Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Daelin Hayes Waived - OLB Depth

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    People who understand football.

People who understand statistics.
    I posted that in regards to a post talking about how we hadn’t finished top 10 in sacks when we had 3 top pass rushers.

Move the goalposts, it’s cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I posted that in regards to a post talking about how we hadn’t finished top 10 in sacks when we had 3 top pass rushers.

Move the goalposts, it’s cool.

As you state here, my comment about not finishing in the top 10 in sacks was specific to the time frame we had those top 3 pass rushers I mentioned, namely Suggs, Judon, Z.Smith. Since we had none of them last year, and you decided to bring up last year's stats, it be you who moved the goalposts.

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    As you state here, my comment about not finishing in the top 10 in sacks was specific to the time frame we had those top 3 pass rushers I mentioned, namely Suggs, Judon, Z.Smith. Since we had none of them last year, and you decided to bring up last year's stats, it be you who moved the goalposts.
    Huh? I kicked a FG right down the middle of the goalposts you set up.

You used top 10 in sacks to indicate that group was sub par, while mentioning we had been subpar as long as you could remember.

By that very same metric, we “passed” just last season.

4. Re: Daelin Hayes Waived - OLB Depth

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Teams can't carry as many players as they want. I believe there is still a roster limit of 90 players during the off season. If your roster is at the max, every time you sign a guy you have to cut one as well.
    That's true, but per Jeff Z, the Ravens currently have 2 open roster slots: https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/stat...55070865080323 (I'm not keeping close track of the roster, but the Ravens currently have 88 players listed on their roster page).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Huh? I kicked a FG right down the middle of the goalposts you set up.

You used top 10 in sacks to indicate that group was sub par, while mentioning we had been subpar as long as you could remember.

By that very same metric, we “passed” just last season.

What? You read this sentence:

We somehow had Suggs, Judon, and Z.Smith at the same time for 3 years and didn't break into the top 10 in sacks any of those years.

And somehow thought posting about last year, a year none of those three were here, was an in-line response?

Hayes joins Aaron Mellette in my mind as to two preseason standouts whose careers have been derailed by preseason injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    Hayes joins Aaron Mellette in my mind as to two preseason standouts whose careers have been derailed by preseason injuries.
    Yeah, I thought they were high on him. Didn’t he get in one regular season game and get injured almost immediately? I guess it was something serious that couldn’t be fixed? Will be interested to see if he pops up somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What? You read this sentence:

We somehow had Suggs, Judon, and Z.Smith at the same time for 3 years and didn't break into the top 10 in sacks any of those years.

And somehow thought posting about last year, a year none of those three were here, was an in-line response?
    +1 purple_city. This ends this debate. Sorry you lost Jonboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    And the immortal Dan Cody
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

I'm not going to say sacks are OVERRATED, but they are not a great measuring stick for an effective pass rush in and of themselves. Without context they are useless stats.

I think what MOST here are referring to with how bad our pass rush has been is the lack of the ability to get pressure consistently with the front 4.

This is very important. We all saw what Chris Jones did in the playoffs. Even without getting sacks he was in the backfield disrupting plays.

This also allows more players to drop in coverage. Especially in Macdonalds defense where he likes to go super vanilla at times and get into drop back zone coverage, having 4 that can get pressure would be awesome for this defense.

I believe in Ojabo. But if he is as good as we think he will be, he will be double teamed and chip blocked the back half of the season.

Who will step up? I thought Oweh was that guy, but unfortunately everytime I go with "Athletic Freak" over skills I lose that bet everytime.

Even though my brain looks at Oweh and can clearly see he doesn't have any skills developed enough to consistently get past Starting tackles... My heart wants to believe his athleticism will get him to the QB. Unfortunately it won't. We saw that last season.

I've long since lowered my expectations for the Ravens pass rush. I can't remember the last time we had a consistently good pass rush. Suggs and Doom era? We somehow had Suggs, Judon, and Z.Smith at the same time for 3 years and didn't break into the top 10 in sacks any of those years. Feels like our pass rush is just always underperforming

Hopefully it's fixed this year, somehow
    “Feel like our pass rush is always underperforming”.

This is the sentence that begged the response im of the Ravens finishing 6th in sacks last year.

This isn’t rocket science, not sure why you intentionally cut this post off of your post to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Daelin Hayes Waived

I thought we had a thread for OLB discussion but couldnt find it. I already think were thin at this position, and a 3rd year player is getting cut during OTAs. I didnt have that high of expectations, but im surprised anybody is getting cut right now, let alone somebody you hope would have some potential as a young player thats missed due to injury. I think some posters here thought hed be a good sleeper.
    Perhaps there is more info now but I was surprised as well and for the same reasons. They didnt even want him to compete? He's still not 100%? never will be? For that 5 minutes he and Oweh were healthy I thought it might be a Andrews Hurst scenario, with the 2nd guy being better. Or maybe its just because looking like a better PassRush than Oweh isnt enough to exclude a player from being - get cut at the start of OTA's Tier . LuL.