Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

National Media opinions on Brandon Stephens

I don't think I've ever seen a player who had a season as good as Stephens get as little respect as he's been getting this offseason from national media. Dude was the 3rd most targeted player in football and played at almost a Pro Bowl level.

Yet ALL I see after we drafted Wiggins is how we "now" have a guy who can be plugged in to start on the other side of Marlon. So few people who aren't local are acknowledging that Wiggins will get playing time due to how the game is played today with all these WR's, but unless Wiggins starts out the gate playing at elite pro bowl level, he won't be starting above Stephens.

Next year of course is a probable different story with Stephens a UFA and the team looking really hard at Marlon's $25+ million cap number, but right now, it's crazy to me that people out there seem to be just writing Stephens off like this.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: National Media opinions on Brandon Stephens

It just shows that a lot of folks in the national media don't actually watch the Ravens games unless it's a primetime game. I remember one time Shannon Sharpe was praising the play of a player that actually missed the entire game, but it was a guy who was typically a good player so it was clearly a default statement.

If it's not a well known player, or a high draft pick, a lot of these analyst probably won't actually know them. Clearly they can't watch every single game as they air, but I feel some don't even try and watch highlights before they comment.

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    It just shows that a lot of folks in the national media don't actually watch the Ravens games unless it's a primetime game. I remember one time Shannon Sharpe was praising the play of a player that actually missed the entire game, but it was a guy who was typically a good player so it was clearly a default statement.

If it's not a well known player, or a high draft pick, a lot of these analyst probably won't actually know them. Clearly they can't watch every single game as they air, but I feel some don't even try and watch highlights before they comment.
    For sure. And really, it's not even that hard to sit through a condensed version of these games via game pass, or at least chunks of them. And there are analytics out there too that tell you a lot. They just ignore them/lazy.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Wiggins was drafted to be Stephens replacement in 2025. He will be behind Stephens for the season because Stephens is just that damn good. Get Wiggins in that weight room while giving him snaps as the #4 corner (Maulet will play slot I think).

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Wiggins was drafted to be Stephens replacement in 2025. He will be behind Stephens for the season because Stephens is just that damn good. Get Wiggins in that weight room while giving him snaps as the #4 corner (Maulet will play slot I think).
    I don't agree. I think EDC wants 3 good to great corners. It's a place they spend. I expect Stephens to be extended if he has another good year.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Stephens and Humphrey both play in 2024 like they did in 2023, Stephens will be extended and Wiggins will take Humphrey's job in 2025.

Actually, I expect both Wiggins and Stephens to be playing outside this season with Humphrey in the slot. Can't say how soon though

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I don't agree. I think EDC wants 3 good to great corners. It's a place they spend. I expect Stephens to be extended if he has another good year.
    What if Wiggy and Buffy both look like players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Stephens and Humphrey both play in 2024 like they did in 2023, Stephens will be extended and Wiggins will take Humphrey's job in 2025.
    Exactly my thoughts

The good news is - what the national media don't know won't hurt us.

Blog Entries

If Stephens has another year like 2023, the National Media still may not give him his due respect, but in 2025 some team will give him something more valuable :

Probably won't be the Ravens though but if he helps us win the Super Bowl, then I can live with it ... Bc

I like Stephens more than Humphrey. All I can say is we can never have enough CBs.

If they all play well this upcoming season then we probably lose at least one after the season.

Good thing we have 3, maybe 4 good CBs. It will be less of a position of need next season.

Good. Extra motivation.