Blog Entries

Sad news, Lefty Driesell dies at age 92

I lived and breathed the Terps back when Lefty coached. He was a great recruiter, but not such a good X and O's coach, IMO. I felt they should have won a couple of National Championships with some of the great teams and players he had. Sad he has passed away. Quite a personality, and was partially blamed for Len Bias's death, whether deserved or not. RIP Mr. Lefty Driesell. You'll be missed.
    https://nypost.com/2024/02/17/sports...ll-dead-at-92/

Blog Entries

Re: Sad news, Lefty Driesell dies at age 92

R.I.P Lefty. Bigger than life personality. Definitely caught the heat for Bias' death. I was a student from '82 - '86. I still remember that photo of him leaving Cole for the last time with his family very sad.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Re: Sad news, Lefty Driesell dies at age 92

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    R.I.P Lefty. Bigger than life personality. Definitely caught the heat for Bias' death. I was a student from '82 - '86. I still remember that photo of him leaving Cole for the last time with his family very sad.
    So you were a senior when all that went down? Wow. It was a tragic, ugly stain on the program for sure and Lefty was the one who took the fall, deservedly or not. I had heard rumors that that was Len's first time using coke. I'm guessing that was just the University covering their ass as best they could and was actually not true? My favorite years for Maryland basketball had to be the early to mid 70s, with John Lucas, Tom McMillen, Len Elmore, Moe Howard etc. They were great teams and fun to watch. I took their loses back then harder than I do the Raven's loses these days. And I went to Towson back then but supported MD.