Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Go CAPS!!

Re: Let's Go CAPS!!

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Half the teams would disagree with you.
    That is my issue with it. You do an entire regular season, charge a fortune for seats, then only eliminate half the teams. This is why they seem to go through the motions so often during the regular season. NBA is even worse since MORE than half of the teams make the playoffs. NFL had it right at 12 teams. But then of course Goodell's and the owner's greed made them add two more teams simply for more money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section 120 Says View Post
    Wow, I am surprised there has been so many replies. I did not think there were many Caps fans on the forum. It is great to hear the old stories about the Clippers and Skipjacks. Those were the great days. Got in for $1 on student pass. Go CAPS!!!
    The NHL is a good league and hockey is great sport. I love to hear the stories and everyones experiences. Thanks for starting this thread

I am waiting for Ranger coach (Old Caps coach) Peter L. to put Rempe (GOON) on the ice with Wilson to try to get him out of the game. Rempe plays 4 mins a game and has 100 PIM. Wilson is the 2nd line RW, plays on the PP and kills penalties. Hopefully Wilson stays on the ice and the referees throw Rempe out of the game. But the NHL has it out for Wilson. Go CAPS!!!
    Willie will destroy him.

I did not think there were many Caps fans on the forum.
    Big hockey fan, but not a Cap fan. I don't hate the Caps, but to me they are just "meh". Call it indifference, I guess.

Side note - I took a speech class in college and had to do a 15 minute informative speech using visual aids. It was kind of fun to explain the rules and penalties of ice hockey while using a hockey stick on the professor. (I took it easy when explaining cross checking, though. )

I started watching the caps very on and off in middle school when they were in the finals. Then I lived in DC for a long time so I became a fairweather fan, but was there when they won the Stanley Cup. Fun times! I will root for them since Baltimore doesn't have a team.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    That is my issue with it. You do an entire regular season, charge a fortune for seats, then only eliminate half the teams. This is why they seem to go through the motions so often during the regular season. NBA is even worse since MORE than half of the teams make the playoffs. NFL had it right at 12 teams. But then of course Goodell's and the owner's greed made them add two more teams simply for more money.
    Ughh you nailed this. Baseball is even worse. You have 162 games and then include more teams and have a best of 5 series. Like you said, football was the absolute perfect post season at 12 teams, minimum of 15 games mattered for just about everyone. Now with the inclusion of an extra two teams, two less byes in the playoffs, you can absolutely feel the weight of every game being lowered. At least with hockey, the falloff is really only the last ten or less games of the regular season it seems. Although my Golden Knights are trying to set this theory ablaze with their maneuvering.

Hopefully the Dallas Stars kick the crap out of them in the first round.
    Really going to test the importance of having a cohesive team vs a talented team. The Vegas hockey guys that I follow closest all seem to have a lot of confidence in the way we play against Dallas though. I think series is decided in first two games, if Vegas gets game 2 I think they win the series, down 2-0 I think we get blown out.

The Nashville Predators (17,300 seats) and the Colorado Avalanche (18,000 seats) play to over 100% capacity. The Nordiques (who became the Avalanche) rarely topped 95% capacity in a 15,000 seat arena. As for Miami (Florida Panthers), they don't fill their stadium (96%), but got a boost this year based off their post-season performance last season. Winning cures a lot of ills.

Winnipeg is a playoff team but only plays to 89% capacity, so how much of a hotbed (in terms of a fan base to support the team) is it, really? You are right about Arizona, but Vegas is definitely in the desert and play to over 100% capacity.
    I wasn't implying that Nashville and Denver don't draw well and, as mentioned, winning fixes a lot of things. The Lightning probably outdraw the Rays on a per game basis. In the early days of the Caps out in Landover, they were usually drawing 11-13K a game but, of course they were also horrendous. As for Quebec, the move of the Nordiques was not due to lack of support but simply the economics of playing in a US market as opposed to a Canadian one. Same for the original Jets going to Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Willie will destroy him.
    Perhaps but Wilson isn't the pre-injury Wilson anymore. He doesn't mix it up physically nearly as much and his production is down, too. I don't think the Caps made a very shrewd move signing him to a 7 year deal coming off that injury. 3 years tops is what they should have offered.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Perhaps but Wilson isn't the pre-injury Wilson anymore. He doesn't mix it up physically nearly as much and his production is down, too. I don't think the Caps made a very shrewd move signing him to a 7 year deal coming off that injury. 3 years tops is what they should have offered.
    That probably had to do with the way the salary cap works in the NHL, but I can't be certain.

Great to see the Caps made the playoffs. Tough test playing the Rangers. Don't know if there are any other big fans of the Caps on the board. Go CAPS!!!
    Let's go Knights!

Good game. The Caps have to play the defensive style to stay with the Rangers. 1st period was a good feeling out for both teams. The goon scored on a lucky bounce and he became a superstar NHL player according to the ESPN crew. The game turned bad for the Caps when Iorio was crosschecked into the boards and the referee standing there somehow did not see it. I don't know how he missed it. Good to see the Caps let him know about it. Now we will see if the NHL has any guts and suspends the guy. If that had been Wilson he would have been suspended for a year. The NHL is terrible at how it hands out punishment. I turned the sound off in the 3rd period because I got tired of listening to the announcers root for Rangers the first 2 periods. What happened to superstar Rempe in the 3rd period, I only saw him once until the final minute. But it is still great to see the Caps in the playoffs. Go Caps!!! Playoff Hockey is GREAT!!