Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    The only way to prevent a coach from an HC gig is to pay him more than the HC gig and promise the coach the HC job in the future, which only Jerry Jones had done to ill effect.
    IMO you'd have to pay him TOP $ as DC, tell Harbaugh he has X number of years left, then promise him the HC job. I don't see that happening.

You need a young defensive coach, working/learning under Macdonald, groomed to be our next DC... Bc

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

One year Byron Leftwich is a coaching candidate, the next year heís fired. I like the idea of grooming someone for years as much as anyone else, but if teams come calling he needs to go to the interviews. No guarantee heíll be the in demand guy again if he waits.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    One year Byron Leftwich is a coaching candidate, the next year he’s fired. I like the idea of grooming someone for years as much as anyone else, but if teams come calling he needs to go to the interviews. No guarantee he’ll be the in demand guy again if he waits.
    Exactly. No one has really done that head coach in waiting thing at the NFL level because there are only 30 jobs and you don't have that many opportunities to take them. They should try it out but I doubt he goes for it.

Blog Entries

You pay him more than a team will pay him to be a HC and make clear that he will be the HC after Harbaugh. Will they do that?
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Anybody know if he has any minority ancestors back 6 or 7 generations, he has that Native American look, maybe we could get 2 3rd round picks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Biscotti can do the same thing he did with EDC. Pay him like a GM and assure him he is the transition plan.
    I had the same thought. If MM wants to stay and doesn't think he's ready for a HC job, the owner could make him coach in waiting, and make it worth his while.

For the GM job, this deal was done by the owner after Ozzie had made it clear he planned to retire. We don't know if Harbaugh has indicated the same. MM would presumably want some sense of timeframe before agreeing to a similar deal.

The other question is whether the team really deems MM as the heir apparent HC? I think it's fair to say they would prefer to keep him as DC, no doubt, but that doesn't mean they're willing to guarantee him the future HC job in order to keep him as DC. Just because he's a great DC doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a great HC. Plenty of great coordinators have not proven to be great HC's. And some great HC's were never OCs or DCs. Belichick and Harbaugh being examples. Hell, Mike Tomlin was only a DC for one year in Minn. before the Steelers tapped him as HC, and his DC resume was a little kooky (Vikings were first against the run and last against the pass).

Anyway, I think the head coach job requires a lot more intangible qualities outside being a great offensive or defensive play caller. Maybe Macdonald has those qualities, but my read is that he doesn't quite command the room yet and could use a few more years at his current level to get there.
    "That's what."
    ó She

Blog Entries

If Mac get a HC offer, more power to him and wish him well.
    But raise his salary before he goes so the bidwells don't underbidwell

If we win the SB, I expect to see raids on every level of the org from coaches to scouts to players
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

McDonald knows he can get a head coaching job down the line.... He's not going to take it from a crap team...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Look at the jobs likely to open up. Washington, Carolina, Vegas, Bears and what other cluster FU? Every team has major flaws. If you don’t have a franchise qb you can not win in the NFL. None of those teams have a qb. Carolina has almost zero talent of offense. Washington is a full rebuild. Vegas is broke. The Bears have a bad qb you must move on from immediately. You are looking at taking over a five win or less team, devoid of talent, owned by a billionaire who wants immediate success and almost nothing in personal to build off.

Yes you can get a head coaching job but these days you get fired in 2-3 years with a 5 year contract. It takes four to five year to rebuild a team, with a good GM. It is impossible without a good Gzm. Mac will look as much at the GM and owner as the players and division. There maybe only 32 jobs but picking the wrong one will only get you fired and labeled a bust. You get to bust twice and then you are damaged goods, never to get another chance. It takes a team off the field to build a team on the field and matching the right GM to Coach is vital. Bad owner kills any job. Bad GM one the way out kills you as the next GM will want his Coach. Going into a tough division sucks. AFCS is much better than AFCN. Who wants to coach for second place?

Blog Entries

Maybe Chuck Smith aka Dr Rush could be the guy

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I feel like he has to be Harbaughís successor in waiting, they cannot allow him to LEAVE. They just canít. I canít imagine Harbaugh will want coach forever, they have to have some type of succession plan in place.

Edit - mods please fix - it should say *for* a head coaching opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just replace him with the kid who's running Jim Harbaugh's defense in Michigan - except Jim will probably take him to Chicago when he becomes the Bears head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Look at the jobs likely to open up. Washington, Carolina, Vegas, Bears and what other cluster FU? Every team has major flaws. If you don’t have a franchise qb you can not win in the NFL. None of those teams have a qb. Carolina has almost zero talent of offense. Washington is a full rebuild. Vegas is broke. The Bears have a bad qb you must move on from immediately. You are looking at taking over a five win or less team, devoid of talent, owned by a billionaire who wants immediate success and almost nothing in personal to build off.

Yes you can get a head coaching job but these days you get fired in 2-3 years with a 5 year contract. It takes four to five year to rebuild a team, with a good GM. It is impossible without a good Gzm. Mac will look as much at the GM and owner as the players and division. Theyíre maybe only 32 jobs but picking the wrong one will only get you fired and labeled a bust. You get to bust twice and then you are damaged goods, never to get another chance. It takes a team off the field to build a team on the field and matching the right GM to Coach is vital. Bad owner kills any job. Bad GM one the way out kills you as the next GM will want his Coach. Going into a tough division sucks. AFCS is much better than AFCN. Who wants to coach for second place?
    If an NFL coach thought like this, nobody would hire him to be a NFL coach. Just completely defeatist, most candidates would have a plan that they believe in- and you sell the team your idea of how to fix something that is broken. There is always a challenge involved with this, an extremely large one. Very few get set up with posh circumstances on day 1. You donít take a job telling yourself you will be fired.