Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brady Announcing Ravens

Not set in stone but looks like Brady will be doing color for Ravens v Cowboys week 3? I'm looking forward to hearing him and hoping he brings all that football savvy and work ethic to the announcing booth. Any thoughts on how he'll do?

Re: Brady Announcing Ravens

My thoughts are, I don't really care that much. Tony Romo started out on fire in the booth and then the bosses told him to suck because he was being too smart.

Frankly I'm starting to watch NFL games on mute so I can chat.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    ... and then the bosses told him to suck because he was being too smart.
    That happened??
    I hadn't heard. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That happened??
    I hadn't heard. Gross.
    Sure as hell seems like it, I had wondered why he was so good and then just started acting like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXbio View Post
    Sure as hell seems like it, I had wondered why he was so good and then just started acting like everyone else
    I don't remember the exact source but Cris Collinsworth laid it out in an article. This is a guy that helped found PFF. But when it comes to broadcasting he cannot be too smart. Analysts have to sound somewhat smart but at the same time, they have to prioritize catering to the casuals that know very little about football. It's kind of like hosting a kids show now that I think about it.

And the slobbering over the Steelers was just part of the act. He's a Bengal for goodness sake. Born in Dayton.

We'll see if Tom Brady has enough clout to do things his way I guess.

Blog Entries

Greg Olsen is killer.

I don't remember the exact source but Cris Collinsworth laid it out in an article. This is a guy that helped found PFF. But when it comes to broadcasting he cannot be too smart. Analysts have to sound somewhat smart but at the same time, they have to prioritize catering to the casuals that know very little about football. It's kind of like hosting a kids show now that I think about it.

And the slobbering over the Steelers was just part of the act. He's a Bengal for goodness sake. Born in Dayton.

Thatís really a damn shame

I can totally see networks telling Romo to be more narrative focused and more of a story teller rather than focusing on the details and nitty gritty analysis of the game. Almost like pro wrestling.

I too hope Brady gets to decide how he wants to call the game. I think heíll have what it takes to balance commentary and analysis.

Blog Entries

I do agree that early Romo was fantastic. He would call the plays right before they happened. Maybe thatís why they wanted him to tone it down.

I think Brady will be interesting.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

By the way, I know Iím the only guy that watches UFL games but Brady was on the sideline of the Memphis game today

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I am just worried about what to do with Greg Olsen; he was there #1. I think Brady belongs in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I do agree that early Romo was fantastic. He would call the plays right before they happened. Maybe that’s why they wanted him to tone it down.

I think Brady will be interesting.
    That's what I read the problem to be.

Casual fans didn't like that he was ruining the suspense of the play.
    It was deemed better to talk about what happened and what could have happened then to have Tony Romo become Miss Cleo.

When Romo ups the game by predicting the play, the next question is "Quick, what does the team {offense or defense} do to counter it? The answer to that is high-level stuff. It either can't be done by one man before the snap, or it involves too much thinking that detracts from the visceral enjoyment of viewing. Not my enjoyment. But some people's enjoyment.

Really, Romo is better suited as a feature on some subscription service that offers film breakdown for people who want to understand Xs and Os. Frankly, I thought his personality would be better. He is, after all, the guy who was dating Jessica Simpson, had some hard luck on the field, but seemed to carry himself with a bit of humor and cheer. I'm disappointed in his humor and insight into what players are thinking or feeling. I wonder, however, if he was told to tone that down too, lest he reveal something too personal or professionally damaging about a peer.

I enjoyed Romo 1.0. Not Romo 2.0.