Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: Jordan peterson

  1. #1

    Jordan peterson

    IMO there is no one that has a better grasp or can explain where society is today then Jordan Peterson. A complex issue of where we are today as a society explained perfectly. John Stossell does an exemplary job as he always does playing the Devils advocate while asking questions.

    I offer up this video to our resident left wing zealots to consume, if you want to know how most of western civilization thinks......here you go. A more common sense approach then an opinion that sides with any ideology. Jordan Peterson is one of the most important voices of our time.

    Peterson's view on how to raise children are spot on.......Yes, his critics will say...."why should I listen to someone that was addicted to pills?" You shouldn't "listen" to anyone, you should hear all points of view and sift through the nonsense and decide for yourself what you think is true for you.

    Peterson is an incredibly intelligent person with an insight that few can or will talk about, I have seen his talks in person and he is much more personable in person then most of the videos I have seen. Most videos he is very defensive and that's because in most of the videos he is being attacked and or most often confronted with hostility.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTtngcSO5c
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......





  2. #2

    Re: Jordan peterson

    I like what you had to say here, I will give this a listen in a bit. While I may not agree with him (or a lot of people) I really enjoy listening to as many people as possible so I can gather more points of view to help make my own decisions

    Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    ďI'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.Ē - Bret Hart





  3. #3

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I like what you had to say here, I will give this a listen in a bit. While I may not agree with him (or a lot of people) I really enjoy listening to as many people as possible so I can gather more points of view to help make my own decisions

    Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Thanks, let me know what you think?

    What I find as interesting is that as of this moment there has been about 160 views of my post, of course I don't know how many of those views actually watched the video. I understand some people don't want to watch because they might not want to hear anything Peterson has to say, but then there is a post about Ben Shapiro and Free speech and there is 7 pages discussing the subject of Ben Shapiro and Candice Owens having a pissing match.

    Sometimes I think that the audience here is like much of the mainstream internet audience, they don't necessarily want to learn from each other.......or have discussions. They just want to argue to be right. To have their own opinions validated by others.

    I often think that sometimes Peterson "talks over people" meaning that many people will not understand what he says, uses big words or concepts about society that is above the common persons understanding. That many times is myself...........however we all should be learning everyday. Expanding our opportunity to learn from others. To many times in this age of the internet we fall in to just wanting to hear ourselves talk......to associate with groups of people who only think like they do........echo chambers.

    What was so interesting about the video I posted is that many of the subjects discussed were issues that are very current.......things we are dealing with in society right now.

    Something else I find interesting about this section of the chat forum is that on a few occasions I have posted issues about society and what's going on right here in our back yards......in our families, our society and very few respond and talk about it. We can have 101 pages talking about "Wrasslin" and you couldn't buy a response about crime in our city and why it's happening and what needs to be done about it, or what as a society should we address real issues that we are confronted with everyday. I know their polarizing and people would rather avoid such things. It's easier to talk about the war in Israel or over a 100 pages of the Presidential election. Even in those discussions there is very little healthy debate going on.

    I digress, we all wonder why we are where we are as a society.....how we got to where we are? Honestly, with a country as great as our country is.........with so many great intelligent people among us, we end up with these two people running for President? Why? because we refuse to educate ourselves. As long as everything is great on our own little piece of the planet fuck everything.....and everyone else.

    In the words of Jordan Peterson........Good luck with that.
    Last edited by ThankyouArt!; 04-17-2024 at 07:56 AM.
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,503
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jordan peterson

    I’m going to comment on why people probably are not watching and then engaging to the degree you would like. Now for me, (and i know this is not most) its a video. Don’t really want to watch a video and really cant when im on this board. But more importantly, (and this probably applies to most here) the video is 20 minutes long. I don’t have 20 minutes to view something that may or may not make a point, or more importantly take 20 minutes to see a 15 second point. This is primarily a short form format.





  5. #5

    Re: Jordan peterson

    I was at work when I ran across this, and kind of forgot about it until it was bumped today, so this was tis morning's shower thoughts and listen.

    as will not surprise many here, i found this to be very insightful and a difficult to disprove point of view.

    i have a past co-worker that is a friend. in the course of the past 4 years has gone from a feminine presenting straight female, to Bi, to gay, to dating a Man, to living with said man(clearly shifted back to Bi without announcing to the whole world) to shaving their head and coming out as non-binary and now making every single non-hormonal step possible to attempt to conceal their gender.

    i try very hard to keep the pronouns as requested, its simple respect. I'm not perfect, i get a respectful correction. i support their right to make the REQUEST publicly, and even have poor thoughts about others that refuse to comply. .
    there is a fair bit of narcism involved, but there is also therapy involved, so i leave it at that.

    i say all this to sayÖ. legally compelling compliance is WAY past the line.
    Society's attempt to equalize will ALWAYS, NeCESSARiLY bring down the top more than being up the bottom. look at no child left behind for proof. NOTHING has been as good for the progress of man as capitalism. No examples of socialism/communism have ever turned out positively in the long run. Even, so called "democratic socialism" id a misnomer and is actually just capitalism with a massive welfare state grafted on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  6. #6

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I was at work when I ran across this, and kind of forgot about it until it was bumped today, so this was tis morning's shower thoughts and listen.

    as will not surprise many here, i found this to be very insightful and a difficult to disprove point of view.

    i have a past co-worker that is a friend. in the course of the past 4 years has gone from a feminine presenting straight female, to Bi, to gay, to dating a Man, to living with said man(clearly shifted back to Bi without announcing to the whole world) to shaving their head and coming out as non-binary and now making every single non-hormonal step possible to attempt to conceal their gender.

    i try very hard to keep the pronouns as requested, its simple respect. I'm not perfect, i get a respectful correction. i support their right to make the REQUEST publicly, and even have poor thoughts about others that refuse to comply. .
    there is a fair bit of narcism involved, but there is also therapy involved, so i leave it at that.

    i say all this to say…. legally compelling compliance is WAY past the line.
    Society's attempt to equalize will ALWAYS, NeCESSARiLY bring down the top more than being up the bottom. look at no child left behind for proof. NOTHING has been as good for the progress of man as capitalism. No examples of socialism/communism have ever turned out positively in the long run. Even, so called "democratic socialism" id a misnomer and is actually just capitalism with a massive welfare state grafted on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure if you intended to but intentionally or not you illustrated perfectly how I feel about the issue. The co-worker you described is obviously confused. That's my belief, that people who struggle with gender are having physiological issues........I sympathize with them. I will address them as they want to be addressed, I however will not participate in there issues. I respect everyone and will treat them accordingly.

    For me there are certain facts that are true......men have a penis, woman have a vagina. Therefore the notion that sex is a social construct is BS. If it is.......then why do people who struggle with gender cut off body parts? I mean if it's just a social construct? Why grow facial hair? Wear a wig? Does gender come down to a costume? No, it's how they "feel" which is exactly why it's a physiological issue. Androgyny has been around for centuries......maybe since the beginning of time and there was never confusion between sexes........until the last 10-15 years.

    Capitalism? There's no system ever created in the history of the world that has created more wealth and more freedom then capitalism. No other system has cured poverty more then capitalism, created opportunity, the opportunity to be educated, to succeed. If there is any one thing that Peterson is right about it's about capitalism and the idea of......equality of outcome is nothing but BS.
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......





  7. #7

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I’m going to comment on why people probably are not watching and then engaging to the degree you would like. Now for me, (and i know this is not most) its a video. Don’t really want to watch a video and really cant when im on this board. But more importantly, (and this probably applies to most here) the video is 20 minutes long. I don’t have 20 minutes to view something that may or may not make a point, or more importantly take 20 minutes to see a 15 second point. This is primarily a short form format.
    I am not looking for any preconceived amount discussion......my point was the lack of ANY. Funny how you mention that 20 minutes is more then you want to invest.........don't get me wrong, that's very fair. I too believe time is important and how we spend our time is important. Funny how some people ( not implying it's you) will spend an hour or more watching "Wrasslin" but wouldn't actually watch something they could learn from.......but then again they are watching Wrasslin which actually explains a lot.

    I posted here for the very reasons you outlined, I always thought that members here actually wanted to discuss issues more then a "short form format". There's plenty of subjects that are greatly discussed.....like is the world flat? .......lol But thank you for the constructive criticism. I think you're right.........which is the very reason the world is where it is.......we just don't talk to each other. You clearly and succinctly explained why.......Thanks!

    Although I disagree with that sentiment after this post I will refrain from doing it again. I don't want to get in the way with some good Wrasslin discussion or why Ben Shapiro fired Candice Owens and hear more of Shade's drivel.
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......





  8. #8

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    I am not sure if you intended to but intentionally or not you illustrated perfectly how I feel about the issue. The co-worker you described is obviously confused. That's my belief, that people who struggle with gender are having physiological issues........I sympathize with them. I will address them as they want to be addressed, I however will not participate in there issues. I respect everyone and will treat them accordingly.

    For me there are certain facts that are true......men have a penis, woman have a vagina. Therefore the notion that sex is a social construct is BS. If it is.......then why do people who struggle with gender cut off body parts? I mean if it's just a social construct? Why grow facial hair? Wear a wig? Does gender come down to a costume? No, it's how they "feel" which is exactly why it's a physiological issue. Androgyny has been around for centuries......maybe since the beginning of time and there was never confusion between sexes........until the last 10-15 years.

    Capitalism? There's no system ever created in the history of the world that has created more wealth and more freedom then capitalism. No other system has cured poverty more then capitalism, created opportunity, the opportunity to be educated, to succeed. If there is any one thing that Peterson is right about it's about capitalism and the idea of......equality of outcome is nothing but BS.
    Oh no, they are most certainly confused, and I sympathize and can respect them, but yes, we agree completely.

    Being in oneís mid 30ís and acting like a teenager in many ways is not a human with well adjusted brain chemistry or well conceived thoughts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jordan peterson

    You guys are better than me. Iím not conforming to this crap. I donít care what you claim your pronouns are - if youíre a man youíre a he and a woman youíre a she. These are absolute Truths. I will be polite and courteous but Iím not following their made up utopia guidelines. Too many times I think we (American society) donít push back on these ridiculous grasps for attention and that lands us in the position weíre in today. These people clearly need psychological help with their gender dysphoria and those frivolously supporting this stuff are just further adding to the problem claiming it as acceptable





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,503
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    I am not looking for any preconceived amount discussion......my point was the lack of ANY. Funny how you mention that 20 minutes is more then you want to invest.........don't get me wrong, that's very fair. I too believe time is important and how we spend our time is important. Funny how some people ( not implying it's you) will spend an hour or more watching "Wrasslin" but wouldn't actually watch something they could learn from.......but then again they are watching Wrasslin which actually explains a lot.

    I posted here for the very reasons you outlined, I always thought that members here actually wanted to discuss issues more then a "short form format". There's plenty of subjects that are greatly discussed.....like is the world flat? .......lol But thank you for the constructive criticism. I think you're right.........which is the very reason the world is where it is.......we just don't talk to each other. You clearly and succinctly explained why.......Thanks!

    Although I disagree with that sentiment after this post I will refrain from doing it again. I don't want to get in the way with some good Wrasslin discussion or why Ben Shapiro fired Candice Owens and hear more of Shade's drivel.


    I appreciate that you want to talk about what is important to you. But it is a short form site. Post a blurb of your main point or reference the time in a video your main point is discussed/made. Your more likley to grab the attention you want. With a link to the longer form, if the posters are intrigued, the long form discussioní is still available.
    And hey lets also keep in mind people come to this site for entertainment/distraction as well. So insulting them because they are entertained by wrasslin (not a fan myself), not helping to draw conversations





  11. #11

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore35 View Post
    You guys are better than me. Iím not conforming to this crap. I donít care what you claim your pronouns are - if youíre a man youíre a he and a woman youíre a she. These are absolute Truths. I will be polite and courteous but Iím not following their made up utopia guidelines. Too many times I think we (American society) donít push back on these ridiculous grasps for attention and that lands us in the position weíre in today. These people clearly need psychological help with their gender dysphoria and those frivolously supporting this stuff are just further adding to the problem claiming it as acceptable
    So donít get me wrong.

    She is a woman in my eyes and will always be. She is also mentally ill.

    I can also simply respect her to her face.

    Sheís a good person as misguided as she is, and extremely narcissistic, but I can still respect her.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  12. #12

    Re: Jordan peterson

    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore35 View Post
    You guys are better than me. I’m not conforming to this crap. I don’t care what you claim your pronouns are - if you’re a man you’re a he and a woman you’re a she. These are absolute Truths. I will be polite and courteous but I’m not following their made up utopia guidelines. Too many times I think we (American society) don’t push back on these ridiculous grasps for attention and that lands us in the position we’re in today. These people clearly need psychological help with their gender dysphoria and those frivolously supporting this stuff are just further adding to the problem claiming it as acceptable
    Agreed, I refuse to participate in the charade, but every human deserves respect. Because they want to put on a costume and assume a new identity doesn't mean I have to necessarily go along with it. I will call you by the name you choose to be called. As Peterson said......it's like a nicname.......you want to be called Spike....fine I will call you Spike, but I am less likely to call you Ms. just because you put on a wig. I will not call you she. Those terms are reserved for a female. If someone who is clearly a man ask me to call the "she" "her" or Ms. I would not do that. I would ask them what name would you like me to call you? I will not participate in their delusions. There is nothing that requires me to do so.....My refusal to call them their preffered pronouns in my opinion is not discrimination or any disrespectful behavior. Like you there are simple truths, woman, females are Ms., Miss and Mrs. I was brought up to honor and respect woman. A male in a dress is not a woman no matter how much they want to be one. They can be whomever they choose to be........just don't require me to participate in their psychological delusions.
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site
var infolinks_pid = 3297965; var infolinks_wsid = 0; //ó->