Thread: DEI in Airlines

DEI in Airlines

Do yall feel safe flying in airlines these days with all the DEI policies, Ive heard there has been a lot of incidents recently.

Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

Re: DEI in Airlines

Most major airplanes are automated. The only time a pilot really has to do anything is during takeoff and landing, or if something happens mid-air.

That said, I am anti any practice that places race or gender above demonstrable skills. I'm also strongly against lowering standards to make it easier for lesser-skilled people to get jobs in the name of diversity. Race and gender shouldn't even be part of the conversation. Can this person do the job, or not? Are they qualified to do the job?

What airlines and other highly skilled industries should start doing is similar to what Ozzie Newsome has been doing with the NFL and NFLPA by creating internships (essentially) and career paths for minorities who may not otherwise get involved in the field.

You can't start these initiatives as an adult though, or at least it is increasingly harder to be successful when targeting adults. You have to start these types of initiatives when people are younger, like in high school.

I recently did a careers in cyber security presentation to a couple of high schools and I think in total there were about 80 students that I talked to. Maybe 10 of them were black, and none of them were black females. Yet, the schools that I engaged with had between 20-40% black student populations (across 3 different high schools in Maryland).

What I'm saying is, not everyone wants to go into certain fields, or not everyone thinks about or realizes they have the aptitude to go into certain career fields and that doesn't have anything to do with race or gender. It has everything to do with opening kids' and young adults' eyes to possibilities before they start making serious career decisions in adulthood. That should be where DEI initiatives invest time and energy - high school outreach, counseling, career counseling, internships, etc.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Most major airplanes are automated. The only time a pilot really has to do anything is during takeoff and landing, or if something happens mid-air.

That said, I am anti any practice that places race or gender above demonstrable skills. I'm also strongly against lowering standards to make it easier for lesser-skilled people to get jobs in the name of diversity. Race and gender shouldn't even be part of the conversation. Can this person do the job, or not? Are they qualified to do the job?

What airlines and other highly skilled industries should start doing is similar to what Ozzie Newsome has been doing with the NFL and NFLPA by creating internships (essentially) and career paths for minorities who may not otherwise get involved in the field.

You can't start these initiatives as an adult though, or at least it is increasingly harder to be successful when targeting adults. You have to start these types of initiatives when people are younger, like in high school.

I recently did a careers in cyber security presentation to a couple of high schools and I think in total there were about 80 students that I talked to. Maybe 10 of them were black, and none of them were black females. Yet, the schools that I engaged with had between 20-40% black student populations (across 3 different high schools in Maryland).

What I'm saying is, not everyone wants to go into certain fields, or not everyone thinks about or realizes they have the aptitude to go into certain career fields and that doesn't have anything to do with race or gender. It has everything to do with opening kids' and young adults' eyes to possibilities before they start making serious career decisions in adulthood. That should be where DEI initiatives invest time and energy - high school outreach, counseling, career counseling, internships, etc.
    Those are high priority, though. And despite the current automation (though this will change down the road) pilots still have to make decisions continually. Something as simple as going down the wrong taxiway to and from the runway can have horrific results.

More and more people are becoming uncomfortable with the airline industry

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    More and more people are becoming uncomfortable with the airline industry

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Candace Owen's quote is a bit extreme, but I've got to say, if I am boarding a plane and I see a pilot that looks like Rachel Levine or Sam Brinton, you're damn right I'd be concerned about the competency of the pilot.