Anyone watching The Shrink Next Door on Apple TV? Will Ferrell plays a wealthy owner of a New York fabrics business started by his father, with serious self confidence issues that invites all sorts of people to run roughshod over him. Turns out that this includes his psychiatrist, played by Paul Rudd, who manipulates Ferrell's character to the point where the doctor is throwing lavish parties at his patient's home in the Hamptons, as if he owns the place.

It's not a ha-ha Step Brothers type role for Ferrell, but a dark comedy (based on a true story). It's an interesting, but maybe not great series. Ferrell definitely plays a different kind of role is fairly convincing as an older Jewish merchant, although Ferrell and Rudd both seem to oversell the Jewishness of their characters. I think that is supposed to be the comedy contribution to the dark comedy, but I think they could have toned it down a little.

Madden was a larger than life character. I think Ferrell could be good in the role without overacting.

I can't see John Candy playing John Madden ... other than the fact they are both dead.