Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse

Eclipse

I just used my welding helmet to look at it. Pretty cool. The lighting is weird af right now. Helmet is an auto-sensing one but it was flickering on and off so I had to resort to the pinhole in paper trick. Still very weird lighting right now.

Re: Eclipse

Guy at work got the classes, relatively cool for sure. We are only 80% ish or so here in central PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Re: Eclipse

We enjoyed it at work. Think we were 87ish per cent. Actually enjoyed watching it online on the NASA site, leading up to us going outside to see the "peak" at 3:00 or so. Started down in Mexico on their site and very cool to see, as they made their way up through other cities. Would have loved to be at Niagara Falls to see it.

Have recently befriended an alley cat. She leaves in the morning and comes in for the evening (6:00 PM/sunset.) Yesterday she was at the door at 3:00 PM. She spent much of her time in the house pacing, then looking out the window, then pacing some more.

Huge disappointment. My first partial eclipse encounter (IIRC) was in Baltimore in the sixties. Eerie sight of dusk in the afternoon with zero clouds. Even with 85-90 percent coverage there’s too much sunshine for it to get significantly dark. IMO a TOTAL eclipse is the only way to enjoy it.

Noticed that the high standing shrubbery at my house automatically provided multiple crescent images of the sun on my front concrete porch and walkway. I seemed to remember seeing that before. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant surprise (didn’t have the eclipse sunglasses).

CCx

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    Have recently befriended an alley cat. She leaves in the morning and comes in for the evening (6:00 PM/sunset.) Yesterday she was at the door at 3:00 PM. She spent much of her time in the house pacing, then looking out the window, then pacing some more.
    Reminds me of Monty Python’s skit “Confuse a Cat”.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Huge disappointment. My first partial eclipse encounter (IIRC) was in Baltimore in the sixties. Eerie sight of dusk in the afternoon with zero clouds. Even with 85-90 percent coverage there’s too much sunshine for it to get significantly dark. IMO a TOTAL eclipse is the only way to enjoy it.

Noticed that the high standing shrubbery at my house automatically provided multiple crescent images of the sun on my front concrete porch and walkway. I seemed to remember seeing that before. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant surprise (didn’t have the eclipse sunglasses).

CCx
    Partials aren't worth too much trouble. I took my kids and we met friends down in SC in 2017, wife had to work. Up until totality is was interesting, but in totality it is completely different. COMPLETELY! 99% partial isn't 99% of totality except in sun coverage.

When we were done in SC I searched for the next one, this one. We made plans to go with a lot of tailgate friends (same we joined in SC plus others) and my wife could do this one. We had reservations in San Antonio but changed course at the last minute due to weather. We started out in Albany on Friday, which was cool because my daughter goes to college there so we got to see her on Saturday and Sunday. We were going to Plattsburgh, but the weather in northern NH and Vt was near 100% good while Plattsburgh was in the 90s. We drove the extra to get that few percent.

Anyway, we ended up damn near in Canada in Orleans, VT, home of Ethan Allen furniture manufacturing. We parked in their lot with many others.

All for 3 1/2 minutes of totality. AND IT WAS WORTH IT.

It is a unique experience. At 99% coverage other than the temperature dropping during the covering the lighting around you is, at darkest, like 30 minutes before sunset. Then, at 100% coverage, the switch is thrown and it gets eerily dark and you can now look without the glasses. You can see some stars and the planets in the sky you couldn't see at 99% coverage.

I would say everyone needs to do this once in their life but we aren't scheduled in the continental US until 2044 now. There is a bit of talk in our group about going to Egypt in 2027 for one there with 7 minutes of totality.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Partials aren't worth too much trouble. I took my kids and we met friends down in SC in 2017, wife had to work. Up until totality is was interesting, but in totality it is completely different. COMPLETELY! 99% partial isn't 99% of totality except in sun coverage.

When we were done in SC I searched for the next one, this one. We made plans to go with a lot of tailgate friends (same we joined in SC plus others) and my wife could do this one. We had reservations in San Antonio but changed course at the last minute due to weather. We started out in Albany on Friday, which was cool because my daughter goes to college there so we got to see her on Saturday and Sunday. We were going to Plattsburgh, but the weather in northern NH and Vt was near 100% good while Plattsburgh was in the 90s. We drove the extra to get that few percent.

Anyway, we ended up damn near in Canada in Orleans, VT, home of Ethan Allen furniture manufacturing. We parked in their lot with many others.

It is a unique experience. At 99% coverage other than the temperature dropping during the covering the lighting around you is, at darkest, like 30 minutes before sunset. Then, at 100% coverage, the switch is thrown and it gets eerily dark and you can now look without the glasses. You can see some stars and the planets in the sky you couldn't see at 99% coverage.

I would say everyone needs to do this once in their life but we aren't scheduled in the continental US until 2044 now. There is a bit of talk in our group about going to Egypt in 2027 for one there with 7 minutes of totality.
    THANKS for the detailed description (like a vicarious experience). It will have to do for me in this lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Spain also sounds kinda cool for thf one in I think 2026?

Also one coming in Australia later. Apparently the first total eclipse Sydney will have since the mid 1800s.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

The 2044 one I think isn’t too far for MD travel either

11. Re: Eclipse

I'm thinking Iceland in 2026

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I'm thinking Iceland in 2026
    That's intriguing. Nonstop flight out of BWI and some other cool stuff to do there.