Page 172 of 231 FirstFirst ... 170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 2,053 to 2,064 of 2764

Re: News/rumors 2024

Maybe it's not statistically true across all drafts, but I feel like there are definitely "bad" QB drafts. I was theorizing that, when you need a QB you are going to look hard at all the top choices and naturally compare them against one another. When the bar is low, maybe it's easy to be fooled by a guy you convince yourself is better than then next three available QBs...so he must be a good player, right?

To wit...

2007: JaMarcus Russell (No. 1), Brady Quinn (No. 22), Kevin Kolb (No. 36), John Beck (No. 40), Drew Stanton (No. 43), Trent Edwards (No. 92), Matt Moore (undrafted)

2013: EJ Manuel (No. 16), Geno Smith (No. 39), Mike Glennon (No. 73), Matt Barkley (No. 98), Landry Jones (No. 115)

2014: Blake Bortles (No. 3), Johnny Manziel (No. 22),Teddy Bridgewater (No. 32), Derek Carr (No. 36), Jimmy Garoppolo (No. 62) , Logan Thomas (No. 120) ,Tom Savage (No. 135), Aaron Murray (No. 163), A. J. McCarron (No. 164)

OTOH, there are good QB drafts...

2004: Eli Manning (No. 1), Philip Rivers (No. 4), Ben Roethlisberger (No. 11), J.P. Losman (No. 22), Matt Schaub (No. 90)

2012: Andrew Luck (No. 1), Robert Griffin III (No. 2), Ryan Tannehill (No. 8), Brock Osweiler (No. 57), Russell Wilson (No. 75), Nick Foles (No. 88), Kirk Cousins (No. 102)

2020: Joe Burrow (No. 1), Tua Tagovailoa (No. 5), Justin Herbert (No. 6), Jordan Love (No. 26), Jalen Hurts (No. 53)

What stands out to me with these examples is that the second QB didn't come off the board until much later. Like, you could have or should have known it was going to be a bad draft for QBs. Whereas with better QB drafts you're seeing three come off the board in the top eleven here. And still some good ones left on day two.

If this is at all predictive you would expect '24 to be a pretty good QB class if they all go where expected. And probably a good one taken later, like Rattler? Penix?

Of course they all are not this skewed. Look at 2018:

Baker Mayfield (No. 1), Sam Darnold (No. 3), Josh Allen (No. 7), Josh Rosen (No. 10), Lamar Jackson (No. 32), Mason Rudolph (No. 76)

Two great picks. Three poor choices. One enigma that was certainly not worth the pick. It's entirely possible that 2024 looks more like 2018 in the end, with a couple really good QBs and some stinkers. Feels that way to me.

By the way, the 2008 class had Ryan and Flacco, and then a whole lot of nothing burgers. Makes me appreciate how the Ravens managed to navigate the landmines in the '08 and '18 drafts to find good QBs.
    "That's what."
    She

For the 2013 draft (Manuel & friends) and the 2022 draft (Pickett & friends) people knew going in they were weak at QB, and for the most part it's been proven true. Kudos to Geno Smith for his renaissance, and Brock Purdy for being the best Mr. Irrelevant ever. It's quite remarkable how good the 2022 draft was in spite of being a weak QB class.

I agree that when you have a draft with a lot of QB picks going at the top, history suggests a number of them are going to hit. One should expect a couple not to. 2020 is the anomaly in that every QB taken early is at least good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I don't like the bird staring out the sides.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I don't like the bird staring out the sides.
    Agree, logo sucks, but I love the colors.

Just the shield would be sweet.

I've seen that and have my doubts. As a photoshop guy, don't you agree this is pretty quickly slapped together, particularly the way the logo appears flat and floating over the vent holes? The visor is pretty fake. If this was a real proposed helmet, don't you think it would be a photo of something real?
    "That's what."
    She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Maybe it's not statistically true across all drafts, but I feel like there are definitely "bad" QB drafts. I was theorizing that, when you need a QB you are going to look hard at all the top choices and naturally compare them against one another. When the bar is low, maybe it's easy to be fooled by a guy you convince yourself is better than then next three available QBs...so he must be a good player, right?

To wit...

2007: JaMarcus Russell (No. 1), Brady Quinn (No. 22), Kevin Kolb (No. 36), John Beck (No. 40), Drew Stanton (No. 43), Trent Edwards (No. 92), Matt Moore (undrafted)

2013: EJ Manuel (No. 16), Geno Smith (No. 39), Mike Glennon (No. 73), Matt Barkley (No. 98), Landry Jones (No. 115)

2014: Blake Bortles (No. 3), Johnny Manziel (No. 22),Teddy Bridgewater (No. 32), Derek Carr (No. 36), Jimmy Garoppolo (No. 62) , Logan Thomas (No. 120) ,Tom Savage (No. 135), Aaron Murray (No. 163), A. J. McCarron (No. 164)

OTOH, there are good QB drafts...

2004: Eli Manning (No. 1), Philip Rivers (No. 4), Ben Roethlisberger (No. 11), J.P. Losman (No. 22), Matt Schaub (No. 90)

2012: Andrew Luck (No. 1), Robert Griffin III (No. 2), Ryan Tannehill (No. 8), Brock Osweiler (No. 57), Russell Wilson (No. 75), Nick Foles (No. 88), Kirk Cousins (No. 102)

2020: Joe Burrow (No. 1), Tua Tagovailoa (No. 5), Justin Herbert (No. 6), Jordan Love (No. 26), Jalen Hurts (No. 53)

What stands out to me with these examples is that the second QB didn't come off the board until much later. Like, you could have or should have known it was going to be a bad draft for QBs. Whereas with better QB drafts you're seeing three come off the board in the top eleven here. And still some good ones left on day two.

If this is at all predictive you would expect '24 to be a pretty good QB class if they all go where expected. And probably a good one taken later, like Rattler? Penix?

Of course they all are not this skewed. Look at 2018:

Baker Mayfield (No. 1), Sam Darnold (No. 3), Josh Allen (No. 7), Josh Rosen (No. 10), Lamar Jackson (No. 32), Mason Rudolph (No. 76)

Two great picks. Three poor choices. One enigma that was certainly not worth the pick. It's entirely possible that 2024 looks more like 2018 in the end, with a couple really good QBs and some stinkers. Feels that way to me.

By the way, the 2008 class had Ryan and Flacco, and then a whole lot of nothing burgers. Makes me appreciate how the Ravens managed to navigate the landmines in the '08 and '18 drafts to find good QBs.
    Speaking of the Ravens and QB drafts...
    For as bad as our Boller pick was, looked at a different way, they arguably did get it "right" based on the other QBs drafted that year, lol. Super low bar, yes, but 13 QBs got drafted and Boller had one of the longest and best careers of all of them.

Carson Palmer was the clear franchise guy.
    Leftwich never stayed healthy.
    Rex Grossman did play in a SB though.

That's the top 4 guys - not sure Billick would have done better with Grossman than he did with Boller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I've seen that and have my doubts. As a photoshop guy, don't you agree this is pretty quickly slapped together, particularly the way the logo appears flat and floating over the vent holes? The visor is pretty fake. If this was a real proposed helmet, don't you think it would be a photo of something real?
    and it's vikings purple

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    They're going to sell a lot of merch with that logo. I saw the owner wearing a hat with the H last week

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

They should hire Captain Silver to come up with an alternative helmet. We saw the incredible work he did on the avatars on this board. His designs would be much better than any of the alts that have floated around