Page 5 of 264 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: News/rumors 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    I see what you mean now

I meant trade the first to the second and then the second for the third, etc.... Does that make sense to you now?
    Well makes sense in a hypothetical scenario, but I dont think there is anyway that could actually happen in real life more than like once.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Well makes sense in a hypothetical scenario, but I dont think there is anyway that could actually happen in real life more than like once.
    I think they might be able to get it to work twice as long as they get the exact right teams and they don't ask for too much.

Even if they only get a single 5th round pick by trading with Washington that's still a win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Fields doesn't have to be the worst of 32. The question is, can you win a Super Bowl with him? You don't have to be the best QB in the league to win a SB. But realistically, very very few QBs have been in the bottom third of the league and won a SB. Apart from Dilfer, I can't think of another one off the top of my head. Having a hard time thinking of one who was in the bottom HALF of the league.
    Just some more options, but no argument Dilfer is probably #1

Doug Williams compiled a 69.4 QB rating – 3rd lowest career rating of any QB who's won a Super Bowl. But he had one great day, won a ring, and that can never be taken from him.
    https://www.thesportster.com/footbal...-chicago-bears

Jeff Hostetler not that Hoss was a terrible quarterback, he was just very average for a very long time. If not for being in the right place at the right time – on the Giants' roster when Simms went down – he would have been completely irrelevant.

Joe Namath was a great showman, but a very below average quarterback. And definitely one of the worst to win a Super Bowl. Over his 13 season career (12 with the Jets, and 1 with the Rams), Namath compiled a 62-63-4 record as a starter.

Brad Johnson is a very, very average quarterback. He won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay back in 2002, but that win needs to be credited to the defense who scored just as many points as the offense. Johnson put together a career 72-53
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I think they might be able to get it to work twice as long as they get the exact right teams and they don't ask for too much.

Even if they only get a single 5th round pick by trading with Washington that's still a win.
    See if they can get back their own pick for Sweat, lol

The key is to try to get the extra pick. You don't have to win the JJ points battle, just get more dart throws.

Might not work though, Ozzie refused to tell Dallas who they were going to pick and killed a trade because of it. But you're also going on knowing that the other team really wants a QB likely. They may be OK with it for a relatively small amount of draft capital.
    Only Jerry would of thought we wanted Elliot over Ramsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post

Doug Williams compiled a 69.4 QB rating – 3rd lowest career rating of any QB who's won a Super Bowl. But he had one great day, won a ring, and that can never be taken from him.

Jeff Hostetler not that Hoss was a terrible quarterback, he was just very average for a very long time. If not for being in the right place at the right time – on the Giants' roster when Simms went down – he would have been completely irrelevant.

Joe Namath was a great showman, but a very below average quarterback. And definitely one of the worst to win a Super Bowl. Over his 13 season career (12 with the Jets, and 1 with the Rams), Namath compiled a 62-63-4 record as a starter.

Brad Johnson is a very, very average quarterback. He won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay back in 2002, but that win needs to be credited to the defense who scored just as many points as the offense. Johnson put together a career 72-53
    Good list.

When I say "QB who can win you a SB" I mean get you there AND win it. Any QB can win one game.

Williams and Hostetler were backups. Williams was actually 0-2 as a starter, so I really can't count him. Jay Schroeder and the immortal Ed Rubbert (whoever the hell that is -- I sure don't remember him) won 11 games for the Skins that year.

Hostetler, OTOH, was actually solid. He had started 12 games for the injured and aging Phil Simms the year before, and played about as well as Simms had. Plus he could run. He was 8th in passer rating, but he only threw 5 TDs against 4 picks for a primarily running team. He definitely wasn't a top-10 talent, but he didn't suck either. Let's call him middle-of-the-pack. (And much like Dilfer, that Super Bowl was all running game and defense.)

Namath is way overrated and a complete joke that he's in the Hall. I'll Namath-bash along with anybody. However, in his SB-winning days of 1968, he was one of the best QBs in the league. He was third in yards that season (AFL and NFL combined.) Hard to compare back in those days, because the NFL was so run-based and less risky for QBs, while the AFL was flinging it all over the place. But he was absolutely in the top 3rd of pro QBs that year, even though his contribution to winning the actual Super Bowl game was minimal.

Johnson was also one of the better QBs in the league at the time. Third in passer rating, only threw six picks for a team led by its defense. He was definitely above-average, probably at least top quarter of the league.

I'll add one more name to your list: Mark Rypien. That guy tore the league up, won the Super Bowl, dominated all teams, and my personal hot take is that he was a marginally better talent than Kyle Boller. There were Pro Bowlers and All Pros all over that offense. He played behind one of the best lines ever assembled. As soon as that embarrassment of talent was gone, he suddenly couldn't play football anymore. So yeah, I think Justin Fields could win you a Super Bowl -- if you could reincarnate the 1991 Redskins offense around him.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Steelers?
    He can take Mitch's old locker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post

Nick Foles. That wasn't that long ago

Blog Entries

Atlanta
    Hires Harbaugh, trades for Fields (start with a third), he's got his mobile QB for two years under rookie deal, and assuming they were just mismanaged and can be ressurected he has his franchise RB, franchise TE and his first round pick. Doesn't have to give up draft capital.

He's ready to roll immediately in an incredibly weak Division.

That's who.
    I've been thinking about this even more since I posted it when they said Blank REALLY wants Belichick for the Falcons.

I think Jim Harbaugh would be even more sweet for them

To the above they also have a WR1 in Olave

They could rebuild their O-line and defense

It's set up on a tee for Jim

That's before they consider bringing in Roman to design the run game (don't make him OC, but even if they do they will wreck their division with Bijan and Fields, wreck it!).

He can even have Wink as an option which would destroy their opponents for the first year (then downhill). Or bring his Michigan DC with him.

Harbaugh is a running and play defense coach, just like our Harbechler. They will be top of their division minimum. Ravens South.

FFS the Bears could even keep Fields and bring in Harbaugh but it sounds like the Bears are the Bears and are going to keep Eberflus and continue to destroy quarterbacks. I guess they need to hush up the FBI investigation and the best way to keep Eberflus quite is to continue to let him coach.

Still waiting for the "we will know everything in two weeks" we still don't know what transpired there. Except it was really strange and there has been nothing to come out since it happened...

Anyway Falcons would be smart to hire Harbaugh, trade for Fields even if Harbaugh wanted to bring Roman as OC instead of paying him a kings ransom just to design and implement the running game.

Fields
    Bijan
    Pitts
    Olave

Run the stuffing out of the ball

I bet John Reglarperson would endorse this plan

I've been thinking about this even more since I posted it when they said Blank REALLY wants Belichick for the Falcons.

I think Jim Harbaugh would be even more sweet for them

To the above they also have a WR1 in Olave

They could rebuild their O-line and defense

It's set up on a tee for Jim

That's before they consider bringing in Roman to design the run game (don't make him OC, but even if they do they will wreck their division with Bijan and Fields, wreck it!).

He can even have Wink as an option which would destroy their opponents for the first year (then downhill). Or bring his Michigan DC with him.

Harbaugh is a running and play defense coach, just like our Harbechler. They will be top of their division minimum. Ravens South.

FFS the Bears could even keep Fields and bring in Harbaugh but it sounds like the Bears are the Bears and are going to keep Eberflus and continue to destroy quarterbacks. I guess they need to hush up the FBI investigation and the best way to keep Eberflus quite is to continue to let him coach.

Still waiting for the "we will know everything in two weeks" we still don't know what transpired there. Except it was really strange and there has been nothing to come out since it happened...

Anyway Falcons would be smart to hire Harbaugh, trade for Fields even if Harbaugh wanted to bring Roman as OC instead of paying him a kings ransom just to design and implement the running game.

Fields
    Bijan
    Pitts
    Olave

Run the stuffing out of the ball

I bet John Reglarperson would endorse this plan
    I would endorse it if Olave played for the Falcons

That list creates a talking point but it looks pretty questionable to me. Particularly with Bradshaw, Stabler and Namath - three QBs who may not be as good as some think but aren't bottom ten on this list. I think the writer is putting the wrong standards on 70s passing games. He also seems to have conveniently forgotten about the AFL.

If we're talking careers, which I think is what this guy is saying, putting Jim Plunkett above Ken Stabler is a doo-doo take. Also as noted Mark Rypien and Nick Foles aren't there. Rypien had 2.5 really good seasons and that was it.

My take:

10. Phil Simms
    9. Joe Theismann
    8. Jim McMahon
    7. Brad Johnson
    6. Mark Rypien
    5. Jim Plunkett
    4. Jeff Hostetler
    3. Doug Williams
    2. Nick Foles
    1. Trent Dilfer

Just missed: Namath, Stabler, Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So your answer is to lose with what you know instead of losing with something new you dont know.
    Yes. And use the opportunity of extra picks and picking at the top of every round to draft BPA at every other position of need. No guarantees on the guys they pick, but it's usually easier to nail down the best 2 LTs or the best 2 DEs in a draft than it is to figure out the best 2 QBs.