Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Kind of concerned.. Our losses outweigh our additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    Rare to see the Steelers being so active in free agency. Really speaks to how mediocre their roster had become, even outside of the QB position. When did you ever think you’d see the Steelers paying up for a linebacker they didn’t draft.
    All the moves they have made this offseason have been very unSteeler-like. They have always had a certain way of doing things, but the results, especially in the postseason, have not come for a while, and they have decided to change their approach. The question is whether they become just another team. The reality is that in today's NFL, if you do not have a top QB you are an also-ran. Tomlin is under a lot of pressure. Another 9-8 season, early exit in the postseason might get him fired.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    interdum miraris si dignitas is erat
    Used to hate it, not gonna lie, especially having to learn by heart the whole De Bello Gallico. Now I look at all that with fondest reverie, telling my boy all about them Roman times.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Every year we go through this.

"Lower tier free agents." Like Darby was last year. Like Clowney was last year. Like Van Noy was last year.

There is the draft.
    There are free agents.
    There are cuts made after the draft and during camp.
    And then there are players in house who get better.

There are a lot of ways to fill holes. You have absolutely zero idea what this roster will look like in September. Spoiler alert: we will not have a Madden 99 player at every position. We will have a balanced roster with a lot of talent, and barring injuries, be competing for the AFCN title again.

How about just let it play out before pronouncing how bad the roster is?
    I think a lot of our replacements are already on the roster. Cleveland, Simpson, Vorhees. Our biggest holes are edge and OT. I don’t think Faleelee is the answer.

Guys just need to step up. Looking at you Oweh, Ojabo, Jad, Pepe etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    I think a lot of our replacements are already on the roster. Cleveland, Simpson, Vorhees. Our biggest holes are edge and OT. I don’t think Faleelee is the answer.

Ridiculously thin at WR, safety, ILB, G…

There's Stic the draft and offseason cuts but right now we have taken a pretty drastic hit from our talent and depth.

I'm worried to but have to have confidence in EDC/FO. We have some depth which should help but we need dogs. Let's hope we can nail a few solid starters in this draft.

I worry about depth when we have players like JAD, Pepe, Ojabo and Bowser last season. Bowser's gone but JAD, Pepe, Ojabo are big question marks. Can they stay healthy?

More reason to add DB and Edge to the draft after OL. I don't worry much about WR because there's only 1 ball and we have good WRs/TEs already.

Quote Originally Posted by horus13 View Post
    Used to hate it, not gonna lie, especially having to learn by heart the whole De Bello Gallico. Now I look at all that with fondest reverie, telling my boy all about them Roman times.
    I had a good Latin professor; that's really what enjoying a class comes down to, isn't it? Gave me a great foundation for learning science words - I can break them down etymologically and know generally what the words mean first time I hear them. That's why I took Latin for one term. But I digress

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post

Simpson is no longer on the roster. The guards are Cleveland, Vorhees (who I like but we haven't seen a snap of yet), Aumavae-Laulu and Tashawn Manning. Oddly, Mekari is a better OT than OG.

After the signing of Josh Jones I think OT is one player deeper than OG. Also Mekari is the only guy that can back up C.

The losses very well could outweigh the additions.

But it very well could be the opposite.

We have no way of knowing.

If we just focus on key spots, Henry certainly could outplay what Gus gave them.

What if Bateman gets better, or another rookie WR shines?

They are rebuilding the line to fit a new philosophy. What if that works? What if Jones, Faalale or a draft pick outplays Moses? What if Vorhees and Sala outplay Simpson and Zeitler?

We could go through the same exercise on the other side. Point being is that next man up is probably better than we realize, because we have not seem them on the big stage. Players emerge and pleasantly surprise ALL THE TIME.

There are no guarantees it all works. But it's highly unlikely that the replacements are as inadequate as our worst, uninformed fears. And I say uninformed in the kindest way possible, because I am uninformed too until I see them step into a new role.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

If we just focus on key spots, Henry certainly could outplay what Gus gave them.

They are rebuilding the line to fit a new philosophy. What if that works? What if Jones, Faalale or a draft pick outplays Moses? What if Vorhees and Sala outplay Simpson and Zeitler?

We could go through the same exercise on the other side. Point being is that next man up is probably better than we realize, because we have not seem them on the big stage. Players emerge and pleasantly surprise ALL THE TIME.

There are no guarantees it all works. But it's highly unlikely that the replacements are as inadequate as our worst, uninformed fears. And I say uninformed in the kindest way possible, because I am uninformed too until I see them step into a new role.
    I 100% agree. Every year is such a guessing game, such a new year with new teams despite a lot of the same faces.

That's why at times like this you can't have too much panic and you also can't have too much assurance. This is why it's so difficult to repeat (looking at you ya damn Chiefs). There's so much turnover and change. You never know what's happen. That's why last year hurt so much I think because you never know when you'll have such a dominant season. On the flip side it shows that being dominant doesn't guarantee anything. You have to be hot at the right time, which is what gives hope to the top half of the league. Get in the dance with some momentum and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

I think the only thing we can be sure of right now is that we are most definitely thin. We've lost loads of talent and have gained miles of question marks that could be answered in a positive or negative way (surprise breakout vs injuries and disappointment). But as of right now the depth the team had is gone at numerous positions.

Lots of turnover on the OL. By design I'd argue.

Otherwise, other than banking on Simpson for Queen, it seems like a lot of returners coming back with some depth pieces to replace.
    "That's what."
    — She

I am not overly concerned by the losses. We may be thin in a couple of areas but that is what happens when you sign a franchise QB. I think they can focus on and cover the Oline. I think they bring back Van Noy and that we have to hope that Ojabo is healthy.