Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Tuck is 1/5 this season on FGs of 50 or more

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Or maybe his OC/QB could run something other than your normal slow-developing plays on 3rd and whatever and avoid taking sacks that take the team out of FG range.

But yeah, I was all for pinning them inside the 10 there.
    The Browns pass rush was ferocious all game, but Lamar is sitting in the pocket waiting for a play to develop. Just a complete failure on the coaching and for Lamar not recognizing that the Ravens needed to start calling quick short passes.

They have both Flowers and Keaton who can make something out on a three yard pass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Or maybe his OC/QB could run something other than your normal slow-developing plays on 3rd and whatever and avoid taking sacks that take the team out of FG range.

But yeah, I was all for pinning them inside the 10 there.
    I would agree that would be the most ideal outcome lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    If the baseball nerds can measure launch angle, exit velocity, and a host of other objective and independent factors indicative of performance then isn't something similar available to NFL nerds for kickers? Do we really have to eyeball decline? Can't the issue be pretty much settled with data?

Today I saw what looked like a bad block by Ben Cleveland.
    Was the kick lower than it ought to have been?
    Did Tucker take more time to approach the kick?
    To my eye, the snap was also high and Stout did a good job handling it but it might have messed with the timing a bit. In any event, missed makeable FGs and blocked kicks are likely to kill a team in a close game. The whole kicking ST unit has work to do to prevent these mistakes.

I donít think decline is the right word, but this year, I donít feel anything from 50-56 or so is automatic like I used to. Heís not only missing, but heís getting them blockedÖprobably partly on him not getting the height he used to get but also, this special teams coach isnít very good and the unit as a whole is getting way too many kicks/punts blocked, allowing too long returns and not getting nearly as many great returns himself.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Haven't watched closely enough to have a sense of what's off, but definitely feel like Tucker has been uncharacteristically ordinary this year. The blocks make me wonder about issues with the snap. Tucker had an elite long snapper for years in Morgan Cox and Nick Moore seemed to be on his way to that level. Ott seemed to be sort of the guy we could pick up quickly at the time and I wonder how much of a downgrade he might be from Moore.

Blog Entries

They had a late change at long snapper due to injury. The holder went from someone Tucker had worked with from day 1 to kid with limited experience. Those changes matter. They do have to find a way to get over them but it's clearly a factor this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They had a late change at long snapper due to injury. The holder went from someone Tucker had worked with from day 1 to kid with limited experience. Those changes matter. They do have to find a way to get over them but it's clearly a factor this year.
    I was wondering the same thing. Stout is supposedly an excellent holder. Maybe the time from snap to hold has increased. Seems like milliseconds could make a difference and it sure seems like something they could measure.

He's definitely lost a bit of oomph and accuracy it seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by partlycloudy View Post
    I know the miss today was a block, but let's talk about it. He's been a very, very average kicker this season. I no longer have the same confidence when he's sent out for attempts over 50 yards (strictly over 50, he's still money within 50). Do we think this is the start of a sustained decline, or temporary dip?

Curious is it Tuckers fault when the field goals are blocked?

I know we lost yesterday but this thread is just purely absurd and stupid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don’t think decline is the right word, but this year, I don’t feel anything from 50-56 or so is automatic like I used to. He’s not only missing, but he’s getting them blocked…probably partly on him not getting the height he used to get but also, this special teams coach isn’t very good and the unit as a whole is getting way too many kicks/punts blocked, allowing too long returns and not getting nearly as many great returns himself.
    Yeah, the real issue is the ST coach is abhorrent and clueless. I wish you guys could have heard me on that, I think, 2nd or 3rd kickoff of ours, where instead of booting it out the end zone, they do the gimmick try to kick it to the goal line thing and the returner promptly blew past all our ST guys and got to like the 35. They never tried it again all day. I never drop F bombs at the stadium out of respect for people around me but I was at that point lol

Of course, Browns did that too and Duvernay's dumbass took the ball out and got to like the 20. He then fair caught the rest lol
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Tucker certainly seems off somehow. I think the plant foot may have slipped on the block yesterday but I'd have to see it again.

I wonder if he's not as confident he'll have the range on long kicks, so he's angling them more to guarantee they get there. That would mean they are flying lower, leading to higher likelihood of blocks.