Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Rashod Bateman = Route God.

Bateman not getting the ball when wide open does NOT point to lack of trust between the QB and WR. It is more indicative of a QB's progression as a QB. A good QB: 1. Throws to the open man, not the favorite target, 2. Throws a WR open. 3. Attempts and completes throws based on down and distance and scoring need and scenario - not fearing a WR drop!

Those variables alone should have yielded Bateman more looks, especially as Agholor settled into a 3/4 WR option and OBJ's touches minimized. If I were Bateman, no way I am resigning with the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    What could we realistically hope to get for Bateman in a trade?
    If they could get a fourth round pick, Iíd flip that pick for a slot WR in this draft. I mean, no matter oneís opinion of Bateman, thereís a harsh reality staring us all in the face: Weíre not going to pay him, we donít throw the ball enough for him to have the type of impact that would even make us give a second thought to paying him. This is literally his last year here no matter how he performs. And honestly, with how little we throw the ball, I could see him asking for a trade since we wonít pick up his fifth year option. To go to a team that throws the ball more. If we wanna keep throwing the ball 28 times a game, this will continue to be the issue we run into.

Blog Entries

I actually agree that Batemanís not a dog, but itís on the field that heís not a dog. Likely is a dog. Zay is a dog. Hence, why Lamar trusts them. On the field, Bateman isnít a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Doesnít fight enough for tough catches (One at Arizona is the only one all year)
    Ball has to be nearly perfect or 9/10 heís not coming down with it
    Isnít making defenders miss
    Absolutely none of this is true.

It MIGHT turn out that Bateman is like Michael Campanaro in that his body can't hold up to the rigors of league play. But there's nothing wrong with his play on the field.

Bateman has had one career game with the dropsies (Buffalo in 2022), and that one brutal horrible nasty drop in the end zone v Pittsburgh that none of us will ever forget. Otherwise he's shown fine hands.

I spose it's possible that Bateman has Travis Taylor Syndrom: catches the hard ones and drops the easy routine ones. But it's just as likely that his injury was like you said last offseason that it would be, Ex: something that effects him all year and holds him back.

Third or fourth read in all the plays; no offseason with the new OC; and a nagging injury. It would be absurd to write him off now.

I actually agree that Batemanís not a dog, but itís on the field that heís not a dog. Likely is a dog. Zay is a dog. Hence, why Lamar trusts them. On the field, Bateman isnít a dog.
    We agree 100% on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Bateman has talent, but he has never been on the same page with Lamar. Whether you blame Lamar or him, he just does not appear to be a fit
    His rookie year 2021, when Bateman finally hit the field after the groin(?) injury and his first 11 catches all went for first downs, we were lauding his incredible chemistry with Lamar.

Maybe he's forgot how to play football. Maybe the injuries sapped his ability / disrupted his mental prep. Maybe he's done. I dunno. But when you consider that the Ravens have only three WRs under contract for 2024, it'd be really dumb to make plans around getting rid of Bateman.

Bateman seems to be a timing, precise route runner and that does not fit this offense. Lamar is a hold the ball, wait for shit to develop type thrower.

Bateman needs a timing rythum offense.
    This might be right. To compare him with much more accomplished WRs, Bateman is more (say) TJ Houshmendzadeh than he is Terrell Owens.

But Lamar was more of a "timing" passer this year under Monken, than he'd ever been before. Mostly in the first half of the season; but the Miami game was his last of the reg season, and Lamar was incredible in the quick game. So, again premature to write-off Bateman.

THere is a clear cut noticeable difference in ability from him to Boykin. Boykin never flashed at the NFL level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The same think that was said about Boykin.
    As "the Boykin guy", I gotta say that Bateman has shown much more as an NFL receiver than Boykin ever has. Boykin seemed to have problems with, uh, "awareness" and play recognition. Like reading defenses and the leverage of defenders, and hot-reads for blitzes. Bateman has been miles (heh) ahead of Boykin in those areas.

Bateman's also been better at the catch point than Boykin ever was here.

I guess Shas' point is the way people are talking about Batemen: "He just needs targets!" etc. I get that. But on tape they are completely different players. Batemen is way more polished & complete than anything Boykin ever showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    You make good points. I personally think Zay is an extremely special player in the mold of Antonio Brown or Tyreek Hill. I know [some] posters disagree but everything weíve seen so far basically shows that heís on that path.
    Waldman comped Zay to Jaylen Waddle; and Steve Smith comped Zay to himself. I'm fine with a player who is somewhere between those two guys. I also think I see a bit of Antonio Brown, in Zay's sudden change-of-direction.

What I'm trying to say is that I agree with you, that Zay can become a special player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Batemanís biggest issue to me isnít talent. Heís just not a ďdogĒ or somebody that is going to demand the ball. Heís more of a passive WR thatís just happy to be there
    I dunno about all that.
    For one thing I hate to put that out there about any player. But also:

(a) Bateman had the injury this past year and from what I hear was playing with pain.
    (b) In one of those post-game videos this year, we saw Harbs give Bate a game ball, and he made reference to Bate being a player who "has gone thru a lot this year" while the rest of the locker room cheered. I have zero insight into / knowledge of what that refers to. But if there were struggles, then to me that pushes any "dog" judgements off to the side.

He seems popular with his teammates. Seems to do "the little things" right, like his technique on pick plays where he's the screener. (That's on my mind because JT O'Sullivan in one of his vids pointed out a play where set the pick correctly, a few plays after Likely got called for a penalty on one.)

We also saw Lamar be inaccurate on deep balls most of the year; not just to Bateman but to other WRs as well.

I'm sure Zay has "that dog in him". I'm sure Andrews does too. Not sure about Agholor. Odell certainly did, but as he gets older and loses athletic ability, that means less. Not ready to write off Bateman's "dog-ness" yet.

Blog Entries

I mean he literally allowed himself to be outperformed by a fan. A Fan, who ran onto the field, and STOLE the #15 jersey. Had fewer targets, and fewer targets as the first read, and outperformed Bateman.

A fan! A thief! Lol

Blog Entries

Thereís three deep passes I can think of right away that are actually on Bateman:

@PIT: Down the left sideline. Misjudges the ball in the air and drops it.

vs LA: Gave up on a go route

vs MIA: Slowed up on a go route and dove for it where he shouldnít have had to, but dropped it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimjim5 View Post
    Bateman not getting the ball when wide open does NOT point to lack of trust between the QB and WR. It is more indicative of a QB's progression as a QB. A good QB: 1. Throws to the open man, not the favorite target, 2. Throws a WR open. 3. Attempts and completes throws based on down and distance and scoring need and scenario - not fearing a WR drop!

Those variables alone should have yielded Bateman more looks, especially as Agholor settled into a 3/4 WR option and OBJ's touches minimized. If I were Bateman, no way I am resigning with the Ravens.
    agreed, Lamar just doesn't make it to him on the reads... he'll take off and scramble 20 yards deep and do two circles

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

There’s three deep passes I can think of right away that are actually on Bateman:

@PIT: Down the left sideline. Misjudges the ball in the air and drops it.

vs LA: Gave up on a go route

vs MIA: Slowed up on a go route and dove for it where he shouldn’t have had to, but dropped it.
    I can think of another one at least where he literally saved Lamar from a certain INT on an ugly, ugly pass. And a few where the ball was placed so far ahead or out there was no way he could make a play. On top of the many times he wasn't even targeted.

As stupid to argue the injuries and misses have not impacted his production so far as it is to argue Lamar is entirely innocent here.

Talented or not, to my knowledge Boykin never appeared on any charts being at the very top among WRs on separation or whatever. But here we are.
    It ain't pretty, but it's us.
    AND I'M HERE FOR IT ALL, BABY.

We were getting healthier...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    I can think of another one at least where he literally saved Lamar from a certain INT on an ugly, ugly pass. And a few where the ball was placed so far ahead or out there was no way he could make a play. On top of the many times he wasn't even targeted.

As stupid to argue the injuries and misses have not impacted his production so far as it is to argue Lamar is entirely innocent here.

Talented or not, to my knowledge Boykin never appeared on any charts being at the very top among WRs on separation or whatever. But here we are.
    But no one is arguing that Lamar is ďentirely innocentĒ