Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

O'Reilly after Obama interview:

"He's a tough guy, Obama ... I looked at him eye to eye — he's not a wimpy guy."

Re: O'Reilly after Obama interview:

Ummmm... okay? Once again, you seem like a good guy, but these posts are getting silly. No one is saying Obama is not tough. You have to be tough when running for president. Americans (democrats and republicans both) would not want a weak president. Now granted, Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush... I can not explain how that happened.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

the reference was implying that mccain-palin is just continuing the same policies as george bush, which has been obama's theme all along. not sure how that costs him a couple million votes.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    Did you catch Oby's lipstick remark?

I missed it but someone just told me he said you can put lipstick on a pig in reference to Palin's hockey mom lipstick joke during her speech.

Oby's remark didn't go over to the femmes who are now furious at him and he supposidly retracted saying something like, "that's not what I meant."

Um huh.

He just lost a couple of million more votes and Galen said Palin should keep not talk or answer quesitons?
    Hmmm. I am a registered republican. I typically vote GOP, but have on several occasions have voted democrat. I have a hard time believing that Obama would do something so brazen that it would potentially ruin his political career. Having heard the comments leading up to that comment, I truly felt that this was indeed NOT a remark about Governor Palin. Itmay have been a play on her lipstick joke, but it was certainly not a case of Senator Obama referring to Palin as a pig.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

no, you're right. he didn't call her a pig. like i said before, he was just saying that the mccain-palin campaign was just dressing up george bush's policies in their own way. not sure how that could be misconstrued by anyone that read the comment.

not to flog a dead horse here but here's obama's remark in its proper context:

"The other side, suddenly, they're saying 'we're for change too.' Now think about it, these are the same folks that have been in charge for the last eight years," the Illinois senator told a crowd of 2,400 people in Lebanon, Virginia.

"You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. You can wrap up an old fish in a piece of paper and call it change. It's still going to stink after eight years. We've had enough," he exclaimed to a standing ovation.

After being slammed for the comment, the Obama campaign retorted that "lipstick on a pig" was a well-worn phrase and, via senior adviser Anita Dunn, issued a stinging retort after spending days accusing McCain and Palin of playing fast and loose with the truth.

"Enough is enough. The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy -- the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan just last year," Dunn said in a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mavhimself View Post
    not to flog a dead horse here but here's obama's remark in its proper context:

"The other side, suddenly, they're saying 'we're for change too.' Now think about it, these are the same folks that have been in charge for the last eight years," the Illinois senator told a crowd of 2,400 people in Lebanon, Virginia.

"You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. You can wrap up an old fish in a piece of paper and call it change. It's still going to stink after eight years. We've had enough," he exclaimed to a standing ovation.

After being slammed for the comment, the Obama campaign retorted that "lipstick on a pig" was a well-worn phrase and, via senior adviser Anita Dunn, issued a stinging retort after spending days accusing McCain and Palin of playing fast and loose with the truth.

"Enough is enough. The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy -- the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan just last year," Dunn said in a statement.
    I was just getting ready to post this. So yeah, I think the comment was mostly benign. I still think he should have chosen a different analogy. He hould have lknown this would bite him in the butt. Regardless, the reaction from McCain and constituents is knee-jerk at the least.

And when I say knee-jerk, I mean no offense to folks who suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome.

maybe he could (should) have used a better analogy. but still, that's kinda lowball twisting the guys words like that. i suppose you could say, "that's politics" but why is that everytime the obama campaign draws a breath against palin the gop cries "sexism!" when you know if this were hillary clinton they'd be doing the exact same things the dems are to palin.

Quote Originally Posted by mavhimself View Post
    maybe he could (should) have used a better analogy. but still, that's kinda lowball twisting the guys words like that. i suppose you could say, "that's politics" but why is that everytime the obama campaign draws a breath against palin the gop cries "sexism!" when you know if this were hillary clinton they'd be doing the exact same things the dems are to palin.

Because, quite simply, the stock answer is indeed "That's politics". But smear campaigns, though marginally effective, seldom have the desired impact. The John Kerry "swiftboating" seemed to work, but honestly, Kerry really sat back and took it. That was the damaging aspect. If a candidate can chip away at an opponent's base, they will exploit the crap out of it. Democratic OR Republican. McCain had to deal with the "He has an illegitimate black child" smear campaign. It is stupidity at its finest in the silly-season of elections. The point is, if you can defame your opponent enough, it eventually has an impact (mostly minimal), but in an election that as of right now, is at a dead heat, anything to pull ahead will be used.

agreed. see the other thread for my opinion of kerry in '04 but its about hat yours is. btw, i heard something about how the mccain-palin campaign actually hired the guy who came up with the "john mccain has a black child" thing in '00 to help with palin's vp run. maybe i'm wrong on that but i thought i saw it somewhere.

That is a possibility.

you can bet the obama campaign will have some serious fun with that one if its true.