Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Will more passing=more wins?

To answer the original ?= not with this QB

It's not a matter of more passing it's a matter of making big flashing plays when we need them....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I don't know exactly what you mean by more passing. More pass attempts or more passing yards? I don't know if we will attempt many more passes than last year. I do believe we will have more passing yards and more explosive plays. I think Monken will make us more explosive and generate more yards and points. I believe our additions will make us more dangerous to defend because of the balance. The passing and rushing games will be more potent.

The biggest change will be Monken's philosophies and schemes. More wins? IMO I can see 11-12 wins but more importantly a better run in the playoffs, maybe all the way to the SB.
    The defense should be improved. It should keep us in most games. The most important thing is that unlike in the past few years we have a better OC and more weapons. So if we do fall behind against other teams we will have better chances of coming back and pulling out a win.

More passing? Yes more yards but not sure about attempts. Wins? Yes not just because of more passing but because better schemes and weapons and better coaching. We'll be dangerous because of the balance and added weapons making it harder for opposing defenses to defend.

Blog Entries

Of course more wins. As long as Lamar plays, the team that shows up in the playoffs cannot be stymied by 8 in the box. There is real fear finally that there may be several other players outside of Mark Andrews that will make defenses pay.

Not only that, we don’t have an OC living off 2019 anymore, a dude that got the plays in 5 seconds before the snap only to have Ricard run a wheel route on 3 and 9.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Of course more wins. As long as Lamar plays, the team that shows up in the playoffs cannot be stymied by 8 in the box. There is real fear finally that there may be several other players outside of Mark Andrews that will make defenses pay.

Not only that, we don’t have an OC living off 2019 anymore, a dude that got the plays in 5 seconds before the snap only to have Ricard run a wheel route on 3 and 9.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Will the QB fumble a goal line rush attempt that is returned for six points?
    Will the QB thrown an INT in the end zone that is returned for six points?

More rushes? More passes?
    More playmaking.
    Make the play.

To answer the question less abstractly: at some point you reach diminishing returns. Perhaps Roman/Lamar rushing reached that point. More passing probably has more marginal utility than more rushing.

But that doesn't mean that you get the same bang for your buck when Lamar throws his 40th pass in game as you do when Patrick Mahomes throws his 40th pass.

Blog Entries

Too often we as a team are FAR more focused on having the guys to cover other teams WR groups, only to then go into the playoffs and hope that after Andrews is double covered, the Joe Schmoes we have around him will make up the difference. Which is when we’re then rudely reminded of why they’re Joe Schmoes. And the strategy fails time and time and time again, as we’re out-gunned when it matters most.

The only difference this year is that the guys outside of Andrews aren’t Joe Schmoes. They’re just injury prone, average/slightly above average Schmoes. To the point that it’s more likely, based on their histories, that they’ll be hurt, than it is that they’ll be healthy.

8. Re: Will more passing=more wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    That’s not really the question though. We all know we are going to pass more under Monken than we did with Roman regardless. Do you think it will equate to more wins than we had with the run heavy approach?
    we'll see. when the Ravens weren't mostly hurt on offense, they almost always won.

The Ravens are scrapping the "almost always wins" approach for a different one. One that's more typical of every other team, except the Eagles, who went to the Super Bowl with something similar to what Roman did. If the Ravens don't run and Lamar doesn't run, if Lamar is an ok passer, you get ok results. But Lamar can throw in enough runs to win.

Will the change from almost always wins lead to even more wins than almost always? We'll see.

The Ravens have been very hurt on offense the last 2 years, Lamar and Roman and hurt RBs and hurt WRs won more than they lost and they won a playoff game the last time the WRs and RBs weren't hurt.

I'd have to expect anything less than 2 playoff wins to be a disappointment. 2022 and 2021 were both injury years with Lamar out and WRs and RBs out. The year before, 1 playoff win. Unless they get 2 playoff wins, they're not better. The Ravens without injuries went basically 13-4. If they get more than 4 losses, they're doing worse than normal. Unless there are a lot of injuries. If there are a lot of injuries, you'd compare to 2021 and 2022.

9. Re: Will more passing=more wins?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Mac, I think it might because opposing defenses will have more to worry about. Do they load the box to negate the run, thereby leaving our newly sculpted passing game more open OR do they play back and allow our effective running game to thrive? Hopefully their concerns, added to our more balanced attack, will result in more wins... Bc

the Ravens started with Lamar and Roman 19-3 in 18 and 19.

That was mostly because Lamar was great at running and the rest of the run game was also great.

will there be more wins than 19-3?

If a whole lot of WRs and RBs get hurt, the Ravens will lose more than they would otherwise. which is what happened in 21 and 22. And if Lamar is hurt, put even more losses on there.

if no injuries - 19-3 (2 of Lamar's 5 years) is the benchmark.
    if serious injuries, not Lamar - less
    if serious injuries, and Lamar injuries - even less.

Running QBs are best

I find it very hard to believe the Harb's Ravens will deviate from strangling both the game and the clock with Rushing/ToP/Defense. Limiting opponents offensive snaps in an NFL that wants to outlaw defense has really helped that philosophy stay very relevant,imo. Coupled with a Running QB that evades sacks, is a nightmare on 4th downs and just really hard to get off the field when the OC isnt smking crack before playcalls is almost impossible to beat. Philly did pretty well playing it last year playing it with Hurts as others have mentioned.

At the end of the day will the Ravens continue to throw it exactley as much is needed to get favorable conditions for the rushing attack and just keeps teams honest in general? Yes, and thats probably a good thing. Will they get more chunck plays, 1st downs and TD's from pass catchers while keeping defenses honest because theyve upgraded WR's and better routes, concepts and play calls? How could they not? I'm a fan of Greg Roman but the play call selection is what sunk his battleship, not because Lamar demanded a coach be replaced, allegedly

A good passing game is almost a necessity to win In the playoffs at this point

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    A good passing game is almost a necessity to win In the playoffs at this point
    As are good special teams, good run offense, good pass defense and good run defense…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk