Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Understanding Monken's impact

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I liked the hire too and I do like that when we come out, we typically seem to have a good initial game plan...ball usually comes out quick, guys get the ball in space and we move the ball/score points in the first quarter and a half. But that's what makes virtually everything that happens after that so frustrating...it's like the defense adjusts, and we just start trying to hit home runs every play or try and get extra cute even when the basics are dominating for us.
    He is having trouble giving Lamar answers for when the O-line starts to struggle. When the O-line struggles Lamar either throws a screen for like 0 yards or freaks out and throws it incomplete. That's why we see stretches of Lamar going like 4/15 once the d-line starts having sucesss. They need to go to max protect sooner or give him some other quick outlet besides a screen going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    He is having trouble giving Lamar answers for when the O-line starts to struggle. When the O-line struggles Lamar either throws a screen for like 0 yards or freaks out and throws it incomplete. That's why we see stretches of Lamar going like 4/15 once the d-line starts having sucesss. They need to go to max protect sooner or give him some other quick outlet besides a screen going nowhere.
    I've been saying that for weeks. You have to start rolling him out with an option to run or pass. That can negate much of the pass rush. Going up tempo can also work because the d-line gets gassed and becomes less effective. We never seem to do either one. Instead Lamar is left running for his life or taking sacks.

Blog Entries

There are patterns within the frustrating aspects of Todd Monken's play-calling, that are eerily similar to that of previous Offensive Coordinators here. Not only that, but more and more we're hearing commentators and analysts mention that the offense isn't really that much different from that of Greg Roman. Just more 11 personnel and a few tweaks.

Both of those things point to a bigger issue. And we can guess what that issue is.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 11-27-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There are patterns within the frustrating aspects of Todd Monken's play-calling, that are eerily similar to that of previous Offensive Coordinators here. Not only that, but more and more we're hearing commentators and analysts mention that the offense is really that much different from that of Greg Roman. Just more 11 personnel and a few tweaks.

Both of those things point to a bigger issue. And we can guess what that issue is.
    Ravens remain a running first offense. They lead the NFL in rushing yards and 2nd in rushing attempts. The passing offense is ranked 31st in passing attempts and 20th in passing yards. We're getting better play calling from Monken (for the most part), but the offense is going to remain what it's been since Lamar joined the Ravens.

Lamar doesn't have the same speed/burst that he possessed his first few seasons. The time is now to switch to a passing oriented offense. Lamar is still fast, but the more the Ravens run him the more wear and tear he's going to take and eventually this offense won't work.

I just want to see this offense get to a point wear the Ravens can lean on the passing offense to win games instead of the relying on the running game for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Right...but what's crazy to me is that we do some of that starting games. Quick passes. No Justice Hill. Getting the ball to guys in space who can get YAC like Likely. We have the answers...it's just bizarre that they go away from it when the pressure comes.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    More run game. When Lamar gets scattershot and uncomfortable, why do we just keep letting me sling it? Call a run play more than once. They never stopped our run game but we got away from it.
    Did we get away from it?

1st half: 16 rushes for 58 yds (3.6 ypc) rushed 44% of plays
    2nd half: 19 rushes for 139 yds (7.3 ypc) rushed 58% of plays

Their four biggest plays in the run game were all in the 2nd half:
    Flowers 37yd TD
    Keaton 29yd
    Justice 18yd
    Keaton 12yd

Subtract those four big plays from the second-half total, and they rushed 15 times for just under 3ypc. But they stuck with it and hit the big ones.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Understanding Monken's impact

I agree with what's already been written. This was a game the Ravens should have put away much earlier than to have to wait for Zay's late TD. The Chargers turned the ball over FOUR times to our ZERO, making it a to me. Maybe there will be "adjustments" made instead of our coaching staff's usual "adjestments" They've got two weeks to figure it out, so let's hope so... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Did we get away from it?

1st half: 16 rushes for 58 yds (3.6 ypc) rushed 44% of plays
    2nd half: 19 rushes for 139 yds (7.3 ypc) rushed 58% of plays

Their four biggest plays in the run game were all in the 2nd half:
    Flowers 37yd TD
    Keaton 29yd
    Justice 18yd
    Keaton 12yd

Subtract those four big plays from the second-half total, and they rushed 15 times for just under 3ypc. But they stuck with it and hit the big ones.
    You leave out the last line of my post: "Edited to add that at least he was able to pull his shiitake mushrooms together on the last two drives. Thankfully."

For much of the second and third quarter when Lamar went 4/12 we weren't running the ball enough. Arguably. That's what I mean by scattershot. I mean doing more to help Lamar get comfortable again after Mack starts terrorizing from both sides of the line.

Monken did a great job on the last two jobs - much like he did in the first quarter. I included that as well in my criticism of his approach last night.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    The more I think about it the more awful its becomes, They had EXTRA TIME, they had a long week to prepare for 'THE STALE CURTAIN' Chargers defense is fucking atrocious. Chargers super soft zone was giving up 8 yard releases, theyre 7th round corner #33 was giving up free slants and underneath routes all day and they couldnt take advantage.
    I guess Iíll have to be the one to keep it real.

Monken sucked last night, but our offense will continue to look like that until Lamar can consistently hit those deep passes. Teams just load the box and donít respect anything deep because Lamar isnít making them respect the deep ball. Once heís hitting them at a 60% clip at least, the offense will open back up.

I think his main issue is the personnel decisions. Half of those play calls I donít mind if he uses the right players.

Lamar instead of Gus on the wildcat 4th and 1.

Flowers or Mitchell on the jet sweep instead of Duvernay.

Mitchell instead of Hill on most playsÖ

Heís getting too cute and tipping his hand, weíre not a cute team never have been.

Cut down the substitutions and stick to the strengths on the offense.

Blog Entries

Two observation about Monken:

1) Way too many LJ runs up the middle on first and 10. I can understand running him in short yardage situations. But on first and 10, use your running backs to get the tough yards. He's going to get LJ injured.

2) No in-game adjustments to adjustments made by the defense. (This is an old problem that precedes Monken.)

He's a clear improvement over Roman, but there's still room for more improvement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smoothSeph View Post
    I think his main issue is the personnel decisions. Half of those play calls I donít mind if he uses the right players.

Lamar instead of Gus on the wildcat 4th and 1.

Flowers or Mitchell on the jet sweep instead of Duvernay.

Mitchell instead of Hill on most playsÖ

Heís getting too cute and tipping his hand, weíre not a cute team never have been.

Cut down the substitutions and stick to the strengths on the offense.
    How about shelving that altogether? Edwards is not a wildcat RB at all. You want to run him, put a fullback to lead the way from the I-formation. Football is a simple game in many cases. Stop the urge of constantly "zigging when they expect you to zag". Line up, tighten your chin strap, and play.

[EDIT: And do not run Lamar from an obvious run formation either. He's not a running back.]