Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your thoughts on He Gets Us SB ad

Watching the SB He gets us ad made he fo hmmmm that seems a little off on initial viewing. Iíve seen online that some Christians on the right really didnít care for it, and some on the left didnít like it either, more to do with Hobby Lobby company being part of the funding (apparently they find hobby lobby hateful)
    My take was, yeah Christ loved all, but He didnít wash the feet of unrepentant sinners. He washed feet of His disciples to portray service and humility to be emulated. Now I donít think the group behind was intentionally being subversive to Christianity, I think they simply are trying to get a better understanding of God Loves out there. Others think they WERE being subversive. Your thoughts?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Your thoughts on He Gets Us SB ad

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Watching the SB He gets us ad made he fo hmmmm that seems a little off on initial viewing. I’ve seen online that some Christians on the right really didn’t care for it, and some on the left didn’t like it either, more to do with Hobby Lobby company being part of the funding (apparently they find hobby lobby hateful)
    My take was, yeah Christ loved all, but He didn’t wash the feet of unrepentant sinners. He washed feet of His disciples to portray service and humility to be emulated. Now I don’t think the group behind was intentionally being subversive to Christianity, I think they simply are trying to get a better understanding of God Loves out there. Others think they WERE being subversive. Your thoughts?
    He washed the feet of Judas knowing Judas was about to betray Him.

The minimal value of these ads (they were on for the last SB or two and other places) is that they get people to think and talk about Jesus. You can't do a real examination of Jesus in an ad.

Blog Entries

The only and immediate thing Iíve seen anyone talking about on social media, which I agree with, was how the 14M they spent on these ads could have gone to things the church claims to support, such as feeding the hungry and sheltering the poor. But no, Super Bowl commercial.

Message itself means nothing. Not a person on this planet needs acceptance from a fictional character from a fictional book to be valid, to deserve a good life, to be treated the same as everyone else.

Blog Entries

Further, as much as some donít want to see Taylor, I donít want to see something as hateful as Christianity on my television when I am trying to watch football. Itís a football game not church propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The only and immediate thing Iíve seen anyone talking about on social media, which I agree with, was how the 14M they spent on these ads could have gone to things the church claims to support, such as feeding the hungry and sheltering the poor. But no, Super Bowl commercial.

Message itself means nothing. Not a person on this planet needs acceptance from a fictional character from a fictional book to be valid, to deserve a good life, to be treated the same as everyone else.
    Well your attitude here displays why it was kinda pointless to Ďrelateí with unrepentant sinners as those to serve

The only and immediate thing I’ve seen anyone talking about on social media, which I agree with, was how the 14M they spent on these ads could have gone to things the church claims to support, such as feeding the hungry and sheltering the poor. But no, Super Bowl commercial.

Well, we can go round on the "fiction" of Jesus, but another thing the church is here for, along with good works, is evangelizing and making of disciples, a directive from The Man Himself.

I am not a fan of the ads but the attempt to evangelize in this way isn't bad.

Further, as much as some don’t want to see Taylor, I don’t want to see something as hateful as Christianity on my television when I am trying to watch football. It’s a football game not church propaganda.
    Hateful? In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hateful? In what way?
    The Bible contains several texts which encourage, command,reward, regulate and describe acts of violence

The statement attributed to Jesus "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" has been interpreted by some as a call to arms for Christians

Higher law has been used to justify violence by Christians

In 1095, at the Council of Clermont, Pope Urban II declared that some wars could be deemed as not only a bellum iustum ("just war"), but could, in certain cases, rise to the level of a bellum sacrum (holy war)

In the 12th century, Bernard of Clairvaux wrote: "'The knight of Christ may strike with confidence and die yet more confidently; for he serves Christ when he strikes, and saves himself when he falls.... When he inflicts death, it is to Christ's profit, and when he suffers death, it is his own gain

The Biblical account of Joshua and the Battle of Jericho was used to justify genocide against Catholics by Oliver Cromwell

The period of witch trials in Early Modern Europe was a widespread moral panic caused by the belief that malevolent Satanic witches were operating as an organized threat to Christendom from the 15th to the 18th centuries.

Support of slavery

Nearly all Christian leaders before the late 15th century recognised the institution of slavery, within specific Biblical limitations, as being consistent with Christian theology.

Genesis 9:25–27, the Curse of Ham, says: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem." This verse has been used to justify racialized slavery, since "Christians and even some Muslims eventually identified Ham's descendents as black Africans".

Waco

LDS cult trapping young girls in nasty sexual violence

Christians crusades [All 8]

Wieambilla shooting

Thirty Years War

Nine years war

The Northern Seven Years war

War of Spanish succession

English Civil war

the Jacobite rebellion

The Troubles in Northern Ireland

French persecution of the Huguenots

The expulsion of Jews from Spain & the Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish conquest of the Americas

Colonialism

The Trans-Atlantic slave trade

The Trail of Tears

the Holocaust

The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Witch hunts in Europe and the America

Earlier in the 19th century the Christian Russian Empire systematically purged Muslim Circassians

In Eastern Europe during the early 20th century, the collapse of the Ottoman Empire unleashed a wave of atrocities, and the Balkans became a spectacularly bloody theater. Muslim populations long embedded in homelands were rendered victims of dispossession, displacement, and death as nationalisms rooted in Christian identity surged in places like Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia.

In 1492 after the Reconquista. Religious intolerance soon took force ,Islam was outlawed and conversions to Catholicism were forced, often with the threat of death

Historians generally agree: while the records are unreliable and incomplete, at least tens of thousands of suspected nonconformists were prosecuted by church courts between 1180 and 1450; many thousands were tortured; over a thousand were executed by church authorities. . . . In a seventy-year period starting in 1560, 80,000 women were tried as witches and 40,000 were killed.

the second Klan drew deep from the well of white Protestantism and nationalism. The organization’s fierce religious bigotry and xenophobia appealed to millions of Americans in the 1920s.

Attacks on medical facilities and children's hospitals.

Bosnian Genocide

The Pogroms (1881 – 1884; 1903 – 1906; 1917 -1921) The Pogroms were a series of violent attacks carried out against the Jews by the Christians in Russia and Poland

The Albigensian Crusade, The Albigensian Crusade happened in Southern France and was an effort of the early Church to stamp out a competing ideology — in this case, Catharism. It ran from 1209 to 1229, spanning 20 brutal years. At heart, Catharism was a form of gnosticism, and was labeled a Manichean heresy by the church. It kick-started with the Massacre at Bťziers, where the Church massacred the entire population.

Hypatia was the last librarian at the Library of Alexandria. She incurred the wrath of a Christian Preacher named Peter; one day, on her way to the Library, Peter and a mob of hysterical Christians ambushed her and flayed her alive.

In 6th century pagans were declared void of all rights

In the early fourth century the philosopher Sopatros was executed on demand of Christian authorities

15th century Poland: 1019 churches and 17987 villages plundered by Knights of the Order.

Rwanda Massacres

Catholic terror in Vietnam

1648 Chmielnitzki massacres: In Poland about 200,000 Jews were slain

1391, Seville's Jews killed (Archbishop Martinez leading). 4,000 were slain, 25,000 sold as slaves.

1348 All Jews of Basel/Switzerland and Strasbourg/France (two thousand) burned.

1257, 1267: Jewish communities of London, Canterbury, Northampton, Lincoln, Cambridge, and others exterminated.

Spanish Inquisitor Torquemada alone responsible for 10,220 burnings.

Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons, unwilling to convert to Christianity, beheaded

In 2019, an investigation found 700 victims (many of them children) of alleged sex abuse by leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention

Child Abuse covered up my the Vatican

I could keep going, if you'd like.
    Last edited by ShadeRaven; 02-13-2024 at 03:29 PM.
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

I don't mind the ads because they're promoting a positive message.

Whether or not folks want to be part of a congregation or go to church, there shouldn't be a doubt in anyone's mind that our culture in the USA has degraded significantly over the past 20-30 years (maybe more), and a large part of that has mirrored declining values, morals, and ethics.

Those things were derived from religion.

So, I would say those "He Gets Us" ads are better than a lot of other ads like the billions of dollars spent on pharmaceutical ads or another car commercial or something else that is driving towards out of control consumerism.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Watching the SB He gets us ad made he fo hmmmm that seems a little off on initial viewing. Iíve seen online that some Christians on the right really didnít care for it, and some on the left didnít like it either, more to do with Hobby Lobby company being part of the funding (apparently they find hobby lobby hateful)
    My take was, yeah Christ loved all, but He didnít wash the feet of unrepentant sinners. He washed feet of His disciples to portray service and humility to be emulated. Now I donít think the group behind was intentionally being subversive to Christianity, I think they simply are trying to get a better understanding of God Loves out there. Others think they WERE being subversive. Your thoughts?
    It was twisted satanic Marxist garbage.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    The Bible contains several texts which encourage, command,reward, regulate and describe acts of violence

The statement attributed to Jesus "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" has been interpreted by some as a call to arms for Christians

Higher law has been used to justify violence by Christians

In 1095, at the Council of Clermont, Pope Urban II declared that some wars could be deemed as not only a bellum iustum ("just war"), but could, in certain cases, rise to the level of a bellum sacrum (holy war)

In the 12th century, Bernard of Clairvaux wrote: "'The knight of Christ may strike with confidence and die yet more confidently; for he serves Christ when he strikes, and saves himself when he falls.... When he inflicts death, it is to Christ's profit, and when he suffers death, it is his own gain

The Biblical account of Joshua and the Battle of Jericho was used to justify genocide against Catholics by Oliver Cromwell

The period of witch trials in Early Modern Europe was a widespread moral panic caused by the belief that malevolent Satanic witches were operating as an organized threat to Christendom from the 15th to the 18th centuries.

Support of slavery

Nearly all Christian leaders before the late 15th century recognised the institution of slavery, within specific Biblical limitations, as being consistent with Christian theology.

Genesis 9:25–27, the Curse of Ham, says: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem." This verse has been used to justify racialized slavery, since "Christians and even some Muslims eventually identified Ham's descendents as black Africans".

Waco

LDS cult trapping young girls in nasty sexual violence

Christians crusades [All 8]

Wieambilla shooting

Thirty Years War

Nine years war

The Northern Seven Years war

War of Spanish succession

English Civil war

the Jacobite rebellion

The Troubles in Northern Ireland

French persecution of the Huguenots

The expulsion of Jews from Spain & the Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish conquest of the Americas

Colonialism

The Trans-Atlantic slave trade

The Trail of Tears

the Holocaust

The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Witch hunts in Europe and the America

Earlier in the 19th century the Christian Russian Empire systematically purged Muslim Circassians

In Eastern Europe during the early 20th century, the collapse of the Ottoman Empire unleashed a wave of atrocities, and the Balkans became a spectacularly bloody theater. Muslim populations long embedded in homelands were rendered victims of dispossession, displacement, and death as nationalisms rooted in Christian identity surged in places like Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia.

In 1492 after the Reconquista. Religious intolerance soon took force ,Islam was outlawed and conversions to Catholicism were forced, often with the threat of death

Historians generally agree: while the records are unreliable and incomplete, at least tens of thousands of suspected nonconformists were prosecuted by church courts between 1180 and 1450; many thousands were tortured; over a thousand were executed by church authorities. . . . In a seventy-year period starting in 1560, 80,000 women were tried as witches and 40,000 were killed.

the second Klan drew deep from the well of white Protestantism and nationalism. The organization’s fierce religious bigotry and xenophobia appealed to millions of Americans in the 1920s.

Attacks on medical facilities and children's hospitals.

Bosnian Genocide

The Pogroms (1881 – 1884; 1903 – 1906; 1917 -1921) The Pogroms were a series of violent attacks carried out against the Jews by the Christians in Russia and Poland

The Albigensian Crusade, The Albigensian Crusade happened in Southern France and was an effort of the early Church to stamp out a competing ideology — in this case, Catharism. It ran from 1209 to 1229, spanning 20 brutal years. At heart, Catharism was a form of gnosticism, and was labeled a Manichean heresy by the church. It kick-started with the Massacre at Bťziers, where the Church massacred the entire population.

Hypatia was the last librarian at the Library of Alexandria. She incurred the wrath of a Christian Preacher named Peter; one day, on her way to the Library, Peter and a mob of hysterical Christians ambushed her and flayed her alive.

In 6th century pagans were declared void of all rights

In the early fourth century the philosopher Sopatros was executed on demand of Christian authorities

15th century Poland: 1019 churches and 17987 villages plundered by Knights of the Order.

Rwanda Massacres

Catholic terror in Vietnam

1648 Chmielnitzki massacres: In Poland about 200,000 Jews were slain

1391, Seville's Jews killed (Archbishop Martinez leading). 4,000 were slain, 25,000 sold as slaves.

1348 All Jews of Basel/Switzerland and Strasbourg/France (two thousand) burned.

1257, 1267: Jewish communities of London, Canterbury, Northampton, Lincoln, Cambridge, and others exterminated.

Spanish Inquisitor Torquemada alone responsible for 10,220 burnings.

Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons, unwilling to convert to Christianity, beheaded

In 2019, an investigation found 700 victims (many of them children) of alleged sex abuse by leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention

Child Abuse covered up my the Vatican

I could keep going, if you'd like.
    You listed a lot of bad acts done by Christians. Is that Christianity? I would say absolutely not.

Matthew 10:34-36: 34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household."

Are you familiar with the NT? In it, while a sword can certainly mean the physical sword at times, in terms of weaponry for Christians, Ephesians 6 makes it clear that the sword of our armor (which is all defensive except the sword) is The Word. Elsewhere we are told the God's Word is like a two-edged sword so sharp it can even separate soul from spirit.

And the battle Jesus brings to the earth is not of physical violence, but of spiritual warfare. The use of our sword is in spiritual warfare. In His temptations in the desert Jesus responds to the devil quoting The Word (in this case exclusively from the Book of Deuteronomy). THAT is the war we are in, and THAT is the sword we bear.

In terms of physical violence Jesus teaches "turn the other cheek" and if a man steals your tunic, also give him your shirt.

Sure, Christians have behaved in terrible ways over the years. But that isn't what Jesus taught.

If a musician plays Beethoven horribly do you blame Beethoven or the musician?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't mind the ads because they're promoting a positive message.

Whether or not folks want to be part of a congregation or go to church, there shouldn't be a doubt in anyone's mind that our culture in the USA has degraded significantly over the past 20-30 years (maybe more), and a large part of that has mirrored declining values, morals, and ethics.

Those things were derived from religion.

So, I would say those "He Gets Us" ads are better than a lot of other ads like the billions of dollars spent on pharmaceutical ads or another car commercial or something else that is driving towards out of control consumerism.
    The real shift happened in the 60s, I think. But the stage was set before then. We are reaping a whirlwind from that shift.

If you aren't familiar with Oz Guiness (I believe grandson of THE Guiness of the beer) he wrote a book called "A Free People's Suicide." He explains it quite well. Freedom can only exist among a people that have virtue. Virtue will only exist where there is faith. And faith can only flourish where people can freely choose. He called it the Golden Triangle where faith (real faith one chooses for himself) is dependent on freedom (of religion in this case), virtue on the people having some kind of common objective morality that only comes through a common worldview, and freedom from being ruled over only where people are virtuous on their own.

Our Founding Fathers often wrote that our form of government was only suitable for a moral people.