Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast

Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

I feel like he has to be Harbaughís successor in waiting, they cannot allow him to LEAVE. They just canít. I canít imagine Harbaugh will want coach forever, they have to have some type of succession plan in place.

Edit - mods please fix - it should say *for* a head coaching opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving from a HC opportunity?

You don't. We don't know if he has the requisite skills to be a successful Head Coach in the league. Being a great coordinator is a different animal, and unless they're really sure Mike Mac is that guy, you don't put a succession plan in place a la Ozzie to EDC. If Mike Mac gets a head coaching offer, congrats good luck you deserve it.

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving from a HC opportunity?

No difference than all the other great DC's that came and gone with the Ravens. Let him go if the opportunity presents itself. Can't hold any coach back

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

Harbaugh would never keep an assistant from a HC offer. Like Billick, it's a draw to hot coaching prospects that our guys go on to be head coaches. So we can expect to get the best talent in our pipeline. It's what you want.

Harbaugh just needs to ensure that MacDonald's successor is in the building.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Re: Realistically, how do the Ravens keep Macdonald from leaving for a HC opportunity?

We donít even know if he wants to be a HC. Give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Harbaugh just needs to ensure that MacDonald's successor is in the building.
    And I think we have him in Weaver

Gotta keep him

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post

Gotta keep him

Eh coaches aren't players. You don't have the systems in place to retain them. And trying to force coaches to stay, besides not working, is a really bad look for an org

To be clear: if I could lock Mike Mac into the DC role for a guaranteed five years right now I would do it, you just can't really do that in the NFL. Great coordinators like Reich, Staley, McDaniels, etc get Head Coaching shots and fuck it up every year. Just because MacDonald goes doesn't mean he'll be gone forever

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    To be clear: if I could lock Mike Mac into the DC role for a guaranteed five years right now I would do it, you just can't really do that in the NFL. Great coordinators like Reich, Staley, McDaniels, etc get Head Coaching shots and fuck it up every year. Just because MacDonald goes doesn't mean he'll be gone forever
    Why on earth would he sign a 5 year deal? You know how many opportunities would be missed in those 5 years. No way I would sign that contract

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    Why on earth would he sign a 5 year deal? You know how many opportunities would be missed in those 5 years. No way I would sign that contract
    I'm not saying he would, I'm using it to demonstrate that I'm not anti Mike Mac, I love him and want him here long term despite my other comments in the thread

Defense wasn’t good until Roquan got here. Maybe he should be head coach in waiting.