Page 1 of 30 123 ... LastLast

Coachwatch 2023

I do this every year.

Ron Rivera looks vulnerable in DC, esp after the big T-Day loss. another victim of not having a good / reliable QB.
    (Rivera, or somebody, fired Jack Del Rio after that game. shedding coordinators is usually a bad sign.)

speaking of Thanksgiving weekend losses, the Jets looked pretty bad. how much difference would a healthy Aaron Rogers have made? I think they make a change.

NYGints looking like a mess too.

how about the Unthinkable; would the NEPs part with Belichik? they might convince him to 'retire' to save some pride.
    (I don't think he ever won a playoff game without Brady; will that be his legacy?)

who else?
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Re: Coachwatch 2023

Hopefully Staley is on a banana peel tomorrow at 11:30pm.

Washington has lots of problems but I would say Howell is far down on their list of worries. He's leading the league in passing yards for whatever that's worth

Quote Originally Posted by rook View Post
    Washington has lots of problems but I would say Howell is far down on their list of worries. He's leading the league in passing yards for whatever that's worth
    wow, I had no idea.
    what's wrong with them then? Defense collapse?
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    wow, I had no idea.
    Their defense is among the worst. I believe they were dead last in defensive DVOA and that was BEFORE the Thanksgiving Day game lol

But beyond that, I think the problem really is Rivera (and by extension JDR). They have/had good talent but just seems like they are not responding to the coaching and playing well below their level

Blog Entries

The Redskins took an already mediocre defense and traded away two of their best defensive starters.

Ron Rivera is likely out after this season. Maybe they give Bienemy a bump? Sam Howell has played pretty well this year. Their OL is trash as well.

I don’t think the Pats will get rid of Belichick. I think they’ll trade Mac Jones and draft another guy. They’ll be picking high enough to land some good players.

I think the Jets will can Saleh. Aaron Rodgers will pick the next guy. If the Cowboys part ways with McCarthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him as the HC with the Jets.

Eberflus is likely out in Chicago.

Dennis Allen should be out in New Orleans. He’s terrible as a HC.

Todd Bowles and Frank Reich could also be on the hot seat.

Staley is definitely gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

wow, I had no idea.
    Forbes hasn’t been good.
    Howell has thrown 13 ints and is on pace for record (near record) 79 sacks.

His good stats are accompanied by some exciting playmaking and bad decision-making and game scripts.

They don't look like a team that plays complementary football.

how about the Unthinkable; would the NEPs part with Belichik? they might convince him to 'retire' to save some pride.
    An option I like with Belichick is to bring in a good GM and overhaul the scouting dept. That would acknowledge Belichick's status as one of the all-time great coaches, while letting the Pats build a(nother) good roster. Without Navy guys and former lacrosse players.

(I don't think he ever won a playoff game without Brady; will that be his legacy?)
    Belichick's Browns win a playoff game in the 1994 postseason with Vinny at QB. Brady was 17.

Bill Walsh never won a playoff game without Montana (I think?).
    Vince Lombardi didn't without Bart Starr.
    That's really common for coaches whose legacy is tied to a single franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    An option I like with Belichick is to bring in a good GM and overhaul the scouting dept. That would acknowledge Belichick's status as one of the all-time great coaches, while letting the Pats build a(nother) good roster. Without Navy guys and former lacrosse players.

Belichick's Browns win a playoff game in the 1994 postseason with Vinny at QB. Brady was 17.

Bill Walsh never won a playoff game without Montana (I think?).
    Vince Lombardi didn't without Bart Starr.
    That's really common for coaches whose legacy is tied to a single franchise.
    Is Ozzie Newsome the only GM to build two Super Bowl winners with completely different qb’s ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Bird View Post
    Is Ozzie Newsome the only GM to build two Super Bowl winners with completely different qb’s ?
    No. Bobby Bethard of the Redskins also built 2 with different QBs Joe Theismann and Doug Williams. Al Davis was the owner/GM of the Raiders and won with Ken Stabler and Jim Plunkett but we all know he had lots of help as GM and it wasn't the same as a team with non owner GM

We saw in preseason how bad the Commanders o-line was. They were marginally competitive against our 2nd string guys. On defense, their 1st-round pick d-line underperformed, and their secondary is a dumpster fire. Rivera, as de facto GM, is really bad. The team is still suffering from a Snyder hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No. Bobby Bethard of the Redskins also built 2 with different QBs Joe Theismann and Doug Williams. Al Davis was the owner/GM of the Raiders and won with Ken Stabler and Jim Plunkett but we all know he had lots of help as GM and it wasn't the same as a team with non owner GM
    as I recall DC won three SBs with three different QBs (Theisman, Williams, and I think Rypien).
    Landry and Shula won multiple SBs but only with Staubach and Greise. ditto Noll and Bradshaw.
    Harbs would have a place in history if he can win one with Lamar.