Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 212223

Re: Hot Seat Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXbio View Post
    He was so damn disappointing, I thought he would have given us at least something
    I'll admit he was one that I whiffed on. I watched that 2016 alabama team very closely (I'm a Bama fan, and that 2016 defense is my personal favorite college D since u started watching in 08).

He had the get off, the acceleration around the corner, solid hand fighting, good tracking skills in the open field, he showed a few different moves too.

What I failed to realize was how inept against the run he was. When you play on a defense literally filled with 1st rounders and all-pro players it's easy to cover up your deficiencies. He was bad against the run, never progressed from a move and counter move standpoint, and his overall lack of strength got exposed by NFL OT's. Plus I got the feeling he didn't grasp the Ravens playback fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Man, I thought Tim Williams would be a cornerstone player for us when he got drafted. His college tape was amazing.

Hated that pick. I hated that entire draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by BRfan96 View Post
    I'll admit he was one that I whiffed on. I watched that 2016 alabama team very closely (I'm a Bama fan, and that 2016 defense is my personal favorite college D since u started watching in 08).

He had the get off, the acceleration around the corner, solid hand fighting, good tracking skills in the open field, he showed a few different moves too.

What I failed to realize was how inept against the run he was. When you play on a defense literally filled with 1st rounders and all-pro players it's easy to cover up your deficiencies. He was bad against the run, never progressed from a move and counter move standpoint, and his overall lack of strength got exposed by NFL OT's. Plus I got the feeling he didn't grasp the Ravens playback fast enough

I remember reading shit on him and he seems to have that Kenny Young mentality (Stone Stupid) ZERO football IQ.

I remember watching a video of someone talking about he was going to bust right after the draft. Hated that entire draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Ozzie admitted once Boldin was 1 player that got away from them and they still traded him. I thnk the mutiny that year, Harbaugh winning a ring he gained too much power.
    Just my perspective. The bullshit reason we heard was to save money and spend on defense, they got like Michael Huff and someone else who were never any good.
    I never heard the team say they traded Boldin to save money for the defense. That seems like a strange claim, given that was the same timeframe they were giving Joe Flacco his $120M contract.

Highly paid veterans Ray Lewis and Ed Reed also would depart with Boldin after the '12 Super Bowl, lowering the spend on that side of the ball. Granted, the defense still had HOF-worthy talent to pay, like Haloti and Suggs. While they may have been getting long in-the-tooth, I wouldn't call continuing to pay these two, "bullshit" excuses for not paying Boldin.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    They wasted so much money n draft picks trying to get the saftey position right after that all the way to Thomas
    Yes. Well until Weddle maybe.

To your point—and to refute the notion that losing Boldin can be blamed on overspending on defense—Huff as the first pick of '13 was perhaps a forced attempt to save money on defense while hoping Reed's departure would not hurt them badly.

For that matter, their second overall pick in '13, Arthur Brown, was a similar forced and failed attempt to replace a departing defensive star: Ray Lewis.

In this latter case at ILB, they also chose to bring in a low-budget, 31-year-old Daryl Smith to fill in at ILB next to low-budget UDFA Jameel McClain...before going back to the well and making CJ Mosley the first pick the following year. So, they solved it with a cheap but successful draft pick at ILB.

They tried the same go-cheap solution at S, but with much less success. To wit, they had already taken late-round swings-and-misses at Christian Thompson and Asa Jackson in the '12 draft, prior to the huge Elam miss in '13.

Then in '14 they tried to bandaid the problem when used a third-round pick on Terrance Brooks ... gave free agent Darian Stewart to one year deal ... and signed Will Hill after the Giants cut him for multiple PED violations.

In '15 their very first free agent signing was Kendrick Lewis after Stewart was one and done.

Point being, they didn't exactly break the bank on the defensive side of the ball by bringing in all these draft picks and free agents to shore up the safety positions. Only after three seasons of misfiring did they step up and spend money to bring in Eric Weddle in '16.

Meaning—unlike their failure on the defensive side to replace expensive Ed Reed with a number of seasons of cheap imposters—on the offensive side they actually stepped pretty quickly and spent money to address the loss of Boldin. It was just one season of the Marlon Brown experiment in '13, before they spent real money on Steve Smith to play alongside Torrey Smith in '14.

That strikes me as more urgent and concerted effort to invest a hole in the offense than what we saw from them after Reed left.
    Last edited by Shas; 04-03-2024 at 02:56 PM.
    "That's what."
    ó She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I never heard the team say they traded Boldin to save money for the defense. That seems like a strange claim, given that was the same timeframe they were giving Joe Flacco his $120M contract.

Highly paid veterans Ray Lewis and Ed Reed also would depart with Boldin after the '12 Super Bowl, lowering the spend on that side of the ball. Granted, the defense still had HOF-worthy talent to pay, like Haloti and Suggs. While they may have been getting long in-the-tooth, I wouldn't call continuing to pay these two, "bullshit" excuses for not paying Boldin.

To your point—and to refute the notion that losing Boldin can be blamed on overspending on defense—Huff as the first pick of '13 was perhaps a forced attempt to save money on defense while hoping Reed's departure would not hurt them badly.

For that matter, their second overall pick in '13, Arthur Brown, was a similar forced and failed attempt to replace a departing defensive star: Ray Lewis.

In this latter case at ILB, they also chose to bring in a low-budget, 31-year-old Daryl Smith to fill in at ILB next to low-budget UDFA Jameel McClain...before going back to the well and making CJ Mosley the first pick the following year. So, they solved it with a cheap but successful draft pick at ILB.

They tried the same go-cheap solution at S, but with much less success. To wit, they had already taken late-round swings-and-misses at Christian Thompson and Asa Jackson in the '12 draft, prior to the huge Elam miss in '13.

Then in '14 they tried to bandaid the problem when used a third-round pick on Terrance Brooks ... gave free agent Darian Stewart to one year deal ... and signed Will Hill after the Giants cut him for multiple PED violations.

In '15 their very first free agent signing was Kendrick Lewis after Stewart was one and done.

Point being, they didn't exactly break the bank on the defensive side of the ball by bringing in all these draft picks and free agents to shore up the safety positions. Only after three seasons of misfiring did they step up and spend money to bring in Eric Weddle in '16.

Meaning—unlike their failure on the defensive side to replace expensive Ed Reed with a number of seasons of cheap imposters—on the offensive side they actually stepped pretty quickly and spent money to address the loss of Boldin. It was just one season of the Marlon Brown experiment in '13, before they spent real money on Steve Smith to play alongside Torrey Smith in '14.

That strikes me as more urgent and concerted effort to invest a hole in the offense than what we saw from them after Reed left.
    Ozzie did talk about trading Boldin for defense. I remembered this too because a couple of these guys really did not perform well. It made Ozzie's quotes look bad in hindsight. Reading what you wrote a couple times I think you nailed it. The Ravens had never paid a QB before the way they had to pay Flacco. Ray and Ed were going. For Ozzie this was a defense first franchise and he had to find a way to keep it that way and pay Flacco. This was all new and Ozzie was trying to figure it out. His experience in the Boldin role when he was a player made him think that wasn't as important as the defense

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...to-fix-defense

Newsome was willing to move Boldin to fix defense

At a time when the Ravens are bringing in guys to fill in blanks on offense based on offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell’s Colts memories of them, it’s easy to think how much they could use wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

But Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome told Peter King of the TheMMQB.com that he had no regrets over trading his veteran wideout for a sack of beans, saying the money saved helped rebuild their defense.

“The acquisitions of Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff are a direct result of the money we saved from that contract,” Newsome said. “And other guys we got—Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Daryl Smith—were helped by the savings. So if you ask the question, you can’t just say, ‘Do you wish you kept him?’ You also have to look at the unintended consequences of your actions.”

Boldin was shipped to San Francisco for a sixth-round pick, but the real benefit was the $6 million in salary Newsome peeled off the books. Losing tight end Dennis Pitta for the season leaves the Ravens with a hole in the middle of their offense, but Newsome filled many more gaps on the other side with the savings (Dumervil, Huff, Canty and Smith count $6.47 million against the cap this year).

“You have to have an owner who understands the long haul, and I’m fortunate that Steve Bisciotti does,” said Newsome. “When Dumervil came free, unexpected of course, we weren’t looking to spend that kind of money [five years, $27 million], but Steve’s point was, ‘We’re going to be winning, and we’ll never be able to get a pass rusher like that in the draft where we’ll be picking.’ That’s really beneficial for a GM like me, to have an owner who can see down the road and see the big picture. . . .

“I took a safety net from Joe [Flacco], and I’m well aware of that. I’ve been a safety net for Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar, so I understand what he’ll be missing.”

Dumervil also gives the Ravens long-term cover for outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, who’s scheduled to make $7.8 million in 2014, the last year of his current deal. That’s the kind of long-term thinking that has put the Ravens in a consistently successful place, and they’re willing to sacrifice an immediate need for that stability.
    Last edited by GOTA; 04-03-2024 at 03:50 PM.

After the abortion of an AFC championship gameplan, I doubt he's going anywhere any time soon. Sadly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    ďI'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.Ē - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I have pointed that out for years on how 1 sided the teams spending and draft capital was spent during Ozzies tenure.

Ozzie showed you his personal bias or lack of importance of the WR position when he passed on every single WR in 2018 and took a 25 year old TE.

Decosta just admitted he will always look to draft the younger guy even by 1 year of age because it gives them more time to develop, (Yet Ozzie clearly ignored that aspect).

They ignored WR the year priod in 2017 which was said to be a historic WR draft, and took a bunch of defensive players who majority did not pan out.

Where is tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Chris Wormley, Chuck Clark , Nico Siragus, Jermaine Elumanor.

They passed on all these WRS who in someway have contributed and are still playing (namely Cooper Kupp being the best of the bunch)
    Zay Jones,
    Curtis Samuel
    Ju Ju schuster
    Cooper Kupp
    Chris Godwin
    Kenny Golladay
    Josh Reynolds
    So now genius you are giving Ozzie newsome one of the top 3 gms of past 25 years shit for his drafts? Unreal

1) he doesnít have a bias against wideouts, he recognizes the biases of all the other mental midget gms and fans like you who overvalue the position.

2) you somehow lack the mental capacity that every single gm on earth has bad drafts. Even in those bad drafts, itís easy to see the things he liked about most of those players

3) so he misses out on kupp and Godwin, two guys no one values heavily who cares?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I have deleted numerous posts from this thread. Not all needed to be except they quoted or made no sense with the removal of the personal attacks and exchanges. Give us all a break and discontinue your personal exchanges with name-calling and insults toward another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

At GOTA Confirmed below, they definitely publicly talked about it. I dont remember when and in what setting but I remember someone I guess a reporter asking him that question

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    After the abortion of an AFC championship gameplan, I doubt he's going anywhere any time soon. Sadly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yes and I am sure that 5 years from now we will still hear that he won a Super Bowl in 2013 and we were really close in 2028.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRaven View Post
    Yes and I am sure that 5 years from now we will still hear that he won a Super Bowl in 2013 and we were really close in 2028.
    Lmao