Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: National Media opinions on Brandon Stephens

I really hope Marlo bounces back from his injury. When healthy, he was one of my favorite Ravens CBs to watch, and his “fruit punch” was a thing of beauty.

Leads me to an interesting thought, how would you rank the top 10 CBs in Ravens history?

Chris McAlister (prototype CB1)
    Marlon Humphrey
    Jimmy Smith
    Ladarius Webb
    Brandon Stephens
    Gary Baxter (when he was healthy early on)
    Duane Starks
    Samari Rolle (I put him on instead of Deion Sanders because he was with us for 4 seasons and more productive)
    Cary Williams (played really well in the Super Bowl run of 2012, picking off Andrew Luck and Tom Brady)
    Tavon Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    I really hope Marlo bounces back from his injury. When healthy, he was one of my favorite Ravens CBs to watch, and his “fruit punch” was a thing of beauty.

Leads me to an interesting thought, how would you rank the top 10 CBs in Ravens history?

Chris McAlister (prototype CB1)
    Marlon Humphrey
    Jimmy Smith
    Ladarius Webb
    Brandon Stephens
    Gary Baxter (when he was healthy early on)
    Duane Starks
    Samari Rolle (I put him on instead of Deion Sanders because he was with us for 4 seasons and more productive)
    Cary Williams (played really well in the Super Bowl run of 2012, picking off Andrew Luck and Tom Brady)
    Tavon Young

Just using the players you mention:

McAlister - best CB in Ravens history imo
    J.Smith - would tie McAlister for me if not for injuries
    Samari Rolle - love Marlo but Samari was underrated
    Humphrey - great when healthy
    Baxter - same as what you said
    Starks - good CB
    Webb/Stephens - both had 1 great season and up and down ones
    Young/Williams - both had highs and lows but never made me thinj they were a #1 CB

Stephens suffers from primacy bias. People's first impression is that of unheralded third round prospect. His first couple of seasons saw him bouncing between positions and sometimes struggling to find the ball in coverage.

When people don't see you early and when early returns aren't all that impressive, people stop looking for you.

If Stephens plays well again this year, everyone will see him and his conspicuous signing bonus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Just using the players you mention:

McAlister - best CB in Ravens history imo
    J.Smith - would tie McAlister for me if not for injuries
    Samari Rolle - love Marlo but Samari was underrated
    Humphrey - great when healthy
    Baxter - same as what you said
    Starks - good CB
    Webb/Stephens - both had 1 great season and up and down ones
    Young/Williams - both had highs and lows but never made me thinj they were a #1 CB
    Duane Starks was much better than a "good CB." In his four years as a Raven (1st round draft choice #10 in 1998) this undersized (5' 10" 175 lbs) CB corralled 5, 5, 6, 4 INTs in the regular season, and 4 more in the playoffs including a TD return vs. the Giants in the Super Bowl. In his 62 games, he amassed 201 tackles (185 solo) plus 6 FFs, 1 FR, 20 INTs (including one returned for a TD).

In my book, that's better than good... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Duane Starks was much better than a "good CB." In his four years as a Raven (1st round draft choice #10 in 1998) this undersized (5' 10" 175 lbs) CB corralled 5, 5, 6, 4 INTs in the regular season, and 4 more in the playoffs including a TD return vs. the Giants in the Super Bowl. In his 62 games, he amassed 201 tackles (185 solo) plus 6 FFs, 1 FR, 20 INTs (including one returned for a TD).

In my book, that's better than good... Bc
    Yeah, Starks definitely had a nose for the ball and was playmaker, moreso than, say, Jimmy Smith.
    What Starks lacked that Smith had was size. When you get older you get slower. If you are slower and still big then your size can help you stick around, ala Smith. But if you're slower and small your replacement is easier to find.

Blog Entries

This happens all the time with Corners unless they are getting interceptions. DeRon Bland is forced to start for the Cowboys because Diggs tears his ACL. He has 9 interceptions and 5 touchdowns and it's kind of hard not to talk about him.

Meanwhile there were some other great one who didn't get the picks. That doesn't mean they could cover. Charvarius Ward had one of the best years of any CB last. He got a little notice but not until he got named to the Pro Bowl

Michael Carter of the Jets might have been the best slot CB in the NFL last year. Slot guys rarely get media attention and I don't remember anyone talking about Carter especially after the RB Michael Carter was released. His whole attraction to the media was that the Jets had 2 guys with the same name. They rarely talked about Carter's play

Mike Hilton of the Bengals did everything well. That guy was a real pain in the ass including a nasty hit on Lamar in one of our games

Kenny Moore of the Colts also stood out. That's a good pressure defense and with Moore they had a perfect guy to compliment the pressure in the secondary

I don't think Stephenson got it worse than other CBs who also played well without much media attention

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a player who had a season as good as Stephens get as little respect as he's been getting this offseason from national media. Dude was the 3rd most targeted player in football and played at almost a Pro Bowl level.

Yet ALL I see after we drafted Wiggins is how we "now" have a guy who can be plugged in to start on the other side of Marlon. So few people who aren't local are acknowledging that Wiggins will get playing time due to how the game is played today with all these WR's, but unless Wiggins starts out the gate playing at elite pro bowl level, he won't be starting above Stephens.

Next year of course is a probable different story with Stephens a UFA and the team looking really hard at Marlon's $25+ million cap number, but right now, it's crazy to me that people out there seem to be just writing Stephens off like this.
    This board truly needs to improve where you consume sports media. Everything on espn and other major networks is complete garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by balbomb View Post
    This board truly needs to improve where you consume sports media. Everything on espn and other major networks is complete garbage.
    Don't bother listening to the media. Just look how messed up the so called draft experts were on their predictions . Trust your own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by signore View Post
    Don't bother listening to the media. Just look how messed up the so called draft experts were on their predictions . Trust your own eyes.
    Your own eyes and just really trust the opinions of a select few. There are people out there worthy of listening to them every week on football, and what they say should be worth more than 20 guys on network tv. Personally I think if Michael Lombardi is not one of your main sources you are nuts. If you don’t follow Steve fezziks gambling power rankings you are out of the loop. There are some other really smart guys mixed in with 99% of dummies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Wiggins was drafted to be Stephens replacement in 2025. He will be behind Stephens for the season because Stephens is just that damn good. Get Wiggins in that weight room while giving him snaps as the #4 corner (Maulet will play slot I think).
    I disagree with this. I dont think theyre looking at it as definitive CB1/CB2/etc, certainly not yet. theyre going to play matchups, which he allows you to do. there will be times Humph will be the slot, others Maulet. There will be times Stephens starts, and others when Wiggins does. these are chess pieces and theyll use them for their best abilities depending on matchups.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    Exactly my thoughts
    Yes if marlo hurt but when on field, rare i know, he was excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by mddisney1 View Post
    Yes if marlo hurt but when on field, rare i know, he was excellent!

When can they get out of Humphrey's contract without much pain? He may be gone in a season or two.