Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

How Much of a Step Forward Do We Expect From Justin Madubuike?

Others may have their opinion, but to me, last year, it didn't feel like Madubuike was a nightmare on a Donald, Sapp type of level (Few are, obviously), but that he was still the key piece in the pass rush and enough of a difference maker that he still racked up numbers and others benefitted more from his presence. Madubuike is still a young talent and I think we all believe, hasn't reached his peak yet.

So the question is, when you look at how he's taken a step forward each year, how much of a step forward do we expect from his this year?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: How Much of a Step Forward Do We Expect From Justin Madubuike?

I've been one of the people not super excited about the signing. Good player no question, but to me it felt like his sacks came from coverage a lot more than him just dominating his opposition. Now he could improve to a point where he is simply winning the majority of his 1v1 snaps, and I hope he does. Just felt like a lot of more of his sacks came from QBs holding the ball to long than not

EDIT: I do expect him to continue to get better. I just don't see a truly dominating season coming

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I've been one of the people not super excited about the signing. Good player no question, but to me it felt like his sacks came from coverage a lot more than him just dominating his opposition. Now he could improve to a point where he is simply winning the majority of his 1v1 snaps, and I hope he does. Just felt like a lot of more of his sacks came from QBs holding the ball to long than not

EDIT: I do expect him to continue to get better. I just don't see a truly dominating season coming
    I saw it differently. In fact, I saw a lot of OTHER people's sacks (e.g. Clowney) coming from Mads dominating the guy in front of him and forcing the QB off the spot. He had 77 pressures, behind only Jones and Donald.

The only reason I see a step back this year is that teams are going to adjust to him. He is going to draw a lot more double teams, which should open things up more for other guys.
    "Chin up, chest out."

If he stays level that would be a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post

That's kind of been our defensive identity for a while now, hasn't it?

Hard to say with Madubuike. It would feel good to see some instagram posts of him working out and looking totally shredded lol. My hunch is that last year was about the peak of what we will see from him. Not that thatís a bad thing necessarily, but I donít really see him becoming dominant like an Aaron Donald. Iím not really basing that off much of anything, other than the Aaron Donaldís of the world being incredibly rare. He may draw more double teams in passing situations this year, which he didnít see much of last year. I think the absence of Clowney will hurt his stats, unless we really see Oweh step up as an edge who is deserving of special attention. Iíd love to see Madubuike continue his year by year improvement, and really become a player you canít block 1v1. Iím just not expecting it per se. No more contract year dreams for added motivation away from the field. Hope Iím wrong.

Blog Entries

I think there's a number of factors to expect less production from him this year, that are not his fault really. The biggest being MacDonald is gone and we have no idea how Orr is going to do as the DC, play to play or putting his players in best position to succeed which Mac was fantastic at. His schemes were exceptional and no doubt aided in Madubuike's breakout. Clowney was fantastic as well, definitely helped to some degree, and he's gone. Madubuike isn't going to sneak up and surprise anyone this year, both from a opposing player perspective and a gameplanning perspective. He'll see more attention. All of this probably adds up to a lesser season statistically than last year but not necessarily a worse season, if that makes sense.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Even with the possibility of scheme change or increased attention from the OL, I still expect Madubuike to be one of the top 3 interior D linemen in all of football.

Heís immensely strong, and lightning quick off the snap. I donít see either of these diminishing anytime soon. Absolute wrecking ball on the interior, and even if he doesnít get the same sack numbers he routinely disrupts pretty much everything opposing offenses do.

Expect pain. Lots of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I saw it differently. In fact, I saw a lot of OTHER people's sacks (e.g. Clowney) coming from Mads dominating the guy in front of him and forcing the QB off the spot. He had 77 pressures, behind only Jones and Donald.

The only reason I see a step back this year is that teams are going to adjust to him. He is going to draw a lot more double teams, which should open things up more for other guys.
    Agreed, I think his interior pressure made KVN and Clowney look way better. Mads was dominant.

It’s nearly impossible to “explain away” 13 sacks at the DT position. It just doesn’t happen. Madibuke. No DT is going to have an Aaron donald or Warren Sapp type of impact unless they are going to be top 3 ever at the position. So that can’t be the standard. Both of which were top 15 picks.

Madibuke is more in a Chris jones level and would like to see him continue on that trajectory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If he stays level that would be a win.
    jon, you stole my thunder (LOL), and I couldn't agree more. The "Step Forward" came in 2023. As far as I'm concerned he can march in place and duplicate it. I'd be fine with that... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    jon, you stole my thunder (LOL), and I couldn't agree more. The "Step Forward" came in 2023. As far as I'm concerned he can march in place and duplicate it. I'd be fine with that... Bc
    Bingo!

Heís one of the best in the league. Iím not expecting him to be one of the best ever. If he can stay near the top of the league at his position Iíd be ecstatic.