Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Does Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire Support Free Speech?

Goodness gracious. For years I heard from this man that the principle of free speech would last eternal on his platform, yet as soon as someone speaks against his dear Zionism, they are let go. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Does Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire Support Free Speech?

Do you have a link or something?

Blog Entries

Heís referring to Candace Owens and Daily Wire parting ways.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He’s referring to Candace Owens and Daily Wire parting ways.

Candace has been saying some questionable things in regards to the Israel/Hamas. Considering Ben Shapiro is arguably the most famous Jew in the world....

And then there's the obvious part of this whole thing that a private entity is not bound by the free speech portion of the Constitution. If a worker blasts their job on social media, then they can be fired with no reprecussions.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, ďHi Iím Ben may I have a drink please?Ē
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Candace has been saying some questionable things in regards to the Israel/Hamas. Considering Ben Shapiro is arguably the most famous Jew in the world....

And then there's the obvious part of this whole thing that a private entity is not bound by the free speech portion of the Constitution. If a worker blasts their job on social media, then they can be fired with no reprecussions.
    Correct. I have no issue with this dismissal. In the TikTok thread you can see me taking a different view because that IS the government wanting more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Correct. I have no issue with this dismissal. In the TikTok thread you can see me taking a different view because that IS the government wanting more power.
    I also have zero issues with her being fired. The issue is, you canít personally say you are a free speech absolutist, but then seek to quell the speech of an individual you have issue with just because they feel how you feel. Candace said nothing illegal, libelous, or defamatory towards any single individual or entity, but you felt the need to fire her because she critiqued Zionism??

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post

Questionable things about Hamas/Israel??? Please do expound!

Itís funny how you have me blocked because youíre too scared to actually have a conversation, but somehow allows end up in every single thread I create

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    I also have zero issues with her being fired. The issue is, you canít personally say you are a free speech absolutist, but then seek to quell the speech of an individual you have issue with just because they feel how you feel. Candace said nothing illegal, libelous, or defamatory towards any single individual or entity, but you felt the need to fire her because she critiqued Zionism??

Wow, your misunderstanding is dumbfounding. I almost think you are pretending but sadly i think you just dont get it. The daily wire is under no obligation to have themselves associated with anyone they donít want to associate with. Free speech is not you have to broadcast what i say if you dont want to, then alone pay me while doing it.

Admittedly, I haven't followed this story closely. Nevertheless, I'll opine.

The legality of the First Amendment is a different issue than the values of the First Amendment.
    Legality - need a state actor.
    Values - better decision-making through discussion; human right to expression, etc. No state actor necessary to do things that nurture or undermine those values.

My understanding of the Shapiro/Owens matter is that the disagreement -- the free expression -- was allowed. The problem is that the manner of disagreement resulted in an increasingly toxic work environment. It's okay for friction to create sparks. Sparks are okay. A conflagration is not.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    I also have zero issues with her being fired. The issue is, you can’t personally say you are a free speech absolutist, but then seek to quell the speech of an individual you have issue with just because they feel how you feel. Candace said nothing illegal, libelous, or defamatory towards any single individual or entity, but you felt the need to fire her because she critiqued Zionism??

Well once again you show a complete lack of understanding of our Constitution. IT LIMITS THE GOVERNMENT FROM SQUELCHING SPEECH, NOT PRIVATELY HELD BUSINESSES! Individuals can also squelch speech. You can't come onto my property and start spewing your nonsense if I tell you to leave.

The Constitution also guarantees property rights and the owner of a business (or land) can exercise those rights in who they hire (or allow to occupy the land).

Obviously, civics isn't taught in our schools anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Wow, your misunderstanding is dumbfounding. I almost think you are pretending but sadly i think you just dont get it. The daily wire is under no obligation to have themselves associated with anyone they donít want to associate with. Free speech is not you have to broadcast what i say if you dont want to, then alone pay me while doing it.
    And you COMPLETELY skipped over where I said I have no issue with her being fired

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well once again you show a complete lack of understanding of our Constitution. IT LIMITS THE GOVERNMENT FROM SQUELCHING SPEECH, NOT PRIVATELY HELD BUSINESSES! Individuals can also squelch speech. You can't come onto my property and start spewing your nonsense if I tell you to leave.

The Constitution also guarantees property rights and the owner of a business (or land) can exercise those rights in who they hire (or allow to occupy the land).

Obviously, civics isn't taught in our schools anymore.
    What does my first sentence say?