Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco to sign with Browns

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    Signing Joe makes perfect sense. He knows AFC North and knows the Ravens. So he either is a total bust at this stage of his career or plays out of his mind with the idea this is the last hurrah for him. Browns took a major chance but they are getting a very seasoned QB who may play to greatness again...50/50 roll of the dice...boom or bust. I certainly do not like the idea of a locked and loaded Flacco at the end of the season.
    Yup, he is an insurance policy and a wild-card if they don't get adequate play from DTR and Walker. Unlikely he sees the field, but if those 2 struggle, they bring him in as a last ditch effort to save the season.....if he does, great for them....if he doesn't, no harm done.

Blog Entries

Interesting take from Mike Sando of The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/5070626/2023...mpaign=8342002

The Browns signed Joe Flacco to their practice squad and will probably need him, the way this season is going.

A somewhat comical but not entirely unserious question: Would 2023 Joe Flacco be worse than 2015 Peyton Manning? A Super Bowl could ride on the answer.

“Peyton was just such a commanding presence who could still run the play clock down, still get the defense to jump, still carry a ton of swag,” an exec said. “They compare in mobility. They do not compare in command of the game, leadership, that stuff. And I’m not even sure how well Joe can throw the ball at this point.”

Manning won a Super Bowl with Denver in his final season despite being so diminished physically, he struggled throwing the ball. Manning finished 2015 with 11 touchdown passes, 18 interceptions and a 69.5 passer rating, counting playoffs. He ranked lower than Ryan Mallett and Blaine Gabbert in EPA per pass play. Only Nick Foles, then with the pre-Sean McVay Rams, ranked lower than Manning that season.

Cleveland ranks last in offensive EPA per game since 2000 among teams that were 7-3 or better through 10 games. On average, their offense puts them in a 10-point hole every game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

The Browns signed Joe Flacco to their practice squad and will probably need him, the way this season is going.

A somewhat comical but not entirely unserious question: Would 2023 Joe Flacco be worse than 2015 Peyton Manning? A Super Bowl could ride on the answer.

“Peyton was just such a commanding presence who could still run the play clock down, still get the defense to jump, still carry a ton of swag,” an exec said. “They compare in mobility. They do not compare in command of the game, leadership, that stuff. And I’m not even sure how well Joe can throw the ball at this point.”

Manning won a Super Bowl with Denver in his final season despite being so diminished physically, he struggled throwing the ball. Manning finished 2015 with 11 touchdown passes, 18 interceptions and a 69.5 passer rating, counting playoffs. He ranked lower than Ryan Mallett and Blaine Gabbert in EPA per pass play. Only Nick Foles, then with the pre-Sean McVay Rams, ranked lower than Manning that season.

Cleveland ranks last in offensive EPA per game since 2000 among teams that were 7-3 or better through 10 games. On average, their offense puts them in a 10-point hole every game.
    How gut-wrenching would it be for the Cleveland Browns to win their first Super Bowl with the former Ravens quarterback?

Daggers...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    How gut-wrenching would it be for the Cleveland Browns to win their first Super Bowl with the former Ravens quarterback?

Daggers...
    Id be ok with not facing Steelers or the Browns in the POs. Both of those teams can win without elite QBs IMHO. I might be the only one, but I think Flacco can add a few wins for the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Id be ok with not facing Steelers or the Browns in the POs. Both of those teams can win without elite QBs IMHO. I might be the only one, but I think Flacco can add a few wins for the Browns.
    Absolutely he could. Flacco to Njoku all day!

Not buying that comparison at all. Manning and Flacco are almost polar opposites. Manning's strengths were his pre-snap and post-snap reads, and by 2015, his accuracy. He was actually the opposite of clutch for most of his career.

Flacco's game was built on arm strength on any part of the field. And he was as clutch as clutch gets.

And leadership? I love Joe, but he was never much on leadership. He just showed up and played.

Don't know about the condition of Joe's arm at this point. But if you're looking for a noodle-armed guy who's going to be savvy enough to make the right reads and pinpoint in his accuracy on short and medium passes and provide strong veteran leadership... that's not Joe.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Daggers...
    That 2015 Broncos defense was truly elite and I don't think this Browns defense is on that level. That said if Flacco has anything left in the tank he can definitely lead the Browns to the playoff and make some noise in the postseason.

Just be glad it isn't the Steelers. Pickett is one of the worst QB's I've ever watched and I have to think Flacco gives them a much better chance to win games.

Blog Entries

Daggers...
    It would be about as tough to take as it gets

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Don off the top rope! ;-)
    lol

It would be about as tough to take as it gets
    You guys are going tonget your pressure up over nothing. Flacco has been done. If he gets off the sofa and leads that team anywhere near the SB then the star have aligned perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    You guys are going tonget your pressure up over nothing. Flacco has been done. If he gets off the sofa and leads that team anywhere near the SB then the star have aligned perfectly.
    He has won one of his last 14 appearances and that was versus the Browns.

Nothing against him wanting to continue his career, best of luck to him but this board is beyond delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Wentz is a Ram.

Matt Ryan is washed and done. He looked worse than Flacco last year on a better team (one that could pass block).

McCoy? I'd take Flacco.

Nick Foles? He's looked washed and done for a while.

Will Grier? LOL!

Trace McSorley? LOL!

Matt Barkley? LOL!

IF any of these guys are better than Flacco it isn't by much. Some of them aren't even close.
    Barkley I think is still on the Giants practice squad

I don't think Browns picked Flacco as a dick move against the Ravens but more because he's familiar with the AFC North and he looked somewhat impressive in beating them last year with the Jets... but I get his point after they signed Proche and Drake, it seems like they're going out of their way to get ex-Ravens