Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Understanding Monken's impact

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Guilty.
    Oh me too. I think I said over and over this offseason that Ricard wasn't gonna have a role in this offense. Monken doesn't use Fullbacks!

I was WRONG.

Honestly, this vindicates Roman a little bit, along with Harbs. Ricard really IS as useful as he/they thought he was. Even with a "real" offensive coordinator, Ricard still can't be kept off the field. Monken's background is spread offense / Air Raid, and he still can't keep Ricard off the field.

Fascinating player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don’t need Lamar to have long runs. Lamar can fall out of bed and rush for 40 yards per game without taking serious hits running wide near the end zone and on scrambles to move the chains. That is plenty of running for me from my QB. I love the fact that the Ravens finally have better WRs and an NFL passing scheme. Lamar is showing everyone that he can read defenses and be a very effective passer.

The Ravens need a RB1 to replace Dobbins. Maybe Mitchell is that guy, but I have my doubts about his durability. I love Gus, but to me, he is more of a complimentary RB2. Add a RB1 to this offense and use Flowers more downfield and this offense will really take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True, but I would love to see him improve on his deep passes. It seems like every game he overthrows 1-2 deep passes to open receivers.

I am not hating on Lamar here.He's doing a spectacular job and we'd prob be 3-4 or worse without him. The Ravens simply win with him on the field. But man- if he finds a way to start hitting those deep passes then this team is SB bound.

We've seen time and again that stellar running alone doesn't get you far in the postseason. You've gotta have your sh** together in the passing game, especially on deep balls. Lamar has 9 TD passes in 9 games. That kind of passing won't take the team very far in January, even with a lights out defense.

Just my $0.02.

Go Ravens! Beat the Turds and Kitty Kats this week.

Quote Originally Posted by RVA7 View Post
    TBH- We won't understand the true impact of Monken's offense until we get to (and hopefully all the way through) January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    As some have said it's a work in progress and the best is yet to come. I agree with him vs previous OCs in that he has much more in his bag of tricks. We can expect more in the future than what we have seen so far.
    We're not going to see the full impact of Monken on offense until Year Two & Year Three. Look back at his Georgia and Tampa tenure. This whole year, even as good as we've been so far, this whole year is prelude.

Understanding Monken's impact

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Oh me too. I think I said over and over this offseason that Ricard wasn't gonna have a role in this offense. Monken doesn't use Fullbacks!

I was WRONG.

Honestly, this vindicates Roman a little bit, along with Harbs. Ricard really IS as useful as he/they thought he was. Even with a "real" offensive coordinator, Ricard still can't be kept off the field. Monken's background is spread offense / Air Raid, and he still can't keep Ricard off the field.

Fascinating player.
    Monken never used 2 TEís either, until Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington were two of his best offensive players on his roster:

So he didnít use a FB, but when presented with perhaps the most impactful non ball carrier to the run game in decades, you find a way to use him. Thatís what good coaches do.

Last edited by jonboy79; 11-11-2023 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    He used to be able to fall out of bed and rush for 100 yards and barely get touched..,

Keaton Mitchell is not nor ever will be a RB1Ö.

I very much so prefer this new pass scheme.

True but we both know that the Ravens need in keep Jackson in the mix in the running game. IMO I think the Ravens will do this to keep the defenses guessing.......respecting Jackson's play making ability. It helps the Ravens passing game when the opposing defense has to keep a spy on Jackson........one less in coverage. That said I think the difference is the Ravens are not dependent on Jackson running the ball, it's more complementary. This years Ravens offense is what every team strives for........balance. IMO Monken and Lamar Jackson have been giving a master class. I don't think the Browns will have much of a chance. I see this game going much like the Seattle game. Slow at the beginning till Monken figures out what Cleveland wants to do......he will make an adjustment and it will be off to the races.
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......

Monken never used 2 TEís either, until Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington were two of his best offensive players on his roster:

So he didnít use a TE, but when presented with perhaps the most impactful non ball carrier to the run game in decades, you find a way to use him. Thatís what good coaches do.

Yeah I was wrong also.

Ricard is extremely valuable in the run game obviously but also in the passing game. Heís a huge part of our pass protection scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Yeah I was wrong also.

Ricard is extremely valuable in the run game obviously but also in the passing game. Heís a huge part of our pass protection scheme.
    Yeah, itís probably selling him short to call him a FB at this point being that he is a FB, TE and 6th OL depending on the snapÖ.

Yeah, itís probably selling him short to call him a FB at this point being that he is a FB, TE and 6th OL depending on the snapÖ.
    I think he's an H-back. Straight outta Joe Gibbs' roster ideas.
    Like Chris Cooley or Clint Didier, but bigger & stronger.
    Norv Turner would call the position an F-back.

9. Re: Understanding Monken's impact

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    True but we both know that the Ravens need in keep Jackson in the mix in the running game. IMO I think the Ravens will do this to keep the defenses guessing.......respecting Jackson's play making ability. It helps the Ravens passing game when the opposing defense has to keep a spy on Jackson........one less in coverage. That said I think the difference is the Ravens are not dependent on Jackson running the ball, it's more complementary. This years Ravens offense is what every team strives for........balance. IMO Monken and Lamar Jackson have been giving a master class. I don't think the Browns will have much of a chance. I see this game going much like the Seattle game. Slow at the beginning till Monken figures out what Cleveland wants to do......he will make an adjustment and it will be off to the races.
    ^^100%^^ on the money

Blog Entries

Red face Re: Understanding Monken's impact

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Guilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Yeah I was wrong also.

Ricard is extremely valuable in the run game obviously but also in the passing game. He’s a huge part of our pass protection scheme.
    I wish you'd both stop being an honest men. It's embarrassing me

OK, I'm guilty too... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    Amen, I love watching the offense operate and Monken give press conferences as well. We've seen some bad OCs in town, and all of them say the right things but Monken looks to be knocking Kubiak off the mantle as my favorite OC for the Ravens.
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I wish you'd both stop being an honest men.
    Diogenes would have a field day.