“Trouble the Water”

New Film Provides Firsthand Account of Hurricane Katrina and Its Aftermath
    As the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina approaches. Trouble the Water follows a couple from New Orleans’ Ninth Ward and their return home two weeks after the hurricane. It begins with footage shot by the couple, who documented the approach of the hurricane and the moment the floodwaters began to rise.

Opens at the Charles Theater on October 31st. Support the film...support the recovery of New Orleans.

Re: “Trouble the Water”

I just hope it isnt has biased and inaccurate as Spike Lee's "joint"

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I just hope it isnt has biased and inaccurate as Spike Lee's "joint"
    I contracted with a federal agency to provide psychological support to 9th Ward residents returning to their homes 6-8 weeks after Katrina. Most of these residents were excited for what they thought was their return home. They had no idea that their house was either not there at all, upside down three blocks away or crumbling from within. Many of these homes were generational. I could write a book about the stories that arose when they turned the corner to get onto the street where they lived and the realization hit that there was no house left...there was no home left and there was no community left. A community that spanned over a hundred years and everyone truly knew everyone.

I never saw Spike Lee's movie because I was basically burned out with the whole thing for a while but am interested in this new documentary. How did you see Lee's movie as biased and inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I never saw Spike Lee's movie because I was basically burned out with the whole thing for a while but am interested in this new documentary. How did you see Lee's movie as biased and inaccurate?
    His version of the blame game stopped at Bush and "Browny".

Not a mention of the Governor waiting on deploying the National Guard. No mention of the 120 buses that sat in a pool of water instead of helping with the evacuation.

Believe me, Bush and FEMA had their own issues. But when Spike tries to push this one-sided version down my throat, he loses all cred in my eyes. Inaccurate isnt the best word actually -- incomplete is more appropriate.

Kudos to the work you did down there -- it could not have been easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    I contracted with a federal agency to provide psychological support to 9th Ward residents returning to their homes 6-8 weeks after Katrina

===========================================
    :insane:

That's a case of the blind leading the blind as upset as you get in a forum.

I'd hate to see you in real life.

:grbac:
    I don't get upset when trying to help someone cope with the loss of their entire community. During those times, one recognizes the real unimportance of politics when in the moment. It's pretty telling you choose to attack me around that particular issue. I would be a tad more tolerant of fundamentalists if they actually practiced what they preached once in a while.

Blind? Really?? Coming from someone who quotes mythology in virtually every post???

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    His version of the blame game stopped at Bush and "Browny".

Not a mention of the Governor waiting on deploying the National Guard. No mention of the 120 buses that sat in a pool of water instead of helping with the evacuation.

Believe me, Bush and FEMA had their own issues. But when Spike tries to push this one-sided version down my throat, he loses all cred in my eyes. Inaccurate isnt the best word actually -- incomplete is more appropriate.

Kudos to the work you did down there -- it could not have been easy.
    There weren't many systems working effectively at all. The fed. agency I worked with wasted a lot of time, money and resources trying to get people on the ground. The local mental health agencies were non-existent to begin with and I blame that on Nagin and local sources. We were essentially providing more direct services in a crisis mode then were available prior to the hurricane.

Its an odd experience when you arrive with the expectation that someone local will direct you and tell you what you need to do and instead the person informing you of conditions just arrived two weeks earlier and was informed by someone arriving just two weeks before them and so on. I never thought I would see third world in the U.S. but it was there.

That all being said, it remains easy to blame the victim. The impoverished, uneducated, disconnected few were just left out to dry...literally. Its easy for you and I to say well we saw it coming on The Weather Channel, knew it was going to be bad so we boarded up our house, hopped in our car and left. Getting to know these people you realize that they don't see the world in that way.

I think this documentary aims to tell the story of a family who filmed a lot with their own cam.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    You can't even debate in a political forum, not on points, so you get personal. That's when I know I always won. Even with Greg, I exposed the heretics, he attacks me breaking his own biblical principles. I didn't say anything to anyone in the forum. I made an Obama joke like Leno, Letterman and many others and you go nuts.
    Pointing out your use of Osama for Obama as a slur is not a personal attack on you. What it is though instead is an illustration of the careless politicking that is only serving to confuse people. It is the epitome of attacking person vs. discussing issues.

When it goes as far as me saying that I think you are ignorant for posting such crap, then that is when it will become a personal attack.