Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    McDonald knows he can get a head coaching job down the line.... He's not going to take it from a crap team...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    No one knows that. One day you're the hot name and then next year you lose a few of your top guys to injury or FA, your defense takes a dip, and you're old news. These jobs are so volatile.

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

In addition to the question of whether Mac himself WANTS to be a head coach....what traits does he have that scream he'd even be a good one? I would imagine he should spend at least a year as an assistant head coach under Harbs just to get exposure to all the other shit that goes into being the head guy besides running the defense. Take a look at the last young defensive whiz kid over in LA. Staley is clearly in over his head and doubling down and only really focusing on the side of the ball he's supposed to know isn't making THE TEAM any better.

Teams are looking for the young offensive guys to be head coaches more than defense. If you want to talk about how you like me now defense look at the Bengals coordinator whoís been a candidate for a couple of years. Didnít look too good last week.

Blog Entries

Just like every other Raven who has gotten a head coaching job you wish him good luck and keep in touch. That's all you can do. Harbaugh is not getting pushed aside for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    In addition to the question of whether Mac himself WANTS to be a head coach....what traits does he have that scream he'd even be a good one? I would imagine he should spend at least a year as an assistant head coach under Harbs just to get exposure to all the other shit that goes into being the head guy besides running the defense. Take a look at the last young defensive whiz kid over in LA. Staley is clearly in over his head and doubling down and only really focusing on the side of the ball he's supposed to know isn't making THE TEAM any better.
    Heís been on the Ravens staff since 2014 except for the Michigan year. Working under the other Harbaugh is also something that could be viewed as very good experience. He did a good job there also. I donít know if he can be the leader of a team but after almost a decade working for the Harbaughs and getting promotions- Iím sure that means something positive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Teams are looking for the young offensive guys to be head coaches more than defense. If you want to talk about how you like me now defense look at the Bengals coordinator whoís been a candidate for a couple of years. Didnít look too good last week.
    This is why assistant coaches take a HC job when offered. Second chances arenít guaranteed. A HC gig even from one of those crap teams is still an NFL promotion over an AC for a premier team. Of course age, career ambitions, and other personal variables apply.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Heís been on the Ravens staff since 2014 except for the Michigan year. Working under the other Harbaugh is also something that could be viewed as very good experience. He did a good job there also. I donít know if he can be the leader of a team but after almost a decade working for the Harbaughs and getting promotions- Iím sure that means something positive.
    The Harbaughís have a coaching limb?

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I had the same thought. If MM wants to stay and doesn't think he's ready for a HC job, the owner could make him coach in waiting, and make it worth his while.

For the GM job, this deal was done by the owner after Ozzie had made it clear he planned to retire. We don't know if Harbaugh has indicated the same. MM would presumably want some sense of timeframe before agreeing to a similar deal.

The other question is whether the team really deems MM as the heir apparent HC? I think it's fair to say they would prefer to keep him as DC, no doubt, but that doesn't mean they're willing to guarantee him the future HC job in order to keep him as DC. Just because he's a great DC doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a great HC. Plenty of great coordinators have not proven to be great HC's. And some great HC's were never OCs or DCs. Belichick and Harbaugh being examples. Hell, Mike Tomlin was only a DC for one year in Minn. before the Steelers tapped him as HC, and his DC resume was a little kooky (Vikings were first against the run and last against the pass).

Anyway, I think the head coach job requires a lot more intangible qualities outside being a great offensive or defensive play caller. Maybe Macdonald has those qualities, but my read is that he doesn't quite command the room yet and could use a few more years at his current level to get there.
    Belichick was DC of the Giants for six years and two Super Bowl wins before getting the Cleveland HC job.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I had the same thought. If MM wants to stay and doesn't think he's ready for a HC job, the owner could make him coach in waiting, and make it worth his while.

For the GM job, this deal was done by the owner after Ozzie had made it clear he planned to retire. We don't know if Harbaugh has indicated the same. MM would presumably want some sense of timeframe before agreeing to a similar deal.

The other question is whether the team really deems MM as the heir apparent HC? I think it's fair to say they would prefer to keep him as DC, no doubt, but that doesn't mean they're willing to guarantee him the future HC job in order to keep him as DC. Just because he's a great DC doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a great HC. Plenty of great coordinators have not proven to be great HC's. And some great HC's were never OCs or DCs. Belichick and Harbaugh being examples. Hell, Mike Tomlin was only a DC for one year in Minn. before the Steelers tapped him as HC, and his DC resume was a little kooky (Vikings were first against the run and last against the pass).

Anyway, I think the head coach job requires a lot more intangible qualities outside being a great offensive or defensive play caller. Maybe Macdonald has those qualities, but my read is that he doesn't quite command the room yet and could use a few more years at his current level to get there.
    So far we can assume Mike Mac is a very good to great DC and IMO you ideally want to keep that guy at that position but I fear we have a Peter Principle in the making here.

But agree the first thing in this succession plan is to make sure what Harbaugh has in mind because, barring a terrible season with a healthy team, he is leaving under his own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    If and when Mac goes, is Weaver his successor?

https://twitter.com/sgellison/status...580711539?s=19

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
    I suspect Weaver is as much if not higher thought of than Mike Mac as far as skills required for a HC job. Based on absolutely nothing, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    And this. Some team will come calling with a HC job because they don't have a DC, let alone a HC and nobody would move laterally from Baltimore to a dumpster fire org.

Is Mike Mac good and/or interested at the CEO/management stuff required of a HC?
    It ain't pretty, but it's us.
    AND I'M HERE FOR IT ALL, BABY.

We were getting healthier...

Blog Entries

You donít stop that move as a matter of fact as a leader you encourage this because this means youíre doing your job as a leader of leaders. But this defense was not that good until Roquan came in.

Same way Jerruh Jones kept Jason Garrett from accepting the Ravens HC job in 2008.

Blog Entries

He’s a defensive coach the nfl is pushing for offensive minded coaches to pair with young qbs. Look at how many of the defensive coaches will be fired this year. Off the top of my head Hoodie Staley Eberflous mcDermi Rivera. They will all be replaced by more offensive minded coaches