Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: We Need To Stop Crying About the Offense

I think it's quite legitimate that we continue to cry about the offence 30 pts a game or not. They are still wildly inconsistent, clunky as Kurt Warner said some weeks ago. Some of the same issues that we saw at the start of the season are still with us. They have a lot of work to do to become a well oiled machine over 60 minutes.

What’s our offensive identity?

The offense has been hot and cold, but man when it's been hot it's been hot. I think it's fair to talk about the cold. We can be happy that we won and at the same time talk about the way that the now Andrewsless offense looked last night. It's not gonna cut it in the playoffs, luckily we have a bye week here to do some soul searching. Let's learn from the hot and the cold weeks and start peaking at the right times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Part of me wants to believe they were just sluggish, tired, and ready for the bye. I mean, we put up 30 points for 5 straight games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    5 straight games over 30 points and then a left coast win with 20. they had a rough second half but got the W, no issues here.
    That's mostly where I am. A team with some older / brittle guys at key spots (Stanley, Odell); a team that has slogged thru a very difficult schedule, esp with travel.

I saw some reports this week that a few players were battling illness. Around the Arizona & Seahawk games, I noticed that Harbs and Monken sounded like shit in press conferences: sniffles, scratchy voices (even moreso than usual for Monken), etc. I think this whole group, roster and staff, badly needs a week off.

The Ravens offense ranks:
    7th in points per drive
    6th in scoring pctg per drive
    3rd in Red Zone TD%
    4th in DVOA

According to DVOA the Ravens faced the league's toughest slate of opposing defenses over the first 10 or 11 weeks. They're doing okay.

My primary concerns after the bye will be:
    • Pass-pro, esp from the OTs
    • Connecting on deep balls when guys get a step for bombs

Secondary concerns:
    • Keaton Mitchell's workload (can he be an every-down guy at his size/build?)
    • TE rotation
    • Lamar connecting with Bateman; seems he either short-arms him or overthrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    5 straight games over 30 points and then a left coast win with 20. they had a rough second half but got the W, no issues here.
    Offense only scored 23 against the Browns, and 7 of those were on a drive that started at the Browns' 12.

They're inconsistent, and they frequently don't do well in the 2nd half. Moncken needs to come up with solutions that work with good skill position players and a shaky O-line.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Main stat failure for the offense is 3rd down...they have gotten quite a few chunk plays seemingly every game, but too often when we need conversions, we are failing on 3rd down.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Main stat failure for the offense is 3rd down...they have gotten quite a few chunk plays seemingly every game, but too often when we need conversions, we are failing on 3rd down.
    36% on third down in the last 3
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    36% on third down in the last 3
    Yeah that isn't acceptable...feels like when we are in 3rd down we too often are looking for 20 yard chunks instead of getting the ball out and letting guys make plays.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Other than 2019, we've been complaining about the offense since forever. I think we have the personnel to be much more dynamic than we are. We don't have coaches who can adjust on the fly or design schemes specifically for certain opponents. I don't ever get the feeling that we really have any type of coherent plan heading into games outside of running a bunch of scripted plays that may or may not be appropriate at the time they are run. After that, it's "hope for the best".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That's mostly where I am. A team with some older / brittle guys at key spots (Stanley, Odell); a team that has slogged thru a very difficult schedule, esp with travel.

I saw some reports this week that a few players were battling illness. Around the Arizona & Seahawk games, I noticed that Harbs and Monken sounded like shit in press conferences: sniffles, scratchy voices (even moreso than usual for Monken), etc. I think this whole group, roster and staff, badly needs a week off.

The Ravens offense ranks:
    7th in points per drive
    6th in scoring pctg per drive
    3rd in Red Zone TD%
    4th in DVOA

According to DVOA the Ravens faced the league's toughest slate of opposing defenses over the first 10 or 11 weeks. They're doing okay.

My primary concerns after the bye will be:
    • Pass-pro, esp from the OTs
    • Connecting on deep balls when guys get a step for bombs

Secondary concerns:
    • Keaton Mitchell's workload (can he be an every-down guy at his size/build?)
    • TE rotation
    • Lamar connecting with Bateman; seems he either short-arms him or overthrows.
    Jim

RG3 just did your “ it’s the Jim’s and the Joe’s not the X and the O’s” speech on Monday night countdown

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Agreed. I do think they should look into drafting another maybe day 2 due to 2 of our top 4 guys being on one year deals...and the third going into his final year of his deal, but first round IMHO should be ideally an OT.
    Zay, I believe, is a 1 in the making. Worst case scenario, a high end #2. The problem is what's behind him. Beckham is going to continue to struggle with injuries, Bateman isn't worth keeping beyond his rookie contract and then there's that fan who stole the #15 jersey and hasn't been caught yet.

So, if they don't either spend a high round pick on a WR, make a trade or sign a FA, they'll be playing with fire again next season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    What’s our offensive identity?
    We're basically still a run first offense that will occasionally turn to the passing game to switch it up, but it's ultimately to create more room for the running game, more than to really win throwing the ball. We're still last in the league in passing attempts by design. Just that, instead of Roman's high school passing scheme, Monken made some tweaks to at least make it NFL level and it's still not rewriting the history books.

Their issue is that they can't consistently establish the run without Lamar being involved. It's been a pattern. Early on, Gus and Hill will have little room. Then, Lamar will start taking off and suddenly the first and second level of the defense is hesitating and then Gus and Hill have more room.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore