Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Does Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire Support Free Speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yes, but what in the world does this have to do with our exchange?
    It’s very simple. People like Elon and Ben claim to hold their platforms to the legal level of free speech in this country. They do not. They censor whatever they don’t like. WHICH IS WELL WITHIN THEIR RIGHT. However, it also makes you a liar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    It’s very simple. People like Elon and Ben claim to hold their platforms to the legal level of free speech in this country. They do not. They censor whatever they don’t like. WHICH IS WELL WITHIN THEIR RIGHT. However, it also makes you a liar

Makes me a liar? Or them?

Here's how it works. You can be for free speech in that you believe THE GOVERNMENT should not be involved in censoring speech. As we now know the Biden administration was pressuring all of the social media companies to stop the speech they did not like. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG. And one can object to that (government influence) while at the same time telling people, especially employees, they can not use that organization for speech they find objectionable.

I have no issue with the Candace Owens dismissal. I agree with wickedsolo it probably should have all remained behind the scenes.

I am more concerned with posters being censored. If a social media app just lets ir roll that would be my preference and I would absolve them from responsibility of what is posted. Once they start controlling content I think they are then completely responsible for what is posted.

Not so sure about that.
    Twitter's selling point is precisely that it is a kind of public bulletin board. The public's speech is the product.
    Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire -- Shapiro is the product. His message -- the messages he approves of -- are the product. The public consumes Shapiro.

If I tune into Daily Wire, my expectation -- the public's expectation (and demand) -- is news interpreted in a certain way.
    If I dial up Twitter, my expectation -- the public's expectation -- is a free for all.

When Shapiro fires Owens, my expectations aren't disappointed because I know I'm buying Shapiro.
    When Twitter puts in thumbs on the scale, my expectations are disappointed because I thought I was buying the world's opinions, as opposed to the world's opinions that Twitter agrees with.
    A censorious Twitter is a bait-and-switch in a way that a censorious Shapiro is not. Twitter baits with free speech then switches with censorship. Shapiro baits with Shapiro-approved content and then switches to...a different Shapiro-approved content.

Directly from Ben Shapiro's mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5FaJUygnva0
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......

Ben Shapiro is the new rightwing podcast king after Alex Jones got sued for denying Sandy Hook, Tucker Carlson got fired for being an extremist election denier and I think moved to Russia and Steven Crowder got caught abusing his wife.

Ben Shapiro needs to keep his nose clean

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    PROUD DISABLED VETERAN DESPITE RSR HATRED

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Ben Shapiro is the new rightwing podcast king after Alex Jones got sued for denying Sandy Hook, Tucker Carlson got fired for being an extremist election denier and I think moved to Russia and Steven Crowder got caught abusing his wife.

Lol, you really don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    Directly from Ben Shapiro's mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5FaJUygnva0
    Can someone explain to me how “You can say what you want” and “there’s an Overton window in acceptable speech” can both be true?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post

Aren't you the one who has praised the rape and murder of Jewish children?

Yeah, you should probably just shut the hell up about everything ever.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Can someone explain to me how “You can say what you want” and “there’s an Overton window in acceptable speech” can both be true?

The first references individual liberty to speak freely.
    The second references the effects of speaking freely.

In 1982 I have liberty to say Jack should be able marry Larry, and nothing notably bad will happen if they marry. In 1982 I'm laughed at.
    In 2012 I have the liberty to say the exact opposite. I'm scolded.
    Free speech warmed the water, shifted the Overton Window, until a once-extreme viewpoint became conventional or dominant.

People (especially people who hold extreme views or who are members of minority group) value free speech precisely because the free expression of ideas is a good way to persuade/subvert/shift the Overton Window.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    The first references individual liberty to speak freely.
    The second references the effects of speaking freely.

In 1982 I have liberty to say Jack should be able marry Larry, and nothing notably bad will happen if they marry. In 1982 I'm laughed at.
    In 2012 I have the liberty to say the exact opposite. I'm scolded.
    Free speech warmed the water, shifted the Overton Window, until a once-extreme viewpoint became conventional or dominant.

People (especially people who hold extreme views or who are members of minority group) value free speech precisely because the free expression of ideas is a good way to persuade/subvert/shift the Overton Window.
    The problem is he lauded himself and his company on the level of free speech he allowed his employees, WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY lambasting other publishing corporations like cnbc, cnn, nytimes, ect… for censoring what felt the truth was. That is the HEIGHT of hypocrisy.

The problem is he lauded himself and his company on the level of free speech he allowed his employees, WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY lambasting other publishing corporations like cnbc, cnn, nytimes, ectÂ… for censoring what felt the truth was. That is the HEIGHT of hypocrisy.

Larry Flynt was a publisher. The Catholic Church is a publisher. Was Larry Flynt less of a First Amendment advocate because he wouldnÂ’t replace smutty centerfold pictures with an image of a crucified Christ? Since he's a publisher and First Amendment advocate he should have allowed it, right? The Catholic Church could co-opt Hustler Magazine and Flynt could do nothing about it lest he prove himself to be a hypocrite, right?

You are noting the similarities in the definition of “publisher” but ignoring differences between the content and purposes of the publications.

The organizations you mention publish for the purpose of informing their audience of the facts and truth. Thereby, the audience can form its own opinion.

Shapiro publishes his opinion. How Shapiro interprets facts and expresses his opinions are the product. (The same goes for Owens, Walsh et Al).

Shapiro claims to offer his own opinions and does just that.
    The New York Times claims to offer all the news that's fit to print, but then mischaracterizes facts and omits news.

Shapiro gives what he promised: Shapiro approved commentators. The Times gives you less than it promised; it gives an incomplete set of facts reported and characterized in manner that leads you to a conclusion rather than permitting you to arrive at one of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    Larry Flynt was a publisher. The Catholic Church is a publisher. Was Larry Flynt less of a First Amendment advocate because he wouldnÂ’t replace smutty centerfold pictures with an image of a crucified Christ? Since he's a publisher and First Amendment advocate he should have allowed it, right? The Catholic Church could co-opt Hustler Magazine and Flynt could do nothing about it lest he prove himself to be a hypocrite, right?

You are noting the similarities in the definition of “publisher” but ignoring differences between the content and purposes of the publications.

The organizations you mention publish for the purpose of informing their audience of the facts and truth. Thereby, the audience can form its own opinion.

Shapiro publishes his opinion. How Shapiro interprets facts and expresses his opinions are the product. (The same goes for Owens, Walsh et Al).

Shapiro claims to offer his own opinions and does just that.
    The New York Times claims to offer all the news that's fit to print, but then mischaracterizes facts and omits news.

Shapiro gives what he promised: Shapiro approved commentators. The Times gives you less than it promised; it gives an incomplete set of facts reported and characterized in manner that leads you to a conclusion rather than permitting you to arrive at one of your own.
    Excellent post......
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......