Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

post game press conference concern

when a reporter asked Harbaugh about the two plays that could have been challenged for line of gain, one which the ravens were stopped on 4th down in chargeres territory, Harbaugh said there were 4-5 plays that his sideline was confused about the down markers and distance. this is similar to not knowing the time discrepancy on the fair catch of a punt by flowers at the end of the Colts game.

i don't understand with all the personell and the cost of a foolish loss like the colts loss that these types of mistakes can happen at this level. i never took harbaugh for a schematic genius but i did think his strong point was discipline and administrative planning.

Blog Entries

Re: post game press conference concern

Harbaugh not challenging those two spots, only to challenge the one he was obviously going to lose, sent me into exclamation points.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    Harbaugh said there were 4-5 plays that his sideline was confused about the down markers and distance.
    His implication, as I understand it, was that the refs, chain crew and scoreboard were having trouble establishing down and distance, creating the confusion. You can't challenge situations the officials had not clearly established. Whether that was what was truly occurring, I can't say, but I believe that was what Harbaugh was implying.
    "That's what."
    She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    His implication, as I understand it, was that the refs, chain crew and scoreboard were having trouble establishing down and distance, creating the confusion. You can't challenge situations the officials had not clearly established. Whether that was what was truly occurring, I can't say, but I believe that was what Harbaugh was implying.
    I think that's BS, frankly. There was only one time in the game where the down as shown on the sideline came into question. Our guys were simply asleep at the switch.

when a reporter asked Harbaugh about the two plays that could have been challenged for line of gain, one which the ravens were stopped on 4th down in chargeres territory, Harbaugh said there were 4-5 plays that his sideline was confused about the down markers and distance. this is similar to not knowing the time discrepancy on the fair catch of a punt by flowers at the end of the Colts game.

i don't understand with all the personell and the cost of a foolish loss like the colts loss that these types of mistakes can happen at this level. i never took harbaugh for a schematic genius but i did think his strong point was discipline and administrative planning.
    I was also confused by these comments at the presser. It was clear that Harbaugh assumed it was a first down on the Agholar play but was this because one of the officials signaled a first down? Was there an erroneous first down call that was later changed and no one on our bench noticed? If Harbaugh (or his dedicated replay assistant) knew it was an obvious first down, why not challenge before we snap the ball for the next play? I guess it's also possible that he was given bad information by the replay aide and Harbaugh didn't want to throw him under the bus. Under any scenario, totally incompetent game management similar to the Colts game where they didn't react to new information about the actual correct time on the clock.

Ask the Ravens' fans who were at the game. Didn't a couple of them already comment that the scoreboard and clock were slow? That alone would lend credence to Harbaugh's comments. Off the top of my head, there were at least two times where there were significant delays and seeming confusion with officials over this, and I was watching only what the TV wanted to show me. Being there in person, I would bet there were more.

I know I don't listen to other HC's press conferences so who knows what other coaches are saying/seeing, but this is just happening too often where the coaches are losing track of downs and distances and time on the clock and nobody seems to know what the fuck is going on. It's a huge issue and really a needless one considering Bisciotti will allow Harbaugh to hire as many managers as he wants...there should never be a situation where the HC and coordinators don't know what down or distance or how much time is left on the clock before they run the next play.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The refs were really bad last night.

The same thing happened to the Chargers earlier in the game after Geno Stone smacked Justin Herbert (something he should have been flagged for, btw). The down marker had it as 3rd down, the refs were saying 4th down, Harbaugh was asking why isn't it 4th down, Staley was pissed because the down judge was wrong...

What a mess.

That ref crew should be fired. They did not call a good game at all.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    I think that's BS, frankly. There was only one time in the game where the down as shown on the sideline came into question. Our guys were simply asleep at the switch.
    I’m with you in as much this is classic Harbaugh BS but they were having issues earlier when the crew didn’t even have the correct down displayed on the sticks on a Chargers possession.

From what I understand, correct me if I’m wrong, the NFL allows the home team to provide the line/stick crews. To me, this is a huge issue as in there can be quite a bit of homerism at work one of the most important aspects of the game. The league should take over the stick crews.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

The same thing happened to the Chargers earlier in the game after Geno Stone smacked Justin Herbert (something he should have been flagged for, btw). The down marker had it as 3rd down, the refs were saying 4th down, Harbaugh was asking why isn't it 4th down, Staley was pissed because the down judge was wrong...

What a mess.

That ref crew should be fired. They did not call a good game at all.

I liked that they let them play and didn't get ticky tack. They did miss many quick jumps by the tackles on both teams. It was the sideline people who couldn't get the spots right.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRaven View Post
    I’m with you in as much this is classic Harbaugh BS but they were having issues earlier when the crew didn’t even have the correct down displayed on the sticks on a Chargers possession.
    These. Both teams were having trouble getting the necessary info from the refs & side crews.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRaven View Post

From what I understand, correct me if I’m wrong, the NFL allows the home team to provide the line/stick crews. To me, this is a huge issue as in there can be quite a bit of homerism at work one of the most important aspects of the game. The league should take over the stick crews.
    In Cincinnati yesterday wasn't the stadium game clock inoperable for some time?
    In Detroit (?) on Thanksgiving (?) didn't a ref announce a delay because the chain gang failed to move the sticks?

A big problem with the NFL is that it is so bureaucraticized. The players are playing one game against each other while coaches and refs are playing another complementary game. One game is for athletes and scratches the itch of wannabe/has-beens, for Al Bundy. The other game is for arm chair middle managers and strategists, for Drucker and Clausewitz. It doesn’t take a conspiracist to see how an NFL “Deep State” could be superimposed onto and manipulate this latter game.