in Detroit that set off the meltdown.

Why does everybody still hold a grudge against Mike Carey? From what I remember of that game, the Ravens played with the lack of discipline that came to define the Billick era. Suggs did bump the ref and that's going to get you ejected 10 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Malice in the Heart Mike Carey is far worse than Eddie Guns. That was a very bad call the other day, but no worse than the same call Mike Carey blew in Detroit that set off the meltdown.
    Bingo --- I'm glad some else remembers. Everyone on the field, in the stadium, and watching on tv saw an incomplete pass. Everyone but one guy. AND THEN HE DIDN'T REVERSE IT VIA REPLAY!

Tell me, if Joey Harrington's hand was empty when it came forward, how did the ball manage to go forward??? Maybe the NFL needs to employ a physicist or two.

I think we need to give Hochuli a break on this one. Yes it was a terrible call, Yes it cost a game.

It happens, I have been reading stories about all the hate mail he has been receiving and how he is actually responding to each and every letter he receives... He also went on to say as upset as everyone is, that it is nothing compared to how bad he feels for deciding the game.

People make mistakes, he is truly sorry.

That being said, if it were the Ravens I would want his head on a platter, so I can understand both sides.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    Bingo --- I'm glad some else remembers. Everyone on the field, in the stadium, and watching on tv saw an incomplete pass. Everyone but one guy. AND THEN HE DIDN'T REVERSE IT VIA REPLAY!

Tell me, if Joey Harrington's hand was empty when it came forward, how did the ball manage to go forward??? Maybe the NFL needs to employ a physicist or two.
    Maybe they should just make it a fumble anytime the ball falls short of the LOS and take the guess work out. If the QB can't squeeze it enough not to drop it like a fumble, why should he get the ball back?