Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Grading out the Depth Chart (Offense)

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    So what NFL TE group would you give an A to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think there are a few teams that have good groups

KC with Kelce and Noah Gray
    Falcons with Kyle Pitts and Jonnu Smith
    Bills, Pats

but yeah the Ravens TE group ranks right up there at the top, given whether you would rank one of these higher

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

It seems to me you've got to factor in the schedule which is a killer. Depth two to 3 deep is going to be essential to get through this season and still have enough in the tank for the playoffs.Looking in those terms,every group drops down a grade. We'll know by week 8 if this team is going anywhere.

There's no way you don't give the TE group and A.

Quote Originally Posted by signore View Post
    It seems to me you've got to factor in the schedule which is a killer. Depth two to 3 deep is going to be essential to get through this season and still have enough in the tank for the playoffs.Looking in those terms,every group drops down a grade. We'll know by week 8 if this team is going anywhere.
    You grade differently than I do.

I thought the question was just “how good are these guys compared to the rest of the NFL?”

Ray Lewis was Ray Lewis whether he was playing the Cardinals or the Patriots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

KC for Kelce alone
    Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Luke 12:24

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    There's no way you don't give the TE group and A.
    Agreed. Even if you wanna say, hypothetically, that an A+ group would be considered an all-time group. Andrews and Likely alone might be the best pure receiving duo we've seen in a decade.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I say we call the RB room The Goodfellas

My opinion, no grades

QB - Same as last year, and last year had an MVP. The single biggest question with this team remains, can the offense generate points in the playoffs? They started flat against Houston but fixed that. Then there was KC, which I have to say fell more on Lamar Jackson and Todd Monken than anyone else (though there was plenty of blame to go around). We know if they stay healthy this will be a playoff team again. We know Lamar will achieve amazing feats of quarterbacking. We shouldn't take that for granted, but it's becoming hard not to. I want to get to January already. Oh... then there's backup QB. Yeah Lamar needs to stay upright.

RB - Maybe a controversial opinion here, but I don't think it's much better than last season, because last season was excellent with Edwards, Mitchell and Hill. It's really hard to beat 1st in the league in rushing yards (1860), 3rd in yards per attempt (4.9) and 4th in rushing TD (26). Yeah a lot of that was Lamar Jackson. Maybe with a big name in future-hall-of-famer Derrick Henry we will see an improvement with this unit, by seeing Jackson's rushing stats go down. But they didn't get King Henry for the regular season. They got him for the playoffs. If Todd Monken does to Henry what he did to Gus Edwards he should be fired on the spot. Anyway, Hill is back and Mitchell will be back. It's a top unit.

WR - Not much difference here. Exit OBJ, enter Devontez Walker. Other than that, same room. And It's still middle-of-the-pack to me. The biggest disappointment I had with last season (and there weren't many) was Rashod Bateman's lack of chemistry with Lamar Jackson. I thought they worked on it during the off season? Well, that's the big key with this group. Flowers looks like a hit, though I actually don't think he'll be a Pro Bowler (a function of the offense). He had a rough January and needs to mature from that, just like any kid at some point in their lives. Flowers is a different flavor from Bateman though; Bateman can run deeper routes and burn people on the outside... if he can just get the ball thrown his way and then catch it. Until the light bulb turns on for Walker the rest is just depth; Nelson Agholor is a good team member and that's valuable for a WR that doesn't get a big target share; Tylan Wallace has shown close to nothing as a WR though he may become even more valuable as a return man; then you have Deonte Harty also a return man so the new kickoffs will really be interesting to follow.

TE - Best group in the NFL, I have no qualms about saying that. Nobody else has a duo like Mark Andrews and Isaiah Likely, and Charlie Kolar could start for half the teams. As far as I'm concerned Patrick Ricard goes here now instead of the RB group. There's not much else to say about the players; my question is how Todd Monken can integrate 2-3 TE sets better so it's not just Andrews -> WR or Likley -> WR when Andrews was out. This groups is a lot stronger than the WR group, relative to league average, and receiving TEs are game changers in today's NFL. Just look at recent Super Bowl teams. Almost all of them had a top TE, whether Travis Kelce, George Kittle, Dallas Goedert, Rob Gronkowski/Cameron Brate, more Gronk, Tyler Higbee, Zach Ertz, and so on. Here's what I want to see: both Mark Andrews and Isaiah Likely with 800+ yards, playing together. I think that's quite plausible.

OT - It doesn't look like a pending disaster now that Roger Rosengarten is in the fold. That said, Ronnie Stanley once again needs to stay healthy or we'll be seeing a lot of Patrick Mekari here again. Not that it's a big problem, but Mekari has his obvious limitations. One of my favorite signings this off season is Josh Jones for his price tag. He will potentially provide crucial average snaps at LT or RT when needed, that is if he doesn't end up starting at guard. Daniel Faalele is one of my "surprise" cuts this season but I'll probably be wrong - if I'm right, you might see Julian Pearl or Darrell Simpson sneak onto the team.

IOL - biggest question mark on offense going into the season is who plays LG and RG. C is obviously Tyler Linderbaum. Right now I would handicap Andrew Vorhees at LG and Ben Cleveland at RG, and at least Cole Jackson and Ourlads.com agree with me. If Vorhees is back 100% I believe he mans LG for a long time - like second contract material. Cleveland - we'll its the money year for him. There's some decent depth with Josh Jones, Nick Samac and whoever wins the camp battle between Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu, Tykeem Doss, Tashawn Manning and Darrian Dalcourt. I kind of like Dalcourt here because he moves better than the other lumberers, who, granted are all powerful, but don't seem like outside zone blockers.

As crazy as it sounds, as the season wears on I can see WR becoming the biggest issue on offense. All that draft capital, all the drama over EDC's tenure, and it might still come down to that. But, as far as the regular season goes, I'm not concerned about it. The offense looks top ten, the defense looks top ten, the locker room continues to click and it's pretty much just about health.

Good work, Culex. I generally agree, with quibbles:
    Lamar is not an A+, not until he wins a big post-season game. B+
    Henry an A+? I hope so, but let’s see how he does against those big AFC North DLs. B+
    I think Zay and friends will be a solid B or better. Monken owes us and we deserve it.
    OL — This could be the worst O line we’d had in years. Rookies, retreads and potential busts. I’m hoping to be very wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If no one signs, Dalvin Cook, I would think they might have an interest after the first game. They’re not gonna sign him early and guarantee his salary.
    Perfect Practice Squad candidate

I think we end up bringing in a vet guard (camp cut) to round out our O-line, and may end up starting at one of the guard spots. I'm just not sure we will go with 3/5 of the offensive line having such little experience. It's one thing to trust Rosengarten at RT, or even Cleveland at RG, but both of them AND a complete unknown at LG? Either a vet who isn't on the team yet or maybe Mekari starts at one of the guard spots. If Makari starts at LG early, maybe Vorhees can be eased in over time.

Blog Entries

Nit-picking but I disagree because of the opening premise

Grading out the Depth Chart (Offense)
    So, what lineups are we looking at to start 2024?

QB: A+.. not much needs to be said here.
    If you are grading starters, absolutely correct!
    If you are grading the actual depth chart
    Josh Johnson
    Devin Leary
    Emory Jones
    and maybe emergency Malik

I'd say our depth chart is a D only because Johnson has years of experience. or Including starter as part of the depth

In the same vein with TE, if you exclude Mandrews as the starter, we probable have the best depth in the NFL with Likely, Kolar, Ricard (no idea how Scotty, Rigerman or Sharp with play out or PS). A+ TE depth without Andrews

D depth without Jackson.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old