Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Go CAPS!!

Re: Let's Go CAPS!!

It’s too bad Baltimore area doesn’t have a minor league hockey team. I live near a low level team and go to a lot of games. It’s a blast. Super entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by balbomb View Post
    Hopefully Golden Knights can get healthy as the playoffs go on.
    Hopefully the Dallas Stars kick the crap out of them in the first round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section 120 Says View Post
    I am waiting for Ranger coach (Old Caps coach) Peter L. to put Rempe (GOON) on the ice with Wilson to try to get him out of the game. Rempe plays 4 mins a game and has 100 PIM. Wilson is the 2nd line RW, plays on the PP and kills penalties. Hopefully Wilson stays on the ice and the referees throw Rempe out of the game. But the NHL has it out for Wilson. Go CAPS!!!
    Pretty sure they have Rempe just for Tom Wilson. He ain't gonna be taking any cheap dirty shots on Panarin this go round.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I'm only a hockey/Caps fan in the playoffs, and even then just barely. Regular season is just a waste of time (like the NBA). If they get out of the first round I may catch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    I'm only a hockey/Caps fan in the playoffs, and even then just barely. Regular season is just a waste of time (like the NBA).
    Half the teams would disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by balbomb View Post
    No clue how a Ravens forum can have a fan of DC anything. Hopefully Golden Knights can get healthy as the playoffs go on.
    The Baltimore Skipjacks were coached by Barry Trotz, who coached the Caps. And...lotsa old Skipjacks went on to play for the Caps. Plus, the NHL is just fun & F Pgh, F Philly....! I go into DC a lot for concerts, plays, Caps games....can't think of a reason to dislike the district. Now...the 4Skins on the other hand....Jack Kent Crook & little Danny Boy.....super easy to hate. Detest that franchise, but love the Caps, indifferent to the Nats, and the former Baltimore Bullets...just feel sorry for any fan of the Wiz now. But...if your biggest rival is PGH....I will root for you & that's who is the Caps #1 enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It's not hard to figure out. No NHL team in Baltimore, so if one grows up here the closest team to follow is in Washington. Add to it that the Capitals are the only team that gets any consistent local coverage (not everyone has ESPN+). I would guess that most hockey fans who don't root for the Capitals do so for one of two reasons, 1) they are transplants who grew up following another team, 2) there is a particular player(s) that one likes and follows that team as a result. I know several Oiler fans who have never been to Edmonton, but like watching McDavid play, for example.
    Baltimore had a chance at an NHL expansion franchise in 1967 when the league went from the original six to 12 teams. However, the Civic Center was such a monstrosity that the league passed. I went to many a Baltimore Clipper game there and the place really was/is a dump. It was never designed for hockey with a stage at one end and seats with literally no view. Some seats in the upper deck at the end opposite the stage had 1/3 of the ice nearest to it cut off from view because of its shallow slope. People up there could only see the goal at that end by standing up.

There's a story that NHL President Clarence Campbell walked in there back when the league was figuring out where franchises might go, took one look around and asked, "Who designed this place, Frank Lloyd Wrong?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Baltimore had a chance at an NHL expansion franchise in 1967 when the league went from the original six to 12 teams. However, the Civic Center was such a monstrosity that the league passed. I went to many a Baltimore Clipper game there and the place really was/is a dump. It was never designed for hockey with a stage at one end and seats with literally no view. Some seats in the upper deck at the end opposite the stage had 1/3 of the ice nearest to it cut off from view because of its shallow slope. People up there could only see the goal at that end by standing up.

There's a story that NHL President Clarence Campbell walked in there back when the league was figuring out where franchises might go, took one look around and asked, "Who designed this place, Frank Lloyd Wrong?"
    Great story!

Connecticut has had 2 major league teams in its history. The first was the New York Giants who played at the Yale Bowl in 1973 and 1974 because their home venue of Yankee Stadium was being renovated.

In 1979 Connecticut got it's 2nd major league team, and one that wasn't going to be temporary, when the WHA Hartford Whalers were admitted to the NHL. It was pretty tough going being between the media markets of New York who had 3 local teams in the Rangers, Islands and Devils and the Boston who had the Bruins. The Whalers still had a pretty good run of 18 years before they moved to Carolina because the state would not use taxpayer money to build a new stadium.

In the mid-90s when NY Rangers started to become very expensive my friends and I would go up to Hartford and would right on the ice for almost nothing. We would all the big teams like the Penguins with Lemioux and Jagr, the Redwings with Yzerman, Federov and half the Russian Army team. The big one was always Mark Messier and the Rangers which we'd pretty much never miss. Hockey is a live event that it just wasn't the same once the Whalers moved and that source of great cheap tickets was no longer and option. I used to watch on TV but lost interest a long time ago because it wasn't close to the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Great story!

Connecticut has had 2 major league teams in its history. The first was the New York Giants who played at the Yale Bowl in 1973 and 1974 because their home venue of Yankee Stadium was being renovated.

In 1979 Connecticut got it's 2nd major league team, and one that wasn't going to be temporary, when the WHA Hartford Whalers were admitted to the NHL. It was pretty tough going being between the media markets of New York who had 3 local teams in the Rangers, Islands and Devils and the Boston who had the Bruins. The Whalers still had a pretty good run of 18 years before they moved to Carolina because the state would not use taxpayer money to build a new stadium.

In the mid-90s when NY Rangers started to become very expensive my friends and I would go up to Hartford and would right on the ice for almost nothing. We would all the big teams like the Penguins with Lemioux and Jagr, the Redwings with Yzerman, Federov and half the Russian Army team. The big one was always Mark Messier and the Rangers which we'd pretty much never miss. Hockey is a live event that it just wasn't the same once the Whalers moved and that source of great cheap tickets was no longer and option. I used to watch on TV but lost interest a long time ago because it wasn't close to the same.
    Yea, the NHL has really screwed up with some of their franchise moves. Putting a team back into Atlanta after the first one failed only to see it fail again was certainly rather shortsighted. Similarly, moving a team from a hockey hotbed like Winnipeg to the Arizona desert was another. How you can not have a team in Quebec (but have them in Nashville and Miami) since the Nordiques went to Denver, is also curious.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Yea, the NHL has really screwed up with some of their franchise moves. Putting a team back into Atlanta after the first one failed only to see it fail again was certainly rather shortsighted. Similarly, moving a team from a hockey hotbed like Winnipeg to the Arizona desert was another. How you can not have a team in Quebec (but have them in Nashville and Miami) since the Nordiques went to Denver, is also curious.
    The Nashville Predators (17,300 seats) and the Colorado Avalanche (18,000 seats) play to over 100% capacity. The Nordiques (who became the Avalanche) rarely topped 95% capacity in a 15,000 seat arena. As for Miami (Florida Panthers), they don't fill their stadium (96%), but got a boost this year based off their post-season performance last season. Winning cures a lot of ills.

Winnipeg is a playoff team but only plays to 89% capacity, so how much of a hotbed (in terms of a fan base to support the team) is it, really? You are right about Arizona, but Vegas is definitely in the desert and play to over 100% capacity.

Wow, I am surprised there has been so many replies. I did not think there were many Caps fans on the forum. It is great to hear the old stories about the Clippers and Skipjacks. Those were the great days. Got in for $1 on student pass. Go CAPS!!!

Used to go to Skipjacks games and loved going to see live hockey at the Arena. Around 89-90 was the peak for me going to as many games as I could. Even though they were their AHL farm club at that point I never adopted the Caps as my home team. Don't care for Leonsis or anything DC at all.
    Baltimore Football Championships
    Ravens 2000, 2012
    Stallions 95 CFL
    Stars 85 USFL
    Colts 58, 59, 70