Tucker's missed FG won us the game... Maybe?

In a strange way, I think that the Tucker missed FG actually helped us win the game. If we would have gone up by 6, McDonald might have not sent the pressure on the next drive. The Ravens just needed to prevent a TD, so Mike might have gone conservative with a 4 man rush and drop back into zone. How many times have we've seen that before with the other team going straight down the field on a last drive. By the time they get to the red zone, the Defense is gassed after a long drive and 58-59mins of football. The Ravens redzone defense at the point isn't remotely as effective as earlier in the game when they are fresh. McDonald sent the pressure only being up by 3.

Coaches that are up in the game fail to understand that going conservative tires out the Defense with these lengthy dink and dunk drives. Your effectiveness in late 4Q red zone defense goes way down with a gassed team. It's why the Prevent Defense prevents you from winning. If the Ravens are up by 10pts beginning of 4Q... Blitz!! The opponent is up against the ropes. Throw the knock out blow. Not the easily telegraphed Wink Martindale slot corner is coming so throw to that open vacated area blitz, but a nicely disguised McDonald pressure like we saw with Maulet on Sunday.

Blog Entries

Re: Tucker's missed FG won us the game... Maybe?

Thatís a good thought and you see it all the time. Dcís will drop more back and refuse to possibly give up a big play over the top that loses it. Many like to play bend donít break.

On another note, how bout them HokiesÖ hoping for military bowl. Itíll be super easy to get to for myself and many tech fans

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore35 View Post
    On another note, how bout them Hokies… hoping for military bowl. It’ll be super easy to get to for myself and many tech fans
    Nice dominating victory over our 'rivals'.. even though the other team needs to win a few games for it to be a true rivalry. Yea Military bowl would be great for us MD Hokies. I'd like to somehow play the Terps again and try to make up for that embarrassing Pinstripe bowl game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Nice dominating victory over our 'rivals'.. even though the other team needs to win a few games for it to be a true rivalry. Yea Military bowl would be great for us MD Hokies. I'd like to somehow play the Terps again and try to make up for that embarrassing Pinstripe bowl game.
    Yeah I donít see us playing them unfortunately. 2026 when that 4 game series starts weíre taking over college park
    God, Family, Country, Orioles Baseball, Ravens Football

It's true, I mentioned it to my wife at the time. It's hard to stop teams when they are in 4-down mode. Being up only three, if they get to 4th down in FG range, they are going to try the kick to tie it up. But if they were down 6, they'd have to go for it.

Plus, being up six... it just fit this season's script too well. Some stupid pass interference call or something, and the Chargers score the TD. Then we get the ball with 37 seconds left and Lamar gets strip-sacked. Seen that movie too many times.
    "Chin up, chest out."

This is the kind of what-if analysis I like... I agree 100%. Great post OP!

Quote Originally Posted by KingPurple View Post
    This is the kind of what-if analysis I like... I agree 100%. Great post OP!
    It's a excellent post. I saw that as well. I was disappointed with the miss. But it change how we played defense. Reminded me of last years Bills game.

I agree with the OP. I had a discussion about this last season with a fan, and we decided in some ways it is better to be protecting that 1-to-3 point lead late than a 4-to-6 point lead, which gives the D a (false) sense of confidence and, as noted, puts the DC in Prevent mode instead of stop-them-at-all-costs mode.

Deep down, JT knew this; he's seen the collapses this year, so he shanked it left on purpose! OK, not really, but I do think it ended up working out to the Ravens' benefit.

Blog Entries

The Chargers weren't scoring a TD no matter what the score was. They weren't in FG range so they were in 4 down mode. They couldn't even get to the Ravens 45 to give their kicker an outside chance, and that was just for the tie.