Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: JK Dobbins isn't counting on being a Raven in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Not sure what your expectations are for mid-round RBs, but there are some quality backups (Taylor, Pierce) special teams studs (AAllen, Hill), and three Pro Bowl fullbacks on your list (well two, but you forgot Ovie Mughelli.) Both Rice and Dobbins were late second rounders.
    My response was directly to a poster who said that drafting guys in rounds 3-5 and plugging them in was good enough. It just isn't good enough. It's fine for role players and special teams. That's about it. Of course, the Ravens could go back to grabbing running backs off the scrap heap and yelling, "Run, Lamar, Run".

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Because no one is counting it in his case.
    The league did. He got paid for it and we got no production at all.
    It counts against him, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    The league did. He got paid for it and we got no production at all.
    It counts against him, period.

Running around saying a dude carries for 6 yards a carry that hasn't finished a season mystifies me. To add to it, he is already grumbling about not being in the teams' plans beyond this year.

The point is, he needs to STFU and let his play do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Running around saying a dude carries for 6 yards a carry that hasn't finished a season mystifies me. To add to it, he is already grumbling about not being in the teams' plans beyond this year.

The point is, he needs to STFU and let his play do the talking.
    I'm more in this camp ... without your trademark edge :)

It goes back to my reference to Billick's "potential" quote. He has certainly showed more in 23 games played to refute the idea that everything is based on potential, alone. He has showed actual production in NFL games. But it's the 30 games he hasn't played that are a concern for me.

It's not like guys don't come back from knee injuries. But his seemed pretty bad, and even in the 8 games he appeared in last year you could see he didn't have any top-end speed.

So, as I said before, I expect him to bounce back and play a full season and then we can talk about talent alone, and set aside the P word.

I will add that I'd also like to see what Monken's system looks like. I have posed the question whether he'll be used as a pass catcher, given that Monken has a reputation for getting the ball to tight ends and using WRs in the short passing game. In other words, JK could be available for every game but get limited carries and catches. In which case you could argue he's worth a big contract to a team that will use him.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    My response was directly to a poster who said that drafting guys in rounds 3-5 and plugging them in was good enough. It just isn't good enough. It's fine for role players and special teams. That's about it. Of course, the Ravens could go back to grabbing running backs off the scrap heap and yelling, "Run, Lamar, Run".
    Funny, I used to be in that camp, especially given that Gus came on as a UDFA and was as effective as Ingram. For a lot of years, it seemed like the NFL was being dominated by mid-late round RBs. Didn't look like there was any point in wasting a high draft pick on an RB.

But it seems to have changed. Pretty much all the top RBs now are first or second round picks. And the way the Ravens running game dropped off when Gus and JK went down says that you can't just plug in anybody.

I'm still not on board with signing an RB to a second contract. But using one of your top two picks on the position every four or five years seems like a good move -- especially because top quality RBs often fall to the bottom of the first, where the Ravens are usually drafting.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Aaron Jones - 5th round 1121 yard
    Jamaal Williams - 4th round 1066 yards
    Rhamondre Stevenson 4th round, 1040
    Tyler Algierer - 5h round 1035
    Tony Polllard -4th round 1007
    Damien Piece -4th round 939
    Austin Ekeler UDFA, 915
    Raheem mostert UDFA 891
    Jeff Wilson UDFA 860
    Isaiah Pacheco 7th, 830

More than A third of the league had a back drafted day 3 or not at all that rushed for more yards last year than Jk dobbins has rushed for in any of his 3 years since being drafted.

Love JK. Really do, but….

Aaron Jones - 5th round 1121 yard
    Jamaal Williams - 4th round 1066 yards
    Rhamondre Stevenson 4th round, 1040
    Tyler Algierer - 5h round 1035
    Tony Polllard -4th round 1007
    Damien Piece -4th round 939
    Austin Ekeler UDFA, 915
    Raheem mostert UDFA 891
    Jeff Wilson UDFA 860
    Isaiah Pacheco 7th, 830

More than A third of the league had a back drafted day 3 or not at all that rushed for more yards last year than Jk dobbins has rushed for in any of his 3 years since being drafted.

Love JK. Really do, but….

Not sure about that comparison. Counting numbers don't really work for a guy who has missed parts of two seasons due to injury, and was used rotationally in his rookie year. The guys on your list are bell cow running backs, who get half their team's carries. For example:

Jones: 47%
    Williams: 55%
    Stevenson: 50%

Meanwhile in JK's 3 seasons, he has had 24%, 0%, and 17% of the Ravens carries.

I'm pretty sure if JK got 200+ carries, he's put up the numbers to go with it. If he is healthy he is a better running back than any of those guys.

"If he is healthy" is of course a recurring theme, and for good reason. But day 3 draftees are not generally as talented as JK is.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Not sure about that comparison. Counting numbers don't really work for a guy who has missed parts of two seasons due to injury, and was used rotationally in his rookie year. The guys on your list are bell cow running backs, who get half their team's carries. For example:

I'm pretty sure if JK got 200+ carries, he's put up the numbers to go with it. If he is healthy he is a better running back than any of those guys.

"If he is healthy" is of course a recurring theme, and for good reason. But day 3 draftees are not generally as talented as JK is.
    Hot, although your numbers may be accurate, I think jon was trying to say that you can get a solid RB later in the draft. You don't have to spend a high pick to do so (Dobbins was a 2nd round pick). For example, the three guys you highlighted : Jones (5th round), Williams and Stevenson (both 4th round picks). That makes jon's case, no matter what Dobbins' circumstances are or were... Bc

9. Re: JK Dobbins isn't counting on being a Raven in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Why not? It seems to be our MO for WR's.

You kind of missed and got the point at the same time. These guys can be counted on the handle the load. JK has not at all shown the ability to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hot, although your numbers may be accurate, I think jon was trying to say that you can get a solid RB later in the draft. You don't have to spend a high pick to do so (Dobbins was a 2nd round pick). For example, the three guys you highlighted : Jones (5th round), Williams and Stevenson (both 4th round picks). That makes jon's case, no matter what Dobbins' circumstances are or were... Bc
    "Solid" and "could" I would agree with. But for a team built on a running game, we need better than that. I would have actually agreed you could plug anybody in before I saw what happened with Drake and Murray and Bell, etc. All the leading rushers in the NFL last year were first or second round picks.
    "Chin up, chest out."

You kind of missed and got the point at the same time. These guys can be counted on the handle the load. JK has not at all shown the ability to do so.

Yeah, I think you're missing MY point. JK hasn't had the *opportunity* to show he can handle the load. We don't know he can. We don't know he can't. He managed 800 yards his rookie year, while being third on the team in rushing attempts. If he had another 120 carries, i.e. totaled 50% of the team's attempts, how many yards do you think he would have had? We know he averaged 6.0 on the carries he did get. So if he dropped down to 5.0 because of the additional workload, that's 1400 yards. Hell, if he only managed 4.0 on those other 120, that's still almost a 1300 yard season -- and more yards than any of those mid-round backs that were listed.

Now maybe he would've gotten injured in those other 120 carries. We'll never know. We'll never know because the coaching staff decided not to give him those carries. That's not his fault, and in no way a reflection on whether he could or couldn't carry a full load. And it's silly to evaluate him on counting numbers when through injury and coaching decision he hasn't had the same opportunity as some other players. You might as well tell me Jerome Bettis is a better running back then Jim Brown. He had more yards, right? Must be better?
    "Chin up, chest out."