Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Book Review - Breaking Bad Universe Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentinaRaven View Post
    From BB I only liked Kristen Rytter and the role of Hank.

It is a series that I did not like from the beginning, from the car, the color, and certainly the location where it is filmed.
    Skyler and the son seem like a bad character to me.
    Walter and Jesse, being the protagonists, did not generate sympathy in me and Fring and the rest of the poster did not seem like anything special to me, typical Mexican mafia poster of any movie/series.
    I hated the fly chapter, because it was boring and ugly. after that chapter. I took a 1 year break to resume the series.
    I finished watching it, but it was an effort to watch each episode.
    basically that, I didn't like it from the beginning, it took me a lot of effort to finish it and I didn't like it.
    Of course, I didn't make the effort to watch BCS either (he didn't seem like a great character to me either) or Jesse's movie
    And I didn't like Sex in the City. The reasons are beyond the word count, to the point that I could actually crash the board if I embellished the point.

I didn't like Six Feet Under. Tried several times. -shrug-

Congrats on the book Captain; I'm trying to write something and I'm struggling so I salute you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Congrats on the book Captain; I'm trying to write something and I'm struggling so I salute you.
    Here is some advice: take your time. It took me 10 years to write the book, the last year of which categorizing and placing each question in its proper place. Obviously, everything in the book relates to Breaking Bad, which relates to Walter White and other characters, but some are specific to the plot, and others are specific to their character, such as Gus Fring. A lot of time was spent creating the illustrations for each question.

I have written a few books before, to no real acclaim or popularity. This, as the book reviewer said, was a labor of love I have for the show. Not everyone will feel the same, like Argentina Raven, but I spoke with the woman who owns the house that is depicted as Walter White's residence. It gives real gravitas to the endeavor.

I find that in dedication, people always pick another person. I think this is a mistake. Not only that, but when writing, do not think of the readers or critics as much as you are writing for yourself. This takes immense pressure off because you do as much or as little as you like.

I have read all kinds of advice from Stephen King, who suggests writing the whole thing as a stream of thought and then going back to edit it, or others who adhere to writing a page a day. George Martin's approach must be that because the next ice age will be upon us by the time he finishes his book.

So in my writing, when it came to dedicating the book, I quoted Walter White, "I did it for me."

Here is an excerpt and illustration from the book, a little teaser for the readers of this thread:

*** BREAKING BAD UNIVERSE Q&A ***

What makes Walter White’s ways of manipulation so effective?

Because he is underestimated and uses that as a tool to further his interests, he uses fear, wealth, and intimidation to get what he wants as he grows in power. From a purely fictional standpoint, it is genius to see seed germination into a full-blown monster of a tree in such a short period that it still maintains believability due to the onset of cancer.

Last edited by Captain Silver; 05-18-2024 at 07:57 PM.

Cool Re: OT: Book Review - Breaking Bad Universe Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Writing is hard work WNC. It really takes time and effort. For fun I wrote a Film, TV, and streaming service blog for five years (one long post a month) until I ended it at the end of 2023. The reason I finally ended it... it no longer was fun and was taking too much work.

I loved Breaking Bad and my tip of the hat to you Captain for doing it. I can just imagine the amount of time you must have put into it.

Argentina if you finished the series theres no way you did not like it. Not buying it!

I think most fans also hated Skyler, which I believe was the intention to be hated. She was definitely a heel for much of the show and set up for some really brilliant scenes.

Walt was a protagonist in the beginning but of course there was the gradual shift towards being a villain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Writing is hard work WNC. It really takes time and effort. For fun I wrote a Film, TV, and streaming service blog for five years (one long post a month) until I ended it at the end of 2023. The reason I finally ended it... it no longer was fun and was taking too much work.

I loved Breaking Bad and my tip of the hat to you Captain for doing it. I can just imagine the amount of time you must have put into it.
    I once did a YouTube channel; it was exhausting to do a 20-minute show. I mean writing it, performing it, and editing it. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it is a metric ton of work. I even wrote here for a spot, and it was a lot of work.

Anything worth doing takes time. On that note, I am working on a new book now about another popular show. However, because I have a co-author and require specific expertise to explain a lot, I am keeping the project under wraps. That being said, I feel good about the early stages. It won't take 10 years either! I am thinking 10 months.