Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QB futures

Re: QB futures

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    1) I believe the Steelers are the most improved team in the AFC North, and they will end up with another Wild Card. As to who starts that playoff game, I can see it going back and forth with both QBs starting games through the season. So Idunno.

2) I've stated before that I would put my non-existent betting money on Williams being a Trevor Lawrence level QB even though his game is more like Patrick Mahomes. I guess that does mean he'll be "the guy" in Chicago. Daniels plays more like Lamar Jackson. I think this will end up a good QB class like 2018 with some big hits and big misses (Drake Maye). My high hopes for Michael Penix were erased by the situation he's going to.

3) Cousins will be the starting QB until he gets hurt. There will be way more drama than there needs to be and the Falcons will fall short of their goal again. Next off season will not be pleasant in Atlanta. The Falcons' best bet is to find a Cousins off ramp early enough to allow Penix to be the established starter before he's freaking 30 years old.

4) No, and it probably won't be his fault but it won't matter. McCarthy is fired, Cowboys rinse and repeat, sign Dak to a big deal and hire Bill Belichik.

5) Stroud will be an MVP candidate. Young will be labeled a bust by season's end. Perfect encapsulation of "it matters where you get drafted". Richardson will be a highlight reel but make some key mistakes, understandable. Levis will show modest improvement, bolstered by a more pass-happy offense.

6) Ravens like Josh Johnson. I think he should be third string but looks like he's the primary backup. Leary, I just don't know about him; does he develop a hangnail? Malik Cunningham's days are numbered. I think you will see one more QB name hang around the practice squad eventually.

7) Most interesting QB story line, aside from Lamar Jackson of course, is Justin Herbert to me. The new system is going to suppress his numbers. He is not going to have MVP stats. Yet more than one person has suggested him for MVP. Why? Do they think Greg Roman is going to storm the AFC again? That Herbert gets the award just for beating the Chefs and winning the division, despite having less responsibility? What are his rushing numbers going to look like? He's athletic but he's not Josh Allen (who would be amazing in a Roman offense). Does he get injured again?
    1) Agreed. The Steelers scare more than the Bengals or Browns. Solid D, improved offense(under Smith), a top notch coach, and much needed talent thanks to Khan.

2) I've never been sold on Williams but that's just my opinion. The Bears have talent but can Williams cook? We'll see but I won't be surprised if doesn't live up to his #1 pick.

3)I agree but what are they(FO/owner) thinking. Either they sit and waste Penix or they push Cousins out and waste capital. Either way they could have vastly improved the team by addressing needs especially if they traded and got additional talent.

4) Jone's ego gets in the way all the time. If/when Dak leaves then the team gets set back. I think Jones using this "prove it" ultimatum doesn't address the issue.

5) I think Stroud is in a good place but will the league be better prepared for him this season. I never had confidence in Young. I just wonder if Richardson can stay healthy especially if he continues to run to much. An injury around the corner. I think Levis will be an average QB but the Titans may move on in a few years.

6) This scares me. If Leary doesn't pan out then who are our backups. Johnson is OK but limited. Personally I don't have confidence in Leary or Cunningham for that matter. What are the available options out there.

7) Really? Herbert is considered a top 10 QB with an arm. Do Harbaugh/Roman go to a more balanced offense and take pressure off Herbert. How will Herbert react and play. I agree with you that Harbaugh will try to run more and keep Herbert healthy. I think they will sneak up many teams with their physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm interested to see how things go in Chicago for sure. Also DC
    It's always interesting to see how teams perform when they go and draft their "franchise" QB. Young was unlucky to end up in a bad spot last season and Stroud balled out.

We saw 1/4 perform great last season. Williams has the best opportunity for success but does he ball out. There's no excuses if he flops.

I like Daniels but does he ball out in DC and become the best QB in this class. I wouldn't be surprised but it may take a few seasons.

Yeah in the end we all have our opinions. I just like Daniels to outshine Williams in his career. I am biased.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjim5 View Post
    I really don't see how picking a QB in first round with a QB penciled in and paid sets the Falcons back? If anything, it preps them to be future proof.
    Here's my take. First Why sign Cousins if you are going to draft Penix @ 8? You can't play 2 QBs at once. It makes no sense.

The Falcons play in a weak, winnable division. Why not use your draft capital to strengthen your chances to win the division.

If you do play Penix then you just wasted a ton of money on a backup(Cousins) and didn't address a major need.

IF you don't play Penix then you wasted draft capital. What happens if Cousins starts for 3 years with the Falcons.

Wouldn't you rather have a player or two playing for 3 years instead of sitting on the bench for 3 years as a backup?

It seems so many teams/organizations make poor decisions which eventually sets the team back in the future.

This appears to be a major blunder IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Here's my take. First Why sign Cousins if you are going to draft Penix @ 8? You can't play 2 QBs at once. It makes no sense.

The Falcons play in a weak, winnable division. Why not use your draft capital to strengthen your chances to win the division.

If you do play Penix then you just wasted a ton of money on a backup(Cousins) and didn't address a major need.

IF you don't play Penix then you wasted draft capital. What happens if Cousins starts for 3 years with the Falcons.

Wouldn't you rather have a player or two playing for 3 years instead of sitting on the bench for 3 years as a backup?

It seems so many teams/organizations make poor decisions which eventually sets the team back in the future.

Agreed. They knew they had the 8th pick and he would likely be available, so why not plan around him? Now you wasted another top 10 pick on a guy that will either ride the bench or have your millions$ dollar guy riding it. colossal blunder

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Pittsburgh is going to be fun to watch as well. Cam Heyward holding out for a new deal and two QBs. I would find a way to play them both. Use Fields in short yardage situations and run zone/read. It's an automatic first if done right and he can explode through the gap if the D crowds the line. And they have Cordelle Patterson

New OC in Art Smith who we've seen in Tenn.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/550...&userId=571335

To describe his new quarterback situation, coach Mike Tomlin introduced a brand new catchphrase when he said at the NFL’s annual league meetings Russell Wilson will begin in “pole position” over Justin Fields.

Tomlin explained that he feels it’s important to have one quarterback in the driver’s seat to rally teammates and organize informal offseason training sessions.

“Over a 12-month calendar, it’s not only good for him, it’s good for teams,” Tomlin said. “It’s good for receivers, tight ends, running backs, etc. All the things that people that are really committed to winning do this time of year.”

At the same time, Tomlin also said the Steelers are not “resistant to competition.”

“Rest assured when it’s time to compete, Justin will be given an opportunity to compete, and we’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out,” Tomlin said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Pittsburgh is going to be fun to watch as well. Cam Heyward holding out for a new deal and two QBs. I would find a way to play them both. Use Fields in short yardage situations and run zone/read. It's an automatic first if done right and he can explode through the gap if the D crowds the line. And they have Cordelle Patterson

New OC in Art Smith who we've seen in Tenn.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/550...&userId=571335

To describe his new quarterback situation, coach Mike Tomlin introduced a brand new catchphrase when he said at the NFL’s annual league meetings Russell Wilson will begin in “pole position” over Justin Fields.

Tomlin explained that he feels it’s important to have one quarterback in the driver’s seat to rally teammates and organize informal offseason training sessions.

“Over a 12-month calendar, it’s not only good for him, it’s good for teams,” Tomlin said. “It’s good for receivers, tight ends, running backs, etc. All the things that people that are really committed to winning do this time of year.”

At the same time, Tomlin also said the Steelers are not “resistant to competition.”

“Rest assured when it’s time to compete, Justin will be given an opportunity to compete, and we’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out,” Tomlin said.
    Could also trade one if starters go down like they did last year

TBH my take is that the Falcons FO blew it by drafting Penix. They just signed Cousins. There so close to being scary good and then they draft Penix.

If Cousins does ball out then they screwed up ROYAL. Then if by some coincidence Cousins gets injured and Penix balls out then they made the right decision.

I don't see it ending pretty. It was another organization making an enormous mistake and setting the team back by making a major error in judgement.

Playing the long game. Besides, Russell Wilson experiment proves a team can do what they want. Not until this instant gratification society dominated, their was a time when teams would develop their successor at QB. .. Montana to Young, Farve to Rodgers.. It is no big deal to anyone if the but Penix who may have to sit for 2 years if the Falcons win.

I really don't see how picking a QB in first round with a QB penciled in and paid sets the Falcons back? If anything, it preps them to be future proof.
    Because Penix isn't some generational, can't miss, QB. They just paid Cousins $190M, with $100M guaranteed. He's locked in until no sooner than 2026 (unless they do a post June 1st move in 2025, but then they eat $40M for a guy not on the roster).

The smart move was right there in front of them. Marvin Harrison Jr, along with Cousins and their skill guys sets them up better for the future than possibly playing musixal chairs with the QB position.

When Cousins starts, he'll have a ton of pressure on him. When he has a bad game, the calls for Penix will start. If Penix starts nezt year, Cousins will probably still be on the team and then all that pressure will switch to Penix. It's a bad situation

Playing the long game. Besides, Russell Wilson experiment proves a team can do what they want. Not until this instant gratification society dominated, their was a time when teams would develop their successor at QB. .. Montana to Young, Farve to Rodgers.. It is no big deal to anyone if the but Penix who may have to sit for 2 years if the Falcons win.
    It's called the NFL for a reason. NOT FOR LONG. IF Penix ends up sitting for more than 2 years behind Cousins and the Falcons fail to at least win 1 division title then I think many would consider this a total failure on the part of the FO/GM. Time to start looking for a new GM.

It's always interesting to see how teams perform when they go and draft their "franchise" QB. Young was unlucky to end up in a bad spot last season and Stroud balled out....
    Young was also horrible. As in completely clueless horrible. Definitely not a great situation, and you can put some blame on coaching. But living in Carolina I saw a good bit of Bryce Young, and he really does not look even remotely like an NFL QB. When Manning was a rookie and losing all those games and throwing all those picks, you could still see the great plays. I'm pretty sure you could watch a Bryce Young 2023 highlight reel in less time than you spent reading this post.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Young was also horrible. As in completely clueless horrible. Definitely not a great situation, and you can put some blame on coaching. But living in Carolina I saw a good bit of Bryce Young, and he really does not look even remotely like an NFL QB. When Manning was a rookie and losing all those games and throwing all those picks, you could still see the great plays. I'm pretty sure you could watch a Bryce Young 2023 highlight reel in less time than you spent reading this post.
    Agreed. That's what makes drafting a QB so hard to predict, especially at the top of the draft.

I guess seeing Young firsthand you have a better ideal of his shortcomings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    He should take a big step forward this year. Their first two picks were WR and RB so maybe getting him some help

Year two is huge