Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

National Media opinions on Brandon Stephens

My boy Huddle it Upís Stephens All 22 highlights. You can see how advanced he has become. Heís constantly in phase looking for the ball.

https://youtu.be/uEsKsp0KohE?si=ANi8nSewM2VATjRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PGCountyRaven85; 05-08-2024 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: National Media opinions on Brandon Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    I really hope Marlo bounces back from his injury. When healthy, he was one of my favorite Ravens CBs to watch, and his “fruit punch” was a thing of beauty.

Leads me to an interesting thought, how would you rank the top 10 CBs in Ravens history?

Chris McAlister (prototype CB1)
    Marlon Humphrey
    Jimmy Smith
    Ladarius Webb
    Brandon Stephens
    Gary Baxter (when he was healthy early on)
    Duane Starks
    Samari Rolle (I put him on instead of Deion Sanders because he was with us for 4 seasons and more productive)
    Cary Williams (played really well in the Super Bowl run of 2012, picking off Andrew Luck and Tom Brady)
    Tavon Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’d switch Jimmy and Marlo

National media is just lazy.

Even some of the guys that go a little deeper are lazy too.

Marcus Whittman does a really good job of following the whole league and he just did a video where he called Stephens overrated adn that he's a product of the defensive talent around him lol.

I just find that huge disrespect to the deveopment Stephens has shown. The #1 step he took forward that has made him a better player is his awareness. Now that he's getting hsi head around to the ball he's able to pair his insane athletic ability and make plays on the ball from trail technique.

I just try and remember we're a small market team who doesn't get national attention and we've always had top defenses with the reputation of guys achieving more due to the talent.
    "Cause if you ainít pissed off for greatness, that just means youíre okay with being mediocre, and ainít no man in here okay with just basic.Ē
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    When can they get out of Humphrey's contract without much pain? He may be gone in a season or two.
    They can get out with some significant cap savings after this year. I think you are wrong though. Humphrey is healthy and coming back strong this year

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I’d switch Jimmy and Marlo
    Missing Marcus Peters.

I don't think Tavon Young was THAT good in the limited snaps he actually played to overcome the numerous injuries.
    It ain't pretty, but it's us.
    AND I'M HERE FOR IT ALL, BABY.

We were getting healthier...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    National media is just lazy.

Even some of the guys that go a little deeper are lazy too...
    I agree there is a lot of laziness, and hot takes, whether they are based in any kind of fact or not.

But in defense of the national media, there just aren't enough hours in the day to have in-depth knowledge on every team. Pretty much everyone on this site knows more about the Ravens than any member of the national media. If they spend 8 hours a day devouring football knowledge, that's only 15 minutes per team. I know I average much more than that, between listening to podcasts, watching TV, reading articles, listening to Ravens content and pressers, and conversing with the fine people of this forum.

That still doesn't excuse people who go ahead and publish conclusions without validating with a quick Google search.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They can get out with some significant cap savings after this year. I think you are wrong though. Humphrey is healthy and coming back strong this year
    Hope you're right. I like Marlon, don't get me wrong. I really want to see him return to form this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    Hope you're right. I like Marlon, don't get me wrong. I really want to see him return to form this season.
    I know. It's always tough to know if it's an injury or a decline. I just think given how Marlon was not able to work out last offseason and wasn't even able to play until the 2nd week of October and then missed more time in late November than he never was right.

Deebo Samuel talked about not being in shape because he was focused on his contract 2 years ago and being embarrassed by his bad season. He wasn't even hurt but his lack of commitment to working showed during the season. We saw the same thing from Josh Jacobs last year.

If that's the result from bad conditioning imagine what it's like to be unable to workout properly because of serious injuries for months and then coming back to play. I really believe that a healthy Humphrey is still a peak Humphrey. I'm looking forward to him proving it this year.

It's not just last season...Marlon seems to be on a yo-yo to me of good healthy season, followed by injury and good, but not Marlo standards seasons. He'll also be 29 entering next season and his cap number is way too high at $25 million. A decision will have to be made on him with that cap number and approaching the dreaded age 30 number where so many corners decline...extend and maybe get screwed on the back portion of his deal, let him play out the last 2 years of his deal with really high cap numbers, or ask for a pay cut (with incentives I'm sure to make up a lot of the difference) which would mean to release him and see what the market says when trying to re-sign him if he refuses.

In short, I just don't think there is any way he's 100 percent certain to be back next year without really having to deal with that cap number and when you get there, it's always a possibility of the end of the relationship.

I do think with his physicality he can probably move to safety to extend his career when he gets into his 30's so I'd like to see him retire here personally.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

3 reasons why I like Stephens and his upside.
    First he's still growing and learning. We all know how he switched positions in college.
    Second he's still young and on his first contract. Look at his progress in that time.
    Third he's been somewhat healthy and available. Ability is often based on availability.
    Just my take on Stephens and why I think he is very good.

I saw from somebody credible (I think it was Zrebeics twitter) the team has tried to extend Brandon Stephenís this offseason. He didnít accept. He wants to play out this season and hit free agency for the maximum pay day. Iím excepting a great year from him, knowing that heís betting on himself and looking to really shine.

I think Marlo has a good year too. Whenever he talks about it, you can hear how disappointed he was with being injured last year. Iíd certainly like to see the return of the fruit punch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    I saw from somebody credible (I think it was Zrebeics twitter) the team has tried to extend Brandon Stephen’s this offseason. He didn’t accept. He wants to play out this season and hit free agency for the maximum pay day. I’m excepting a great year from him, knowing that he’s betting on himself and looking to really shine.

I think Marlo has a good year too. Whenever he talks about it, you can hear how disappointed he was with being injured last year. I’d certainly like to see the return of the fruit punch.
    Rw19, I agree. If he has a monster year it will be good for us in 2024, even though we will likely lose him to greener pastures in 2025. That's OK because we would receive a decent Comp Pick, and EDC prepared by drafting Wiggins and TJ Tampa to reload @ CB... Bc