Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Key Bridge

Blog Entries

Re: OT: Key Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Talking about social media mate, don't flatter yourself. I'd have quoted you if I was talking about you.
    I think you handled that with grace Arnie.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    As I drove back from Dewey Beach Sunday I looked off to the left while crossing the bridge and their was an enormous tanker heading toward the bridge on it's way to Baltimore. All I could think was how glad I was I'd be over the bridge long before that tanker came anywhere near it. The size of those things are incredible. I kept thinking how easy it would be for such an enormous thing to take down one of those spans.

This is going to sound goofy but I remember being at the Bears game opening day in 2001 thinking how vulnerable the fans were and what the carnage would be if a plane from BWI was flown into the stadium. That was 9/9.
    Scariest bridge I ever crossed was in the middle 1970's at Chesapeake City crossing the C&D Canal. The approach parallelled the canal, rising to bridge height (high enough to cleare ocean going vessels) at that height it made a 90 degree turn to cross the bridge and on the other side was a 90 degree turn to take the ramp down to ground level on the other side.
    Never too old for a happy childhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Gives perspective on life. How fragile it is. I learned over the years with Linda's diagnosis. Then you see things like this. I was in the World Trade Center not long before it was hit. It minimizes the things we think are problems, important, or necessary in this life.

Practice gratitude people.
    It's amazing now we as people are simultaneously so fragile and so resilient. Life is constantly breaking down and building back up. Guy can slip in the bathroom and die from busting his head, or survive a free fall from 1000 ft.

On the WTC bit - one of my geology professors at Lafayette worked at a station on Mt. Saint Helens. Days after his term finished, his replacement died in the eruption.

And of course there are plenty of stories like Waylon Jennings missing Buddy Holly's flight. That's how things go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    It's amazing now we as people are simultaneously so fragile and so resilient. Life is constantly breaking down and building back up. Guy can slip in the bathroom and die from busting his head, or survive a free fall from 1000 ft.

On the WTC bit - one of my geology professors at Lafayette worked at a station on Mt. Saint Helens. Days after his term finished, his replacement died in the eruption.

And of course there are plenty of stories like Waylon Jennings missing Buddy Holly's flight. That's how things go.
    Holy crap! A geologist I used to work with was in a helicopter over the volcano the day before it erupted!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Holy crap! A geologist I used to work with was in a helicopter over the volcano the day before it erupted!
    Was it Dr Lawrence Malinconico? lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Was it Dr Lawrence Malinconico? lol
    John Hanou, I will ask him if he knows him. Likely, they had to have crossed paths.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Depends on the competency of people in charge. With Mayor Pete, it will be slow. New people in charge with a possible trump administration, it could be up in less than 2
    With a tragedy like this, on this board I’m not surprised someone turned this into a political comment. Typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mdduckman View Post
    With a tragedy like this, on this board I’m not surprised someone turned this into a political comment. Typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    The one cop was just about to go up there after the workers as soon as another unit arrived on scene. He was THAT close to being on the bridge during the collapse. Imagine what's going through his mind!
    Reminds me of the great Australian swimmer, Ian Thorpe, who was headed for the World Trade Center on 9/11, but forgot his camera and returned to his hotel to get it. He was 18 at the time, and went on to set all sorts of swimming records. Sometimes fate smiles kindly on you, even when tragedy strikes. Life is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Reminds me of the great Australian swimmer, Ian Thorpe, who was headed for the World Trade Center on 9/11, but forgot his camera and returned to his hotel to get it. He was 18 at the time, and went on to set all sorts of swimming records. Sometimes fate smiles kindly on you, even when tragedy strikes. Life is weird.
    A former coworker's brother had a similar thing. We were both trying to locate our siblings. Her brother worked in the world trade center. Many days went by, and she hadn't heard anything. Finally, she said he was fine. He was trying to quit smoking, but went out for a smoke, right before the planes quit. He said he will never quit now.

My sympathies are with the victims and the families of those whose loved ones were lost as a result of this tragedy. I hope that the state of Maryland (or the shipping company) does everything they can to compensate all affected by this incident.

I remember many trips across the Key Bridge in the 90s to visit my Dad's side of the family in Dundalk. There were the remains of some old wooden ships on the South side of the Patapsco River, and my fascination with Fort Carroll as we hit the high point of the bridge. I can't imagine how different things must look to locals now, with basically the whole Key Bridge gone.
    Last edited by RVA7; 03-28-2024 at 10:53 PM.

Everybody has to give the Army Corp of Engineers a lot of credit for the way they have stepped up the lead the way to clear the channel and rebuild the bridge. It was amazing they had equipment coming up the bay in just TWO days. They have been working 24/7 since then and are making progress. GREAT JOB GUYS!!! I don't know how everybody else felt but I was really concerned with the way Wes Moore, Brandon Scott, Ben Cardin and Chris Van Holland were talking about how long it would take to get this moving. Wes Moore started saying it would take two to three years to get the Port running again. He was clearly in way over his head on what to do. But at least he showed up for this as opposed to NOT showing up for the Brooklyn mass shooting when he was in Ocean City. I am not sure what Brandon Scott's part is in this other than the port is closed. Ben Cardin and Chris Van Holland stepped all over each other trying to get money and got nothing done. Same with the Maryland government has got nothing done. They should have been working 24/7 to get money to the people at the port. I am just glad the federal government is running this. GREAT JOB Army Corp of Eng. Now that is our federal tax dollars WELL SPENT!!!!! Time for Moore, Scott, Cardin + Van Holland to stay off TV and let the Corp Project Manager keep everybody updated. THIS NOT THE TIME TO BE CAMPAIGNING FOR THE NEXT ELECTION!!!