Re: Understanding Monken's impact

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Diogenes would have a field day.
    LOL Jimmy...

"Except for Ravens fans, I cannot find a single one!"

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I think he's an H-back. Straight outta Joe Gibbs' roster ideas.
    Like Chris Cooley or Clint Didier, but bigger & stronger.
    Norv Turner would call the position an F-back.
    I donít recall Moose doing abnormal FB duties but I was a young teenager new to football when Dallas was unstoppable.

I remember a good amount of short yardage handoffs, often successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I donít recall Moose doing abnormal FB duties but I was a young teenager new to football when Dallas was unstoppable.

I remember a good amount of short yardage handoffs, often successful.
    That's how I remember it too, Moose Johnston as a traditional FB, rather than an H-back or similar.
    I don't have as solid an impression of Norv's offenses at other stops (Washington, San Diego etc).

To be honest I've soured on Monken :

some of the situational calls still baffle me

hot hands still getting Iced out of game plans ( Likely, Mitchell, OBJ)

Plummeting Third Down Rate( 36% In the last 3

Odd personal usage. ( Justice Hill in the Red zone?)

Seemingly a lack of adjustment to OL losing matchups

Chargers defense has been free points and awful for years and they couldn't capitalize

Thankfully for us, this twice-fired OC is still better than our other twice-fired OC.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

He really sucked ass last night. One of the worst game plans and play calls/personnel decisions I can remember.

Shade brings up excellent points and I agree with basically all of them. Some are such basic, common sense stuff it blows my mind...does Justice Hill have nude photos of Monken/Harbaugh that forces them to keep giving him the ball in goal to go/3rd down short yardage situations? What happens to the quick passing game after a quarter and a half? Why do guys disappear like this from the game plan? Why does he keep doing WR screens that go nowhere? Have we made any second half/late game adjustments...cause it looks like after the middle of the second quarter, it turns in to "Lamar, just run around back there for 4-5 seconds, hope nobody sacks you, and throw it up in a prayer at the last second" show.

Really discouraging, especially how it seems other teams defensively adjust so well to us, and we don't seem to ever have a legit counter...and we stop doing what was so successful earlier.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He really sucked ass last night. One of the worst game plans and play calls/personnel decisions I can remember.

Shade brings up excellent points and I agree with basically all of them. Some are such basic, common sense stuff it blows my mind...does Justice Hill have nude photos of Monken/Harbaugh that forces them to keep giving him the ball in goal to go/3rd down short yardage situations? What happens to the quick passing game after a quarter and a half? Why do guys disappear like this from the game plan? Why does he keep doing WR screens that go nowhere? Have we made any second half/late game adjustments...cause it looks like after the middle of the second quarter, it turns in to "Lamar, just run around back there for 4-5 seconds, hope nobody sacks you, and throw it up in a prayer at the last second" show.

Really discouraging, especially how it seems other teams defensively adjust so well to us, and we don't seem to ever have a legit counter...and we stop doing what was so successful earlier.
    The more I think about it the more awful its becomes, They had EXTRA TIME, they had a long week to prepare for 'THE STALE CURTAIN' Chargers defense is fucking atrocious. Chargers super soft zone was giving up 8 yard releases, theyre 7th round corner #33 was giving up free slants and underneath routes all day and they couldnt take advantage.
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

I loved the Monken hire and I really liked what I saw from him in the first half.

But why did he get a lobotomy in the second half? What happened to OBJ, Likely, and Bateman?

Running back by committee to put away a game? I like Justice and I thought he ran hard and well, but just so odd to go away from what was clearly working.

More run game. When Lamar gets scattershot and uncomfortable, why do we just keep letting me sling it? Call a run play more than once. They never stopped our run game but we got away from it.

Definitely his worst game of the season.

Edited to add that at least he was able to pull his shiitake mushrooms together on the last two drives. Thankfully.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    To be honest I've soured on Monken :

some of the situational calls still baffle me

hot hands still getting Iced out of game plans ( Likely, Mitchell, OBJ)

Plummeting Third Down Rate( 36% In the last 3

Odd personal usage. ( Justice Hill in the Red zone?)

Seemingly a lack of adjustment to OL losing matchups

Chargers defense has been free points and awful for years and they couldn't capitalize

Thankfully for us, this twice-fired OC is still better than our other twice-fired OC.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Khalil Mack did whatever the fuck he wanted to against Morgan Moses. They need to put a TE over there, or more consistently put Ricard over there instead of leaving him on an island with Moses, or trying to chip him with 190lb Keaton Mitchell.

That was unwise.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    I loved the Monken hire and I really liked what I saw from him in the first half.

But why did he get a lobotomy in the second half? What happened to OBJ, Likely, and Bateman?

Running back by committee to put away a game? I like Justice and I thought he ran hard and well, but just so odd to go away from what was clearly working.

More run game. When Lamar gets scattershot and uncomfortable, why do we just keep letting me sling it? Call a run play more than once. They never stopped our run game but we got away from it.

Definitely his worst game of the season.

Edited to add that at least he was able to pull his shiitake mushrooms together on the last two drives. Thankfully.
    I liked the hire too and I do like that when we come out, we typically seem to have a good initial game plan...ball usually comes out quick, guys get the ball in space and we move the ball/score points in the first quarter and a half. But that's what makes virtually everything that happens after that so frustrating...it's like the defense adjusts, and we just start trying to hit home runs every play or try and get extra cute even when the basics are dominating for us.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Monken has called one complete game where he was innovative throughout and that was against Detroit. We've had way too many games where the offense looks constipated or we're having success with something and then inexplicably go away from it. That's on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I liked the hire too and I do like that when we come out, we typically seem to have a good initial game plan...ball usually comes out quick, guys get the ball in space and we move the ball/score points in the first quarter and a half. But that's what makes virtually everything that happens after that so frustrating...it's like the defense adjusts, and we just start trying to hit home runs every play or try and get extra cute even when the basics are dominating for us.
    Might be game plan . Get ahead then play safe and take a few shots Ride the D

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Might be game plan . Get ahead then play safe and take a few shots Ride the D

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Roman could do that. Is that what we signed up for with Monken and a bunch of new receivers? Playing half a game results in turning probable wins into losses.